Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:48 PM

34,969 posts, read 57,045,368 times

Advertisements

New Haven is a large city and like any large city it has its good neighborhoods and its bad. The area you are looking at is good. It is the city's central business district and there are a lot of shops and restaurants there. I am sure you will like it. You can even walk to work. It is not far and it is safe so do not worry. Good luck, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Well my husband and I don't live in New Haven and he uses a thing called a car to get to work when it snows...

Honestly, it's really not that big of a deal, our state plows pretty well and we've never had problems with him getting to work driving. If there is a storm that is VERY big, most works will either close or have employees come in late etc. No worries. I wouldn't base where I live around where I think it would be easiest to get to work in the snow. We have 3 other seasons that it doesn't snow.
I would base where you will live on what you can afford, safety, and how far your work is for a commute that's not too long.
The OP says she's working at Yale-New Haven Hospital. The hospital doesn't close on bad snow days.

What you (the OP) might find out, is if employees are allowed to use the Yale shuttle for transportation to and from work at the hospital. If they are, then that widens your options a bit, since the Yale campus is pretty spread out.

Also, I would personally avoid the side of the city that includes Congress Avenue, as a woman living there alone. It's definitely not a suitable place for you to walk around at night. Also I'd steer clear of the few blocks in the immediate vicinity of St. Raphael.

If you can find affordable accommodations anywhere inside the blocks including State, Chapel, Howe, and Broadway, you'd be right in the heart of Yale and it's all more or less walkable to the hospital (depending on the weather).

Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,153,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also, I would personally avoid the side of the city that includes Congress Avenue, as a woman living there alone. It's definitely not a suitable place for you to walk around at night. Also I'd steer clear of the few blocks in the immediate vicinity of St. Raphael.
Agreed on that.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 AM

627 posts, read 1,059,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
New Haven doesn't get a lot of snow, since it's along the coastline. It's a little milder there. Do you have a car, or were you planning to use public transportation?
Ha! There was so much snow on the streets in New Haven this winter it was hard to even walk anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut