Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 AM

16 posts, read 73,784 times

Advertisements

I am traveling to Ct in one month and am very interested in the Washinton Depot area. I would like to buy something between one and two blocks from the town area. I am a very young 63 year old and like walking to town every day. I now live on the beach in a So Ca beach town, it would be great but for the constant skateboarders, and throngs of people outside my window all day. I want to be able to walk to the noise and walk away from it. I would greatly appreciate some pictures of the Washington Depot area. My son-in-laws mother lived there for many years and loved it. Thank you so much for all you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Washington Depot located in Litchfield county; it is a small village, part of the town of Washington.

See this link for additional information and some photos. About Washington, Connecticut
Washington, Connecticut

Population 2000, 3600.
The town is noted for its beauty, solitude and culture in the states northwest hills. It was supposedly the inspiration for the fictional town of Stars Hollow on the WB/CW TV series Gilmore Girls.

The town is also home to the famous and historic prep school, the GunneryMr. Gunn's School (http://www.gunnery.org/gunnery/default.aspx - broken link)

Larger towns closest to Washington/Depot are New Milford to the southwest about 8 miles, and Watertown to the south east about 11 miles.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-30-2007 at 05:56 AM..

Old 07-30-2007, 06:26 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Like Skytrekker says, Washington Depot is a beautiful small village tucked in the Litchfield County hills. In fact, from what I remember, it is very small so I doubt there are a lot of homes within it or within walking distance to it. Because of its charm and natural beauty, the area has a lot of second homes for wealthy New Yorkers and celebrities. It can also be a bit pricey, but coming from California, there should be little price shock. I think you will like it there as long as you don't expect a lot of activity. There are a few good restaurants in the area and a few small shops, but there is little other in the way of entertainment. You will have to travel for that. Jay

Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Very cute, but pricey. My nephew went to boarding school there. Loved it. Skiing not far, beautiful countryside.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 PM

240 posts, read 1,372,134 times
I live 5 mi. from the Depot. Its an attractive, well settled small town. Not a whole lot to see and do! You have the Post office and IGA store on the Green, the Washington Supply Co. ( a hardware store and lumber yard) The G.W. Tavern for good eats but is a bit pricey. The MayFlower Inn is world renown and is just about 1 mile south of the Depot on Rt. 47. The Rolling Stones stayed there on a USA tour years back for rehearsals.
The downtown area, if you can call it that, is not exactly congested with homes. Most of the homes in the immediate downtown are very stately, large and older than 100 years. They are however quite the site, as someone correctly stated the people consist of celebs and wealthy part timers. They put on quite the show! The sidewalks roll up at 6pm, so unless your right on Rt. 109 or 47, its gonna be SHHHHHHHHHHHHH quiet!!
Local realtors you may check out---(I am NOT in the business) Todd Cole Realty is one and they have a website..Also Advanced Realty is very knowlegable of the area. Gooseboro realty is just up in Bantam and they list tons of Washington listings. best of luck!!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 PM

16 posts, read 73,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Washington Depot located in Litchfield county; it is a small village, part of the town of Washington.

See this link for additional information and some photos. About Washington, Connecticut
Washington, Connecticut

Population 2000, 3600.
The town is noted for its beauty, solitude and culture in the states northwest hills. It was supposedly the inspiration for the fictional town of Stars Hollow on the WB/CW TV series Gilmore Girls.

The town is also home to the famous and historic prep school, the GunneryMr. Gunn's School (http://www.gunnery.org/gunnery/default.aspx - broken link)

Larger towns closest to Washington/Depot are New Milford to the southwest about 8 miles, and Watertown to the south east about 11 miles.
Thank you so much Skytrekker, that was very informative. I enjoyed the newpaper very much.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Johnston View Post
Thank you so much Skytrekker, that was very informative. I enjoyed the newpaper very much.

Good luck in your decision making process. We welcome Californians here; we have many either returning to CT from the Golden State- and a fair number of newcomers. (I see a couple of cars with California plates each day here)

The Litchfield hills are beautiful. It will provide you with much peace.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
Skytrekker

My situation is a bit different than the original poster. I have three little bots 1,3 and 5 to raise. I understand that Washington Depot has a bunch of private schools and washington elementary etc and a bunch of second home people. How is the place for families?

I checked out East Hadden and got in touch with a realtor there. How does it compare? Seem like WD is pricier. Is it worth the extra money? Mind you, we are an American born Chinese family so that unfortunately enters into the equation. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:05 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Washington Depot is a fine upscale artsy enclave- with a great deal of ambiance. The town tends to cater to wealthy folks from New York- and elsewhere wanting the quintessential New England setting.

For a young family with kids it would not be a choice I would make.
East Haddam is far less expensive, and while not have the 'marquee' appeal of Washington Depot, is far more family friendly- the schools are good- perhaps Jay here could fill you in more regarding that issue. The famous Goodspeed Opera house is nearby- it is a very beautiful part of the state along the lower Connecticut river.

I would also consider Marlborough just to the east a bit, as well as Hebron, these towns appeal to Younger families with small kids. East Hampton, Marlborough and Hebron have quick and easy access to Hartford and Middletown - that provide culture, more diversity and sophisticated venues within a short time frame. WD is rather remote.

The extra money IMHO is not worth it in WD- there are many other far superior family oriented places in CT- for much less money. With more shopping, restaurants, culture, great schools- without the remoteness, and dare I Say the attitude.
I respectfully disagree with some of your points, Sky.

Washington doesn't cater only to those with second homes, as you suggested - the town is home to many families who have roots going back more than a century. Soccer-moms are becoming the norm and, with VERY careful planning, the town is becoming more suburban (maybe not by CT standards, but national standards, absolutely). That being said, the town is still rural and will be for years to come. Residents here like their peace and quiet.

Schools there are excellent. As Washington is small, they share a school district with Bridgewater and Roxbury. The education in these communities is top notch and rivals that of the state's best schools. The kids attend Shepaug High.

Yes, it's a bit pricey, but if you like wine, horses, snow and foliage, you will love Washington. It is far out but not THAT far. New Milford is a 10 minute drive away, depending on where in town you live. There is shopping along Route 7 here. If you're feeling the mall, Danbury is a 25 minute drive where you have access to anything you desire (almost). Hartford and New Haven are about a 45-50 minute drive, and Southbury is close as well if you like upscale, small-town shopping. Along Main St in Southbury, you have Gap, Victoria's Secret, Talbots, Ann Taylor, Starbucks, Lindt if you have a sweet tooth, many fine, family owned restaurants (Sake for sushi, Leo's for a small, beautiful diner, and highly recommended is DiPalmas for excellent pizza). There is also Kmart in Southbury for more mainstream, and Mcdonalds (with NO drive thru and no lit, golden arch.)

As far as attitude goes, I think you are generalizing a bit too much when it comes to Connecticut geography. Washington residents are incredibly friendly. I was strolling along their 'main drag' in June and residents actually come up to you and say hello, or smile as they pass by. Washington, due to it's small population, has a 'togetherness' kind of mentality. Friendly, classy and conservative.

If you can afford Washington, I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Edit - Let me also say that I am in love with this area of CT, so I may be a bit biased.

Last edited by jeremeyk482; 09-05-2007 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Just a few comments more.

Washington Depot has extremely expensive real estate- and one extraordinarily expensive Inn- the Mayflower- where rooms cost in excess of $450 a night- at those prices it is not going to attract the more 'pedestrian' among us. To say that Washington Depot is primarily A family oriented 'regular place' may be a wee of a stretch. Vernon or Middletown it is not.

I frankly feel the towns smallness, rather limited services, and remote location makes it despite its wonderfully genteel qualities not the best place for young families with small kids. There are simply better choices.

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-05-2007 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut