Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's kind of strange. We looked at a few houses in Fairfield and the Realtor did say that the station is a huge indicator when people choose locations of homes, but handwritten letters? That sounds a little fishy, but I could be wrong. If it's legit, it could be due to the lack of homes that are on the market right now. There isn't a lot to choose from out there.

Did they call the number(s)?
They did not call the numbers since they are not interested in selling. I will say that the homes are modest in size and would probably be in the lower range for Fairfield. I wondered too if this might not be a builder looking for a tear down. A tear down house on a nearby street sold in two days on the market to a builder that will likely knock it down and build new. I am wondering if this is the same. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Are you sure it's not realtors? I've gotten like 3 "letters" handwritten since I moved into my house that at first glance look like buyers, but a little more investigation and it's actually a realtor trying to solicite business. "If you decide to sell your house, let us know! We're interested!"
The return addresses were not local. One was from Stamford (I did not see that letter since it came two weeks ago) and the most recent from Bedford, NY. I doubt an agent would use a NY return address but you never know. Jay

Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 PM

I have tried to explain this before but let me explain it again. Right now it is about 4 miles from Tunxis Hill to the station in Fairfield Center. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the existing station. When Fairfield Metro opens it will be 1.5 miles to the new station and will take 5 minutes. Instead of a half hour round trip for someone dropping you off, it is now less than 15 minutes. To you that may not be much but to others it makes a big difference.

As for your opinion on whether the new station is needed or not, that is your opinion and not the opinion of most others. Just because the town does not want a large hulking garage that would be larger than any other building in the center of town does NOT mean the town is backwards. It means that they value the character of the community. I think it was very progressive and smart thinking to go with a new station. It increase property values on a side of town that does not have as high property values as the other. It provides 1,400 needed parking spaces and it allows for future expansion if needed. What is backward about that? Jay

Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 PM

462 posts, read 737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have tried to explain this before but let me explain it again. Right now it is about 4 miles from Tunxis Hill to the station in Fairfield Center. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the existing station. When Fairfield Metro opens it will be 1.5 miles to the new station and will take 5 minutes. Instead of a half hour round trip for someone dropping you off, it is now less than 15 minutes. To you that may not be much but to others it makes a big difference.

As for your opinion on whether the new station is needed or not, that is your opinion and not the opinion of most others. Just because the town does not want a large hulking garage that would be larger than any other building in the center of town does NOT mean the town is backwards. It means that they value the character of the community. I think it was very progressive and smart thinking to go with a new station. It increase property values on a side of town that does not have as high property values as the other. It provides 1,400 needed parking spaces and it allows for future expansion if needed. What is backward about that? Jay
1400 spots is NOTHING. Prospective buyers would still be YEARS away from having one. And how exactly is a parking garage such an eyesore anyway? Is it really any worse than a massive parking lot? Is it worse than all the empty retail locations downtown? You make it sound like downtown Fairfield is the same caliber of downtown Westport. It's not. There's no history there. It's not Faneuil hall. It's not even Wooster st. It's the downtown area of a working CITY. It's time to get it out of the dark ages. "Build it in someone else's backyard". I'm sorry, but it doesn't get any more backward than that.

You know what those people in Tunxis would rather do than get dropped off 2 miles from their houses? Actually have a place to park, 4 miles away. Let me guess, YOU already have a spot, don't ya?

Last edited by SVTJayC; 05-31-2011 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times
I agree that not going with a garage was poor planning on Fairfield's part. Lower Fairfield County needs to get with it when it comes to the region's transportation/commuter needs.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 PM

490 posts, read 1,789,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
You know what those people in Tunxis would rather do than get dropped off 2 miles from their houses? Actually have a place to park, 4 miles away. Let me guess, YOU already have a spot, don't ya?
He does not commute. He can't relate...

Old 05-31-2011, 03:16 PM

Fairfield Center may not be as upscale as Westport but I will say it is certainly as active. In fact Westport is looking at what Fairfield has done in the center to update their zoning regs for the downtown area. There is a character to the center despite what you think. Maybe you need to walk around there a little to see it. The Community Theater Building, the Library, Tomlinson School and the banks as well as the shops have charm and a multistory garage would be out of place. I guess you do not see it but most people do which is why Fairfield is such a desirable town.

Also Fairfield may have a few empty stores but so does Westport and most towns in this country. The recent financial recession did a number on smaller retailers that usually the ones that occupy space in downtown areas. You will see those spaces (and there are not a lot) fill quickly.

Also Fairfield is NOT a city. Most Fairfielders will get very angry if you call it that. Bridgeport and Stamford are cities and if you want that type of character, then move there. Fairfield is a town and one that has a LONG history. It is a LOT more than just a bedroom community for New York and Stamford and if you bothered to learn about it you might have a better appreciation of it. Jay

Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM

462 posts, read 737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Fairfield Center may not be as upscale as Westport but I will say it is certainly as active. In fact Westport is looking at what Fairfield has done in the center to update their zoning regs for the downtown area. There is a character to the center despite what you think. Maybe you need to walk around there a little to see it. The Community Theater Building, the Library, Tomlinson School and the banks as well as the shops have charm and a multistory garage would be out of place. I guess you do not see it but most people do which is why Fairfield is such a desirable town.

Also Fairfield may have a few empty stores but so does Westport and most towns in this country. The recent financial recession did a number on smaller retailers that usually the ones that occupy space in downtown areas. You will see those spaces (and there are not a lot) fill quickly.

Also Fairfield is NOT a city. Most Fairfielders will get very angry if you call it that. Bridgeport and Stamford are cities and if you want that type of character, then move there. Fairfield is a town and one that has a LONG history. It is a LOT more than just a bedroom community for New York and Stamford and if you bothered to learn about it you might have a better appreciation of it. Jay
Small retailers like Barnes and Noble? We'll see how long that one is vacant as that is the one that worries me the most. Fairfield has its share of charm, I've been frequenting the downtown area for years, even before I lived here, and it's part of the reason we chose it over Norwalk. But if you think a parking garage, where there is now just a massive open parking lot, would be unsightly, then I guess I can't possibly relate to you. Never mind the fact that you wouldn't even SEE it from the Post rd drag, the fact is it's needed. People don't like cell phone towers and strip malls either, but we've got those downtown because they are necessities. The bottom line is, this new station did NOT solve ANY of the current transportation issues, and im sure if polled, far more of these Tunxis residents you claim to care about, would side with me, and my KRAZY idea of having parking spots near a train, vs this idea of adding yet another train station with no parking for them.

As for the city debate, it's semantics. A population of 50k is certainly up there. If you're looking for a quaint little town, maybe YOU should consider a place like New Canaan, or Katonah.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 05-31-2011 at 07:13 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,941 times
Which piqued me to ask a question I've wanted to ask:

How many mins is considered walkable to train station? 5/10/15?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM

Barnes & Noble? Are you talking about Borders? I am sure it will not be vacant long if they can straighten out the lease issues with the Bankruptcy Court (that can take forever but it will hardly be the end of Fairfield Center if it takes some time).

I suppose you also would like the town to pave over Sherman Green for parking since it is so needed. And you want the state to replace the scenic and historic Merritt Parkway with a super highway. These are the things that give this area its character and to distroy them would distroy what people move to Connecticut for.

1,400 spaces is a lot of parking and it will go a long way to reduce the waiting list for parking spaces. Sorry if you do not feel that it is enough or not in the location you want. If having a structure to park cars that is larger than any building in the downtown area is what would make you happy, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

And I have asked a lot of people in Tunxis Hill about the station and they do see the benefit of it. Why wouldn't they? It is pretty obvious that it will only add to the value of their property.

As for my ties to Tunxis Hill, much of my family lives there and has for nearly 100 years. How long have you lived there? Did you ever think that the reason you chose to live in Fairfield over Norwalk is because the people in Fairfield made a lot of good decisions as to what the town should be like. They invested in ggood schools and parks. They did not allow high rise buildings. They set up strict zoning and stuck by it. They expanded lower density zoning so the town would not become a city (at one time it was projected that the town would have over 100,000 people when fully built out, now it is around 60,000). Without those decisions Fairfield would be another Norwalk or Bridgeport. And I do not think anyone in Fairfield wants that. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut