Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

This must be the cousin to the brother of the original "pet" that got loose.

Alert: Mountain Lion Sighted in East Haddam - East Haddam-Haddam, CT Patch

"Nothing to see folks, there ARE NO MOUNTAIN LIONS IN CT! Honest. Swear to God." (What's that? they found another one?) "We are currently determining what zoo is releasing these animals into the wild".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:00 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
"The other mountain lion came back to life, I swear!" -DEP

Old 10-27-2011, 08:45 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
LOL... I didnt follow what their agenda was last time... You guys saying DEP wants us to think there's no wild animals out there or the opposite?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
They want us to think there's no mountain lions in this area, that they are somehow someone's escaped "exotic pet"......I believed it at first but now it's multiple times so I have to wonder as well.....

Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
This must be the cousin to the brother of the original "pet" that got loose.

Alert: Mountain Lion Sighted in East Haddam - East Haddam-Haddam, CT Patch

"Nothing to see folks, there ARE NO MOUNTAIN LIONS IN CT! Honest. Swear to God." (What's that? they found another one?) "We are currently determining what zoo is releasing these animals into the wild".
There's a ton of cougars though

With the zoo debacle in Ohio, and given that I heard people here say that there are private zoos in Greenwich, I wonder if these zoos are safe and hopefully they are not released into the open some day

Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
They want us to think there's no mountain lions in this area, that they are somehow someone's escaped "exotic pet"......I believed it at first but now it's multiple times so I have to wonder as well.....
Ahh thanks. We can't be that stupid.

I tell you...what confirmed it for me was seeing the Deer "RUN" parrallel with the merrit on the grass and looking back into the woods as if they were terrfied of something chasing them.. This was before any reports...then the report came out and I was convinced.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ahh thanks. We can't be that stupid.

I tell you...what confirmed it for me was seeing the Deer "RUN" parrallel with the merrit on the grass and looking back into the woods as if they were terrfied of something chasing them.. This was before any reports...then the report came out and I was convinced.

Deer run all the time. Coulda been a dog or person scared them, or a mountain lion. I'm just saying that I dont think our deer would have learned to fear a cougar any more than anything else at this point. I sure dont doubt that a few of the cats are here though. Thing is, if there were enough that the deer 'knew' about them people would have been seeing the cats in trail cameras etc. I think its just a natural expansion and the cats dont realize that in CT, they will reach the beach before they reach country remote enough for them. In a way its sad, I'd love to have a more natural balance of nature in CT but the fact is that theres too many of us for big predators to fit in. I think the bears will do ok here, but they're omnivores, giant racoons for all intents & purposes and are happy eating carrion, bugs, plants & when things go just right fresh meat. Big animals that only eat meat need bigger undeveloped places to roam than we have to offer.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:26 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
Last month the local New Fairfield - Sherman weekly newspaper ran an article about a Mountain Lion sighting in Pootatuck State Forest in New Fairfield. The First Selectman’s office described it as a credible sighting that she reported to DEEP.
DEEP’s position in response to her was “the evidence does not support the existence of mountain lions in Connecticut.”
Regardless of the State’s position, the First Selectman’s office put out “An alert now” telephone call reminding residents to be aware and mindful when out hiking the woods of New Fairfield, especially when alone because of the numerous bear and coyote sightings and now “large cats.”

I guess we’ll never know if it truly was a mountain lion, but when a local official describes it as “a credible sighting” it kind of sort of makes you think.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:29 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Last month the local New Fairfield - Sherman weekly newspaper ran an article about a Mountain Lion sighting in Pootatuck State Forest in New Fairfield. The First Selectman’s office described it as a credible sighting that she reported to DEEP.
DEEP’s position in response to her was “the evidence does not support the existence of mountain lions in Connecticut.”
Regardless of the State’s position, the First Selectman’s office put out “An alert now” telephone call reminding residents to be aware and mindful when out hiking the woods of New Fairfield, especially when alone because of the numerous bear and coyote sightings and now “large cats.”

I guess we’ll never know if it truly was a mountain lion, but when a local official describes it as “a credible sighting” it kind of sort of makes you think.
I believe the DEP drops the ball, for whatever reason, but I don’t see what makes the first selectman qualified to deem what’s credible and what isn’t.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:38 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I believe the DEP drops the ball, for whatever reason, but I don’t see what makes the first selectman qualified to deem what’s credible and what isn’t.
Who knows... no details were provided regarding who reported the sighting. Perhaps someone she knows personally and trusts his/her judgment? For instance I have a very good friend in town who is a big game hunter (annual hunting trips to New Mexico, Wyoming, Idaho). If he told me he spotted a ML while out hunting coyotes in New fairfield (which he does do), I’d believe him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut