Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:09 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,529 times

Advertisements

Just got a letter from CLP about their proposed rate increases for December 2014 that they submitted to the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority. If this goes through get ready for some major increases in your bill.

Couple things from the list.

Customer service charge going from $16.00 to $25.50 Increase of 59%

Distribution charge per KWH $0.02757 to $0.03183 Increase of 15% (You pay this for every Kilowatt you use.)

Better hope you don't need to get your lines reconnected at your pole or meter. These increase seems crazy.

Reconnect at Meter same day $35 to $100.96 Increase of 188%

Reconnect at pole residential $60.00 to $183.61 Increase of 206%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,376 times
Omg I'm so surprised. And we won't get anything else for the additional cost. Welcome to ct (and the tri-state) where you pay more for less.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Worked on a house in Fairfield that had solar panels. She even had them install 2 extra ones. Does the whole house and provides extra energy. She asks the power company to cut her a check every now(yes, they pay her) and also gets free electric.

I'm seeing more and more homes with solar panels because prices have come down a lot and installers are easier to find.

This may be the only way to go

She also showed me everything is accessible through the internet. She actually knows what the weather was like because the chart of her energy production would be low during cloudy days and high during sunny days but she always had enough to power the house even after a few cloudy days.

Im almost glad they have plans to raise it, we should all get away from these monopoly money grubbing rip off dirty energy companies.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,352,471 times
What happens when you have a monopoly...

My parent's medications were originally $4 when two companies made the same thing. Once one cut it, the price rose to $60-75 a bottle. They force consumers to pay more when they have the monopoly.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:52 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Worked on a house in Fairfield that had solar panels. She even had them install 2 extra ones. Does the whole house and provides extra energy. She asks the power company to cut her a check every now(yes, they pay her) and also gets free electric.

I'm seeing more and more homes with solar panels because prices have come down a lot and installers are easier to find.

This may be the only way to go

She also showed me everything is accessible through the internet. She actually knows what the weather was like because the chart of her energy production would be low during cloudy days and high during sunny days but she always had enough to power the house even after a few cloudy days.

Im almost glad they have plans to raise it, we should all get away from these monopoly money grubbing rip off dirty energy companies.
If I remember correctly cl&p is actually trying to get rid of the "pay back" system. There is a fee they are going to charge to people who have solar panels.
CL&P Planning A Sneak Attack On Solar | CleanTechnica

Even when people try to do the right thing we always get the short end of the stick.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,172,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
If I remember correctly cl&p is actually trying to get rid of the "pay back" system. There is a fee they are going to charge to people who have solar panels.

Even when people try to do the right thing we always get the short end of the stick.
I'd fight these charges tooth and nail. I don't pay cable vision as a non-subscriber. Same for the water company for those of us on septic/well. Complete bs.

Brian have these chargs.been approved or simply proposed?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:46 AM

627 posts, read 1,059,080 times
A story on the increase:
CL&P Rate Increase Has 59 Percent Jump In Customer Charge - Courant.com

A smart company would have raised the customer service fee and cut the distribution rate, since their argument is that distribution costs are not directly related to power usage. But this is CL&P.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
A story on the increase:
CL&P Rate Increase Has 59 Percent Jump In Customer Charge - Courant.com

A smart company would have raised the customer service fee and cut the distribution rate, since their argument is that distribution costs are not directly related to power usage. But this is CL&P.
So sorry to hear this and you know stories like this one may give other "service outlets" the feel to go ahead and propose their (now that somebody else did so) increases even if they're not a monopoly.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:26 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

That's ok... If you're usual electric bill is $250 and you have solar power, they can charge $50 a month and you'll still be ahead of the game. Just gotta make sure you stay in that home to recoup the initial investment of solar. But I think you can now transport them to the new home. Not totally sure.

I didn't read the story but I'm sure someone who has 1 panel vs someone who has 20 panels wont get hit the same with their "fee"

Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I'd fight these charges tooth and nail. I don't pay cable vision as a non-subscriber. Same for the water company for those of us o septic/well. Complete bs.

Brian have these chargs.been approved or simply proposed?
They have not been approved. The hearing with the CT Public Utilities Regulatory Authority is in December. It will probably pass based on past increases getting passed.

The main issue I have with these increases are they not tied in with energy efficiency. These rates are based on basically just being hooked up to the grid. So if you conserve power you will still pay the rate increase..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut