Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Cambuium I agree with ya. I've noticed many dangerous situations since Irene struck, notified power co. and have YET to see them come out and do a THING!
This is strange! It's like the storm didn't hit us at all, the way the power co is acting!
That's sad about Milford homes, our friend's brother used to live out that way.. nice town... poor things...
They didn't give us much warning at all either, on the local TV channels. Not everyone's got Weather Channel you know, even those with basic cable may not!
Yeah, the workers for the public utilities co shudn't be STANDING around BSing, after a major hurricane! People are without power, running out of food, have no lights at nite.. etc...
This is going to end up in a disaster for many folks who didn't even have a tree hit their house!
CL&P get on the stick! Get' er done! People need your help!
Not much warning? Really? It was a weather headline in every daily newspaper, when it was still forming around the islands. If you passed a newspaper box, then you had access to the information, for free. No cable necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
There another tropical storm and it's going to be a hurricane. Hope that one dont come here

Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
Default Not all waves have a high interval of time twix them mkiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
You could never surf the water we had. Too much churn, rip tides, rapid succesion, etc. You wouldn't come out alive, no matter how good of a swimmer you are. Surfers surf big waves, but they are big, gradual waves that have a high interval of time in-between them. The water for this was violent.
we know this for a fact since we lived right next to the ocean for years. But I saw some of the waves coming in up north, and they did look spooky.
Where was it a surfer lost his life? In Virginia this weekend? Did they say why? Rip currents or something?
Nope, just FYI lots of surfers do go out in the ocean before a big storm hits. They get the big waves that way, and that's what they live for!

So , how do the beaches look down at the coast now mkiv? Are they ready for ppl to come down and hang out on the beach and go swimming?
Or are the public beaches CLOSED, cuz stuff is so messed up from Irene??

Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
There another tropical storm and it's going to be a hurricane. Hope that one dont come here
Thanks for bringing this up. I think that everyone on this forum needs to scroll down to the WEATHER thread and check out "Katia."

In fact, I think that, from now on, the entire east coast needs to keep an eye on the tropics during hurricane season, not just Florida, the Carolinas and the Gulf states.

I really can't imagine if Katia were to go up there as well....

Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I still don't have power and probably will not have it for most of the week. I was listening to 1400 am in Stamford; apparently, over 1,000 power lines are down in the city alone. Some people don't even have running water! A few traffic lights through out town are still off, though they quickly fixed the one close to my house, wish they would had connected us to grid while they were in the area. Oh well... I drove around town after the storm and from what I saw, the worst area was Shippan Point, mostly large tree branches fallen all over the place. A car was stuck on a flooded patch on the avenue that skirts a small delta, near Cove Park and the Darien town line. By the look and smell of things, I think the sound flooded all that area. The antenna atop the Landmark Square highrise in Downtown, apparently was blown away.

Despite all of this, I'm not complaining. I went to Barnes and Noble and bought a nice book to red in the following days, since without electricity there isn't much to do at home. A few days without power is alright, most of our ancestors lived without power during their entire life and the fact we're here is a sign they did at least ok. A few days is no big deal.

However, thank God for cellphones and car chargers! LOL
Yes, I was correct about Long Island Sound flooding Weed Ave! These guys video taped it:

Ungodly1's Channel - YouTube

Old 09-02-2011, 07:03 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Yes, I was correct about Long Island Sound flooding Weed Ave! These guys video taped it:

Ungodly1's Channel - YouTube
Cute little waves.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Finally got power back here!

We had no electricity/water for five days. They set up several places down here at the coast for public showers and to get free water. I had a lot of tree damage, and some roofing shingles blow off, but other than that not much damage. My peak wind gust was 57 mph, little rain fell however. Right on he beach however, the wind seemed much stronger, maybe gusts to 75 - mph.

Here are some pics I snapped of tropical storm Irene’s passage. I thought I would be able to get more, but it's hard to get down many coastal roads at this point. The day before the storm I was in Westerly, the waves were close to normal. The day after I went along the coast, but could only get a few pics, as many areas were closed off. My area around East Lyme/Saybrook was not hit too hard; mostly overwash on the coastal roads.

The day before was a nice beach day, good south swell and the water was warm (74 F):

Houses boarded up near Groton:

Storm surge near my house. Water came to within about 20 feet of my house, tide was about 6 feet above normal. These people lost most of their stuff on the first floor:

A good sized (50 footer) sailboat parked on someone’s porch/deck on the coast of Branford:

The tree damage was really bad in sections (middle Beach area of Madison/Westbrook/Old Lyme/East Haven). Here a tree crashed through the roof of a nursing home in Westbrook:

The storm surge was by far the worst part of Irene. I didn’t get any pics from East Haven (cops/National Guard everywhere), but I got a few sections of the coast near Westbrook:

Last edited by wavehunter007; 09-02-2011 at 09:10 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
I was just talking to a girl from Groton and she said that none of the beaches are open right now.. they got so much damage in the coastal towns! : (

Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Milford:

Old 09-02-2011, 08:55 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Milford:
Sick...Sick picture. Thank you guys for sharing the pics.

I'm still amazed the swell was that great from a weak Tropical storm.

Best way to visualize what a Hurricane does over the water is to think of a Plunger. It basically pulls up and pushes down on the water creating those large waves in the open water and pushing the water against the shore.

There's a stat I gotta find out... Whats the max wave height reported in the open seas from irene... I think I heard 1 buoy reporting 25' waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut