Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 AM

462 posts, read 737,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Barnes & Noble? Are you talking about Borders? I am sure it will not be vacant long if they can straighten out the lease issues with the Bankruptcy Court (that can take forever but it will hardly be the end of Fairfield Center if it takes some time).

I suppose you also would like the town to pave over Sherman Green for parking since it is so needed. And you want the state to replace the scenic and historic Merritt Parkway with a super highway. These are the things that give this area its character and to distroy them would distroy what people move to Connecticut for.

1,400 spaces is a lot of parking and it will go a long way to reduce the waiting list for parking spaces. Sorry if you do not feel that it is enough or not in the location you want. If having a structure to park cars that is larger than any building in the downtown area is what would make you happy, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

And I have asked a lot of people in Tunxis Hill about the station and they do see the benefit of it. Why wouldn't they? It is pretty obvious that it will only add to the value of their property.

As for my ties to Tunxis Hill, much of my family lives there and has for nearly 100 years. How long have you lived there? Did you ever think that the reason you chose to live in Fairfield over Norwalk is because the people in Fairfield made a lot of good decisions as to what the town should be like. They invested in ggood schools and parks. They did not allow high rise buildings. They set up strict zoning and stuck by it. They expanded lower density zoning so the town would not become a city (at one time it was projected that the town would have over 100,000 people when fully built out, now it is around 60,000). Without those decisions Fairfield would be another Norwalk or Bridgeport. And I do not think anyone in Fairfield wants that. Jay
You never answered the question. Do you already have a spot?

1400 spaces is not enough to fix the problem, not even HALF WAY. It might as well be zero. You have failed to address the point I'm making. Why would someone care that a new train station that they still have to drive to, is now open? Wouldn't they prefer a spot at the old one? Isn't THAT a better selling point? These are rhetorical, because the answers are obvious. YOU just don't want it in YOUR backyard. That's my problem with some of the people in this town. As long as THEY are taken care of, they couldn't care less about the rest of us.

Some "strict" zoning laws btw. They seem to amend them every time some politician has some stupid pet project, like this train station, and that useless softball field. Where were you and the rest of your cronies when they were voting to plow over the wetlands to build that thing?

I don't live in TH. I do however pay taxes in Fairfield, and sorry, but that's all that matters. I get the same say you do. This is New England (and barely at that). I believe you and your pals get that confused sometimes with regular England.

Fairfield ALREADY has an abundance of empty retail buildings, we don't need any more.

We aren't talking about putting in a prison and a nuke plant. We are talking about a god damned GARAGE. If you think that a garage would turn Fairfield into Norwalk, then you haven't been to Norwalk too many times.

Ick. I can't wait until all you backward people retire down to Florida. Enough of you holding back progress on the backs of the rest of us.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 06-01-2011 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Which piqued me to ask a question I've wanted to ask:

How many mins is considered walkable to train station? 5/10/15?
Anything more than a solid 15 minute walk is not walkable. I mean technically I can walk to the dowtown station, it's only a couple miles. I guess if I got up at 5 everyday, and got home at 9, i could do that

Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
You make this sound like I am the one that made this decision. It was made by many people in town. It went through a full review process by the RTM, the Board of Finance and the Board of Selectmen. There were numerous public hearings and opposition to the station was minimal.

As for your question, I do not commute to NY so I do not have or need a parking space. I do not live in Fairfield but I do pay taxes there just like you. I am sorry you are having such a hard time with parking and the new station will help some people. Maybe even you, depending on how many want spaces there.

Your comment on wishing us "backward" people would retire and move to Florida is just rude. I have not insulted you but I can tell you there are a lot of long time Fairfielders who wish some of the newer pushy people in town would leave. If you really dislike Fairfield that much then just move. Jay

Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
You make this sound like I am the one that made this decision. It was made by many people in town. It went through a full review process by the RTM, the Board of Finance and the Board of Selectmen. There were numerous public hearings and opposition to the station was minimal.

As for your question, I do not commute to NY so I do not have or need a parking space. I do not live in Fairfield but I do pay taxes there just like you. I am sorry you are having such a hard time with parking and the new station will help some people. Maybe even you, depending on how many want spaces there.

Your comment on wishing us "backward" people would retire and move to Florida is just rude. I have not insulted you but I can tell you there are a lot of long time Fairfielders who wish some of the newer pushy people in town would leave. If you really dislike Fairfield that much then just move. Jay

It's not you personally I resent (especially now that I know you don't even live here). It's people who do, who think like you. Your sense of intrinsic entitlement because you were "here first" is grating. It's people like you that killed Super 7. You weren't thinking about how those people in Danbury's property values would go up were you? Or how it would make the prospect of getting around this state something above the coordinated crawl it currently is. People like you think "Rt 7" is an acceptable means of bisecting a county full of densely populated towns. People like you are A-OK with folks having to fight (sometimes literally, I've seen it) over parking spaces so they can get to work. People like you think construction projects, empty buildings, gas stations, etc, are fine, just as long as they aren't in your backyard. Your comments about how "long time Fairfielders..." tells me all i need to know. I won't leave. We (the people you resent) won't leave. We'll fix this place. Starting in November, when we oust the fools running it.

And before you categorize me as some anti-environmentalist...I was against that stupid softball field. An entire park wiped out so 50 girls could play a game. THAT was despicable... I'm talking about replacing a dilapidated parking lot with a garage. They killed a public park.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
It's not you personally I resent (especially now that I know you don't even live here). It's people who do, who think like you. Your sense of intrinsic entitlement because you were "here first" is grating. It's people like you that killed Super 7. You weren't thinking about how those people in Danbury's property values would go up were you? Or how it would make the prospect of getting around this state something above the coordinated crawl it currently is. People like you think "Rt 7" is an acceptable means of bisecting a county full of densely populated towns. People like you are A-OK with folks having to fight (sometimes literally, I've seen it) over parking spaces so they can get to work. People like you think construction projects, empty buildings, gas stations, etc, are fine, just as long as they aren't in your backyard. Your comments about how "long time Fairfielders..." tells me all i need to know. I won't leave. We (the people you resent) won't leave. We'll fix this place. Starting in November, when we oust the fools running it.

And before you categorize me as some anti-environmentalist...I was against that stupid softball field. An entire park wiped out so 50 girls could play a game. THAT was despicable... I'm talking about replacing a dilapidated parking lot with a garage. They killed a public park.
Well stated. Just an added note, Jay does have history with the town of Fairfield, and gets very defensive when someone talks smack about it. Sorry, Jay.

Quote:
That's not saying much though. I disagree that Fairfielders are "backward" but I will say that they certainly are not progressive. I think stagnant would be a good word - and that goes for all of lower Fairfield County. The territorial mindset of these people needs to change. A parking garage wouldn't ruin the quality of life - give me a break. There are many ways a garage can be constructed. Hide it, or build it underground like they do in Stamford and Greenwich. The idea that people are preserving an untouched quality of life in Fairfield is ludicruous. It's a nice town, but we're not discussing a small town in New Hampshire or Maine - we're talking about Fairfield, CT - a large suburb north of NYC.

The elitist mindset of "not in OUR town" coupled with a ratrace = large drain on quality of life for the region. That is why we didn't move to Fairfield.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 AM

If I didn't live here, I wouldn't feel like I had the right to "talk smack" either. But I do. The reasons I moved here are still here, but those reasons would in no way be harmed by a parking garage.

Oh and btw, that new train station coupled with the massive office park extravaganza, will probably make my commute in and out of my neighborhood a living hell. So thanks for that. Again, what do you care, you don't have to look at it.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Oh and btw, that new train station coupled with the massive office park extravaganza, will probably make my commute in and out of my neighborhood a living hell. So thanks for that. Again, what do you care, you don't have to look at it.
Really? After all of your ranting about super 7, the lack of a garage, and the NIMBYism, you're now b**ching about something that affects you?

Pot, kettle.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Really? After all of your ranting about super 7, the lack of a garage, and the NIMBYism, you're now b**ching about something that affects you?

Pot, kettle.
Not ranting, just pointing out that SOMEONE always pays the price for progress. Just because YOU or I don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. A garage wouldn't have added any traffic. This new project does. The folks commuting past Fairfield on 95 will get hit the hardest though.

To be clear, I am not "unhappy" about the new station, I just don't buy the company line that it was necessary or that it solves any of the real problems. A garage would have solved the problem.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:23 AM

332 posts, read 522,835 times
Two random points:
1 - Even though the new station might cut off 5 minutes from the trip to and from the station, it will add 5 minutes to the train ride. So, basically a wash.
2 - For those still hung up on super 7, I advise you to read this: Streetsblog Capitol Hill » Study: Building Roads to Cure Congestion Is an Exercise in Futility
The fundamental law of road congestion is that building roads does not help traffic. It just increases the number of cars.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Not ranting, just pointing out that SOMEONE always pays the price for progress. Just because YOU or I don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. A garage wouldn't have added any traffic. This new project does. The folks commuting past Fairfield on 95 will get hit the hardest though.

To be clear, I am not "unhappy" about the new station, I just don't buy the company line that it was necessary or that it solves any of the real problems. A garage would have solved the problem.
I'm not too sure where you live, but almost everyone I know in Tunxis, Grassmere, and Black Rock that have lived here for ages wanted this (I live there now). Second, this was a project largely started by the State, the choices were either put the main station out of commission for many years doing the upgrade or build new on a brownfield no one developer in their right mind would touch. Third, this is will also help out Black Rock by giving easier access to the rail line.

A garage at the main station wouldn't have added traffic? That's pretty insane when you think about it. Although I agree an underground garage would be a nice fix, it would add traffic my hundreds of cars into 2 lane roads. And as well, if the town or state did nearly ANYTHING with the parking they'd have to upgrade the station in huge ways.

And what are you looking for with empty retail spaces? Most of them are filled in Fairfield, some are empty because of national bankruptcies of the tenants. EG Borders became a Book Warehouse in no time flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut