Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
Try finding a 6 figure salary job in NH/VT/RI. I'd love to move to NH too, but the pay scale is 60% at best. Worse in some sectors. You gotta pay to play baby.
Um, ok. You do know that many many people here do not have 6 figure jobs, right? It actually is expensive to live in CT, and $9 is a lot to pay for parking, especially considering our tax burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Try finding a 6 figure salary job in NH/VT/RI. I'd love to move to NH too, but the pay scale is 60% at best. Worse in some sectors. You gotta pay to play baby.
You don't need a six figure job just to survive there like you do here. That's the point.

I have no interest in moving to NH, but it doesn't change the reality that the taxes and COL in CT is among the highest in the nation. That 6 figure job is not getting you much here.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:42 AM

462 posts, read 737,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You don't need a six figure job just to survive there like you do here. That's the point.

I have no interest in moving to NH, but it doesn't change the reality that the taxes and COL in CT is among the highest in the nation. That 6 figure job is not getting you much here.
No, it doesn't. But nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to live here.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't. But nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to live here.
Look, I chose to stay here. That doesn't mean I have to roll over and play dead.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Or keep their company here.

Hear that giant sucking sound?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Um, ok. You do know that many many people here do not have 6 figure jobs, right? It actually is expensive to live in CT, and $9 is a lot to pay for parking, especially considering our tax burden.
WHAT tax burden? We pay some of the lowest property taxes in the area, and state income tax/sales tax right on par with the area. I'm sorry, but if you want to live within a short clip of NY and Boston, it's not going to be cheap (and with the exception of FF county, most of CT is pretty damn cheap). Plenty of affordable housing in Arizona.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Or keep their company here.

Hear that giant sucking sound?
Awesome. There will always be people to replace them. My industry isn't going anywhere. As pricey as it is, it's still cheaper than NYC.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
WHAT tax burden? We pay some of the lowest property taxes in the area, and state income tax/sales tax right on par with the area. I'm sorry, but if you want to live within a short clip of NY and Boston, it's not going to be cheap (and with the exception of FF county, most of CT is pretty damn cheap). Plenty of affordable housing in Arizona.
I could not care less about NY or Boston-I haven't even been to Boston since 1994! And NYC, a couple years. I don't live in the 'area' of Boston or NYC. I live in Ct, and I pay high property taxes.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I could not care less about NY or Boston-I haven't even been to Boston since 1994! And NYC, a couple years. I don't live in the 'area' of Boston or NYC. I live in Ct, and I pay high property taxes.
Well, unfortunately they are as low today as they will ever be. So get used to it. But to stick your head in the sand and ignore the reasoning for the area to be expensive, is silly. I don't have kids, but i still have to pay for other people's kids education. Just because you don't get utility from something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Awesome. There will always be people to replace them. My industry isn't going anywhere. As pricey as it is, it's still cheaper than NYC.
Oh they get replaced. I'm guessing you are not old enough to remember 1991? It led to 250,000 well educated middle class folks leaving the state. It was back filled with low income spillover from NY. Another 100K left in the last decade, again replaced by low income spillover from NY. With what's happening now, you can expect that trend to accelerate.

No offense but your attitude and mindset is what is pushing CT into being land of the section 8 ghetto or million dollar homes without much in between.

P.S. Just wondering who backfilled for Pfizer and Bayer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut