Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,108 times

Advertisements

We are currently renting in Southport, CT. We moved here basically for a good school, as my only son was starting his school. We are in love with this place and school. Also we are utilising all activities that the city is providing.
After renting for almost 3yrs we have decided to buy a house.
We have two options
1. Buy the Condo that we are renting in Southport.
2. Buy a single family house (which we loved) in Trumbull.
Now our dilemma is, Which option is better? Since we are not at all familiar with Trumbull, we really dont know what we will end up in.
The house that we saw is in Ceil Rd and it seems Frenchtown will be the elementary school. Some people say that frenchtown is too close to bridgeport, is that an issue? How are these places? How is the Trumbull recreation department do they offer lots of activities for kids?
If I move to Trumbull I'll be leaving everything we liked in Southport for a Single Family house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,465 times
Your decision may boil down to whether or not your family is currently involved in the Fairfield social scene. There is no "bad area" of Trumbull and the area near Bridgeport has very little Bridgeport spillover crime because Trumbull borders one of the nicest areas of Bridgeport. Southport has the advantage of resident beach access and a lively social scene for adults; the schools are also good, but there is a definitive lack of a small town, community feel. Trumbull has far less going on re: entertainment and bars/restaurants, but the community imho is friendlier and more tight knit with several large community events hosted each year. Trumbull also has a pooland some very nice parks.

If I were in your shoes I would move into the home in Trumbull. Your kids will have a much more "Americana" upbringing being raised in a house with a lawn in a town where many people go out of their way to know each other. As a point of reference, I frequently visited my grandmother in Trumbull and I knew all of her neighbors on several streets as well as all of the employees at the local library, etc. I attended college in Fairfield and people were significantly more stand-offish wherever I went. There are 2 completely different cultures between the towns.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 AM

hey Thanks a lot Kristin85 for you feedback. Do you happen to know how Ceil Rd and Frenchtown School area is?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
They are very different places. Where in Southport are you? Near the water or more inland?

There's more going on in Southport/Fairfield and you'll find it to be quieter and more traditional and suburban in Trumbull.

You can't go wrong with either choice, I think it comes down to personal preference. Either area is a good investment. A single family home tends to be a better investment, but the Southport area is so desirable it'll easily make up for it being a condo.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:29 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I agree you can't go wrong with either Southport or Trumbull. Both are great places to raise a family. The only area in Trumbull I would be concerned with is to the south of the Merritt Parkway, east of Main Street and west of Route 25. there is a ppublic housing project in Bridgeport near there that has been known to have issues. All other parts of Trumbull are truly great.

Have you considered buying in Fairfield instead of Trumbull? you may not get as much of a home but if you like the town it may be worth it in the long run. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Hey thank you all for the advice.
Yes Jay, we are looking in southport/ Fairfield. As you said we get more in Trumbull when compared to Southport/ Fairfield.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,846,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priya80 View Post
We are currently renting in Southport, CT. We moved here basically for a good school, as my only son was starting his school. We are in love with this place and school. Also we are utilising all activities that the city is providing.
If you can buy your current home, why move if you are "in love with this place and school???"

Not sure why you are having a dilemma??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut