Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:13 AM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times

Advertisements

Wow. I have friends who are a lesbian couple that have a daughter. All I can say is they are decent, intelligent, caring people. And, their daughter is very fortunate because she will grow up being a wonderful loving, creative, and accepting person.

On my planet, the God/Source/Universe/Higher Self I acknowledge only cares that people follow the golden rule. Everyone on my planet should enjoy the same rights. On my planet, 2012 doesn't signal the end of the world, but the end of an age of out-dated thinking. Some people are ready for this, some clearly are not. Things like the end of DADT are a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 05:31 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't want to force you to accept my viewpoint. I want the same rights you enjoy. Period.

The real difference is you want to legally oppress and discriminate against a group you don't belong to.

I seek to take nothing from you. You already have the very rights and protections I seek. I just don't understand why you so vehemently oppose my equality when it costs you nothing to support it.
Having lived in San Francisco and witnessing the freakshow that goes on in public there, I can understand people hesitation to accept gay rights. However, having a brother who is gay, who I would defend to the death, I'm on Marks side on this one. This is something people are born with, no doubt in my mind.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Having lived in San Francisco and witnessing the freakshow that goes on in public there, I can understand people hesitation to accept gay rights.
I agree... also,
Gay or lesbian should not be confused with "pervert". It's a shame too many people make that assumption. There are many perverted activities that go on in the heterosexual community as well... Las Vegas, Amsterdam, etc.. Not all gays or lesbians are perverts.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
I don't want to force you to accept my viewpoint. I want the same rights you enjoy. Period.
Like what? What are you being denied right now in this state that makes you oppressed? Go ahead, the stage is yours.

As the civil rights movement has shown, you can pass all the laws you want, but you can't change people so if you are trying to get acceptance, a law is probably not the best avenue for that.

Quote:
The real difference is you want to legally oppress and discriminate against a group you don't belong to.
No I don't. I want a private organization, even those I don't agree with to have their constitutional right of association respected.

The real difference is you want to force your ways on me and my children to accept and be taught it's perfectly normal. Don't think so?
U.S. District Judge Mark L. Wolf yesterday dismissed a civil rights lawsuit brought by David Parker, ordering that it is reasonable, indeed there is an obligation, for public schools to teach young children to accept and endorse homosexuality. Read more: Judge orders 'gay' agenda<br> taught to Christian children Judge orders 'gay' agenda<br> taught to Christian children

Gay Agenda in Schools - YouTube

Public School - Gay Agenda - YouTube
Quote:
I seek to take nothing from you. You already have the very rights and protections I seek. I just don't understand why you so vehemently oppose my equality when it costs you nothing to support it.
You have rights beyond what I have. Hate speech ring a bell? We are both protected by all the same criminal laws. You want to talk about enjoying personal rights? We have one point blank and center in the constitution, yet you folks while "fighting for rights" are doing your best to take that fundamental right away from us.

18 Year Old Preacher Assaulted - YouTube

You want to talk about being persecuted and your rights being violated? (The first amendment.)

Here is one of your "tolerance" laws taking away the free speech rights of Americans.

Kevin Arrested for preaching the gospel - YouTube

Man punches street preacher in the mouth - YouTube

There are examples all over the place...yet, it seems Christian bashing is just fine. Assaulting a Christian for expressing his/her views is acceptable too even though it has a constitutionally protected right to free speech and expression. You don't have a problem with that though, just some cause about rights I'm still trying to figure out you are denied.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
I agree... also,
Gay or lesbian should not be confused with "pervert". It's a shame too many people make that assumption. There are many perverted activities that go on in the heterosexual community as well... Las Vegas, Amsterdam, etc.. Not all gays or lesbians are perverts.
Not one person, no where in this thread has that been mentioned. WTH are you getting that? It seems you are trying to set up a straw man here.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:40 AM

I was responding to Tetto's comment about the freak show that goes on in public in San Francisco. (I clearly quoted him on that). He's probably talking about certain perverted acts that take place in public there. I was pointing out that it's unfair that many people assume that all gays/lesbians are like that. If you think I was thinking YOU thought that way, I'm sorry. I meant that some people in general think that way, and it is sad. I have other things to do this morning, and did not have time to write a book to thoroughly explain every point. I apologise for that.

Sorry, I may be "simple" because of it, but I don't know what you mean by "trying to set up a straw man". .. never heard that expression before.

Last edited by itscolduphere; 09-24-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 01:19 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times
Any private entity should be able to make their own rules. That is the point of being private. If someone finds those rules offensive, find another entity.

however in regards to gay people, my husband and I both have cousins who are gay. It was clear that they were not like other boys from the time they were young. Oddly enough they both come from "man's man" type of families. My husband's uncle was in the marines. My uncle is as conservative and religious as one can be. I really think don't our cousins are gay because of their environment or how they were raised. I can't imagine anyone doing anything that would "make" a child grow up gay.

It is unnatural in a sense that gay people cannot procreate. But you know what? I can't procreate either. Nature decided that kids weren't for me.

Even our pastor believes that gay people are born gay. But as a pastor, he believes that they should refrain from having sex and lead a celibate life. But he also believes that anyone who isn't married should lead a celibate life as well, so that would include heterosexual single or divorced people. Not very realistic and unlikely to happen. But at least his beliefs are consistent.

I've met a few men in my life who I believe with all my heart were gay and just afraid to come out of the closet. They ended up getting married and having kids, but honestly, I'd hate to be their wives. I'd be waiting to be McGreevey-d any day now. I wanted to say, the *** is up, just be gay already.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 09-24-2011 at 01:29 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Should the school then, as a "private" organization have the right to discriminate against blacks? If not , please explain how the situation is different.

Yes, I do plan to keep asking until someone answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Any private entity should be able to make their own rules. That is the point of being private. If someone finds those rules offensive, find another entity.

however in regards to gay people, my husband and I both have cousins who are gay. It was clear that they were not like other boys from the time they were young. Oddly enough they both come from "man's man" type of families. My husband's uncle was in the marines. My uncle is as conservative and religious as one can be. I really think don't our cousins are gay because of their environment or how they were raised. I can't imagine anyone doing anything that would "make" a child grow up gay.

It is unnatural in a sense that gay people cannot procreate. But you know what? I can't procreate either. Nature decided that kids weren't for me.

Even our pastor believes that gay people are born gay. But as a pastor, he believes that they should refrain from having sex and lead a celibate life. But he also believes that anyone who isn't married should lead a celibate life as well, so that would include heterosexual single or divorced people. Not very realistic and unlikely to happen. But at least his beliefs are consistent.

I've met a few men in my life who I believe with all my heart were gay and just afraid to come out of the closet. They ended up getting married and having kids, but honestly, I'd hate to be their wives. I'd be waiting to be McGreevey-d any day now. I wanted to say, the *** is up, just be gay already.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do plan to keep asking until someone answers.
I guess mine didn't count because you didn't like the answer.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The more things change...

What part of the first amendment and private school do you not get? Give it up.
Even though it is a private school I don't get why they are allowed to discriminate.

If they had discriminated against blacks or women it is not allowed, but gays and lesbians do not have the same protection under the law.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut