Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 PM

242 posts, read 299,481 times

Advertisements

Noone cares. We can't get 7 connected to 84, we can't expand the merritt, we can add cameras but not use them for enforcement, we can add little merge sections but not actual lanes to 95. My fil used to say that if we had less entrances and exits it would've helped, but I don't see that happenning anytime soon. I don't regularly commute- but I expect to have stopped traffic heading towards norwalk - bridgeport is usually open until the merge .

Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,972 times
It's been said many times that if we had to build the interstate system in the country today, it could NEVER get built because of the red tape and special interests groups. It costs millions and takes years just to do a "study" of the impact of adding an extra lane. Look at the historical lobby on the merrit parkway. That road needs to be turned into a safe interstate. THey make up less than 1% of people and their crazy The silent majority needs to speak up.

Another major problem specifically about fairfield country is the cost of real estate to build a road. It's outrageous to buy land.(which you need to do to expand or build a highway)

Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 AM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Im in it morning and night commuting to NY. The merritt south from exit 48-42 in the morning sucks. If I hit it after 6:30 am, forget it. Takes 30-40 minutes. Insane.
That's how it is from Black Rock to the rest stop in Fairfield on 95 s. It's a complete bottleneck as early as 6am.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
If we had unlimited funds and superior mass transit technology, and a cityscape to support it, I'd love to see a subway system installed. It'd take you from surrounding commuter parking lots into the cities, with stops along the way. Example:

From the Exit 2 off the exit 10 connector off I-91 north (Devine Street, Hamden). A subway entrance, perhaps with a little coffee shop and news stand. The train would go to Hamden Plaza, where it'd pick people up near the corner of Skiff and the old Toys r Us building. From there, it'd tunnel back under, until it got to Dixwell and Putnam, where it'd pick up/drop off passengers there. Then, it'd follow under Dixell til it got to the Broadway area and drop people off somewhere near the Yale Co-Op. From there, it'd head to the central hub somewhere around the vicinity of the Knights of Columbus building, at which point it'd turn around and head back out again.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 AM

588 posts, read 1,873,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
It's been said many times that if we had to build the interstate system in the country today, it could NEVER get built because of the red tape and special interests groups. It costs millions and takes years just to do a "study" of the impact of adding an extra lane. Look at the historical lobby on the merrit parkway. That road needs to be turned into a safe interstate. THey make up less than 1% of people and their crazy The silent majority needs to speak up.

Another major problem specifically about fairfield country is the cost of real estate to build a road. It's outrageous to buy land.(which you need to do to expand or build a highway)
For the Merritt, the main problem is the historical bridges all along the parkway. Each one would need to be torn out...unless of course they just built a new wide bridge to go OVER the historical one's. There are also a bunch of spots where there is only a small bit of space to the side of the highway before large drop-off's or cliffs going way up. If they had 6-12 months with no passengers, they could probably get it done. At least in the problem areas from 49 down to the mid 30's.

95 is easier to expand - I believe CT or Metro North owns the right of way to expand the highway. I think MTA is looking to add extra train lines over time, but we'll see.

The "impact study" is important - population density is so much higher than it was in years past, which is why they have to really look carefully at all factors involved. I don't agree with keeping a bridge just because it looks pretty - tear it down, widen the road, and build a new pretty bridge.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
tear it down, widen the road, and build a new pretty bridge.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Merrit would not be an issue anymore if I-95 was widened. People use the merrit becuase of I95 right now. Once they see I-95 flows freely they wouldnt need the merrit...leave the Merrit alone..

Eminent domain.. take away all lane and expand 5 lanes each way Greenwich to Bridgeport, 4 lanes Each direction from Bridgeport to Milford.

Im starting to like the toll idea at the border to get this done.

And no..... 4 lanes will not do it... take a look in Stamford where there is 4 lanes...not enough today. 1990s would have been...not for today, not for tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Eminent domain.. take away all lane and expand 5 lanes each way Greenwich to Bridgeport, 4 lanes Each direction from Bridgeport to Milford.
Bridgeport to New Haven. Traffic on 95 near the Kimberly Ave exit of West Haven is just as bad as in Norwalk.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:06 AM

Found maybe a good blog which gives details of traffic and accidents on Ihate95.

The BlogJam - Connecticut News

Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 AM

Looking at this felt good for some reason...

This postcard, published not long after the Connecticut Turnpike opened in 1958, shows an interchange in Fairfield County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut