Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM

22 posts, read 151,484 times

Advertisements

I have job offers at both of these hospitals and am looking downtown for a 1 or 2 br apt. Does anyone have an opinion on the two hospitals, maybe a past experience with either one, maybe word of mouth, or maybe you actually work at either one.

Also, I'm seeing a bunch of great 1 and 2 br apt's in downtown or east rock on craigslist. Any opinion on this? I am a 31 y/o male, single, physician assistant and live not far from New Haven but am unfamiliar with it on the whole. I think I may take a ride there next week to spend a day and early evening there.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM

172 posts, read 577,897 times
I had both of my babies at Yale and my husband has had surgery at St. Raph's. Both are excellent hospitals and doctors in the area are often affiliated with both. My personal opinion is that Yale has a better reputation and that there is a little more "prestige" asociates with working there. I know Yale is a teaching hospital, not sure about St. Raph's. Given the choice between the two in an emergency, I would personally select Yale every time. If it has to do with my kids, I would only go to Yale as their children's hospital is top notch (and kids are often transferred there from other are hospitals for serius issues).
There are some neighborhoods in New Haven that are awesome and some that are very dicey. I would definitely avoid the neighborhoods in and around Dixwell Ave. Other people here can be more specific with area names. The areas downtown by the green and East Rock are better choices. A drive through the above neighborhoods will definitely help you get your bearings and narrow it down.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:29 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,100 times
My BIL works at YNHH and loves it their. Though for my own personal care i would prefer to use st raphs

Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 PM

66 posts, read 217,238 times
St Raphael Hospital saved my Dad from a staph infection in his chest after cardiac surgery at a New York City hospital. He spent 2 months at St Raph's. They are the best!!!

Last edited by JayCT; 05-05-2008 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 05-05-2008, 02:45 PM

97 posts, read 395,941 times
I know of nurses that worked at St. Raphael's and loved it. Yale is also a good teaching hospital, just check out the apts and areas.....new haven is a tough place with alot of personality!!! good luck with your career

Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM

6 posts, read 23,383 times
Both Yale and St. Raphael's are great hospitals. My most recent experience has been with St. Raphael's and I can't say enough for their radiation oncology department. How much you want to spend on an apartment determines the quality of the building and the neighborhood. Also, finding an apartment in New Haven can be difficult during certain times of the year. It can be hit or miss. A drive around New Haven is a good idea, especially if you are with someone who can show you the sights. Afterall, getting around New Haven is really very easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: