Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
That is such a long trip. How long does it take you door to door? I drive a friend to LGA often and it takes 50-55 minutes from Milford most days. "Driving in the city" is not really fair as you don't have to go through Manhattan.
3 - 3.5 hours. But I spend the time reading, relaxing, etc., before and after my trip. Maybe I am crazy, but I prefer to let others do the driving.

M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin2theEast View Post
Hey guys I had a question,
I wondered what the best method of transportation (ease of use or cost effective, although ease is more important), to JFK at around 2 in the afternoon on a weekday from New Haven would be? I have never flown out of JFK before and wondered if I could get some savvy advice from ya'll!
Thanks in advance!
Easiest way via public transport would be

Amtrak from New Haven to New York Penn Station ($36) one way
If you buy the ticket at least 2 weeks in advance its ($27) one way

Penn station to Jamaica Station via LIRR ($7) one way
Jamaica station connects to JFK Airtran ($5) one way

Your total cost ranges from ($39-$48 one way) which I would compare against parking fees at JFK + gas + tolls. For me if I have to park more than 4 days its less expensive to take public transport.

FYI - Penn station is the hub for LIRR + NJ PATH so you can also get to Newark (EWR) from Penn station too.

It is possible to take Metro North to GCT and then JFK but it takes more time and you may have to ride as many as 4 trains to get there.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
3 - 3.5 hours. But I spend the time reading, relaxing, etc., before and after my trip. Maybe I am crazy, but I prefer to let others do the driving.
That's more than double what it would take even if you hit 30 minutes of traffic in Norwalk or Stamford. I would never recommend this, especially for someone who has never flown out of JFK before.

We flew out of LGA 3 weeks ago and had CTS Limo pick us up. It cost about $190, so not cheap by any means, but it was easy as heck. Took us just over an hour without traffic from New Haven.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's more than double what it would take even if you hit 30 minutes of traffic in Norwalk or Stamford. I would never recommend this, especially for someone who has never flown out of JFK before.

We flew out of LGA 3 weeks ago and had CTS Limo pick us up. It cost about $190, so not cheap by any means, but it was easy as heck. Took us just over an hour without traffic from New Haven.
Don't listen to kidyankee. He just got LUCKY. It usually takes an hour just to cross the whitestone bridge and get through the van wyck(total of 6 miles). Never mind if there's an accident on the Merritt or 95. Trust me as someone who has done this trip MANY MANY times. Unless you're willing to miss your flight, give yourself at least 3 hours to get there and that's assuming you're not leaving in the height of rush hour in the morning.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Plus, mike, the 55 minute claim does not take into account you still need to be at the airport 2 hours early for JFK or LGA. At least 90 for Bradley. The time differential is strictly the drive-time.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Don't listen to kidyankee. He just got LUCKY. It usually takes an hour just to cross the whitestone bridge and get through the van wyck(total of 6 miles). Never mind if there's an accident on the Merritt or 95. Trust me as someone who has done this trip MANY MANY times. Unless you're willing to miss your flight, give yourself at least 3 hours to get there and that's assuming you're not leaving in the height of rush hour in the morning.
I didn't just "get lucky". I planned my flights around traffic times (early AM). It never takes an hour to cross the Whitestone unless you're in the dead of rush hour, and even then you're likely looking at 40 minutes MAX. The Van Wyck can be a pain but, as I said, plan your arrival time at the airport accordingly. Be smart about it.

FWIW, I have also done this trip many, many times. Perhaps you need better planning.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:39 PM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I drive my friend to the airport all the time. From Milford, we give ourselves 1.5 hours to get there, sometimes 2 hours if the weather is bad. 9 out of 10 it's done in under 90 minutes, and 2/3 times it's around an hour.

The last time we went, we hit a 30 minute (!) delay on the Merritt, a 20 minute delay at the Whitestone/678 and a 10 minute delay on Grand Central Parkway. This was at about 3PM on a weekday with really bad rain and lots of accidents. Took us 2 hours total for LGA. That's the longest it's taken for me.

As long as you don't go at rush hour, 3 hours is not necessary. It really is all about the timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Plus, mike, the 55 minute claim does not take into account you still need to be at the airport 2 hours early for JFK or LGA. At least 90 for Bradley. The time differential is strictly the drive-time.
OK, what? 2 hours early? You mean counting an extra hour for incidental traffic time?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
I'm saying the NY metro airports recommend wisely being at the airport 2 hours in advance of boarding time. Bradley's recommendation is 90 minutes. That portion has sqaut to do with drive time, so when the 55 minute guy was comparing to 3.5 hours, it should have been 2 hours and 55 minutes required. And no, I would NEVER bank of no traffic!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I'm saying the NY metro airports recommend wisely being at the airport 2 hours in advance of boarding time. Bradley's recommendation is 90 minutes. That portion has sqaut to do with drive time, so when the 55 minute guy was comparing to 3.5 hours, it should have been 2 hours and 55 minutes required. And no, I would NEVER bank of no traffic!
Always plan for traffic, but as mkiv said, you likely won't hit too much if you plan it right. We usually get there 90 minutes early, and still have time to grab breakfast at the gate.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:13 PM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
I fly a lot for business, and I arrive at JFK/LGA/Bradley 1 hour before departure and I'm ok every time and usually have a little time to spare to get something to eat. That's for domestic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut