Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2007, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 13,919 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Bolton, CT later this month from Rockland County, NY (northern suburb of NYC). While the town seems great and we are pleased with our choice, Bolton is VERY small and seems to have less than 10 businesses.

Just curious if a local can give some insight into where you'd go:

a)grocery shopping-I have been to Highland PArk and see that that is a nice specialty market but for the once every other week bulk shopping trips (i.e. Stop & Shop or the like) where would you go?

b)Discount Club-Is there a Costco/Sam's/BJ's nearby?

c)Restaurants-esp places where you could get good take-out. Also, a little more upscale.

d)McDonald's-I know...I know. But with a four year old...an occasional fix is necessary.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 07:02 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,982 times
Welcome to the area! I would assume that Manchester would be the closest thing to you for groceries. They have a Stop & Shop, Big Y, and Shaw's. Vernon has a Price Chopper...I am not sure what would be closest, it depends on what area of Bolton you will be living in.

The Buckland Hills area is in Manchester and home to every chain store you can think of. There is a mall there, plus a bunch of big box stores (clothing, book stores, everything you can think of) all located right next to each other in a 2 mile strip. It sounds awful, but it is actually convenient to have everything together instead of sprawled out. In this area there is a BJs and a Sam's Club. There is no Costco around, the closest is up in Enfield on the Mass. state line.

I think JViello has mentioned he lives near Bolton. I am sure he'll have good restaurant recommendations for you. Speaking of which, you must get a cheeseburger at Shady Glen which is on the Manchester/Bolton line (in Manchester). The fried cheese on it is genius.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the info and for the welcome. I will be living on the very extreme south end of town off of Hebron Rd.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
There is a new Italian restaurant in Bolton that was rated 3 stars in the July 2007 CT magazine. Georginas

Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
The closest major shopping area would be Broad Street and the Parkade area in Manchester. It has Shaw's and Stop & Shop plus a lot of nice smaller shops. THere is a Mcdonalds near there on West Center Street across from the Courthouse. There is a Shop Rite Supermarket on Spencer Street in Manchester, right off exit 1 of I-384. Also, Willimantic is not far in the other (about 12 miles) direction down Route 6. It has a Stop & Shop and Mcdonalds. Welcome to Connecticut and beautiful Bolton. Jay

Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Thank you all. I am really excited about the move. I look forward to participating on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut