Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 20,506 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Hartford and I dont know much about the city.
I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe area. My big worry is that I read that Hartford has a very high crime rate and it is quite unsafe especially in the evening. In the different reviews, the common opinion was to stay away from downtown Hartford. Most people complained that apt buildings welcomed section 8ers (to a european does not mean much but I guess it is what in the UK we call chavs living in council buildings) and that cars got broken into all the time...
I am mainly looking for a place with mainly young professionals.
So far I shortlisted the following...
Regency Towers,
Clemens Place
Westwynd apartments in west hartford
711 Farmington Avenue.

After looking at some of the reviews over here I am also taking a look at the Lofts at Main and Temple but I am fearing a bit too expensive. I have also read about the Linden apartments but I could not find anything about them...

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, advise on Hartford and where it would be best to live....
Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,669 times
Actually right downtown is where you would want to be. Plenty of young professionals right in the heart of the city. Crime is really an issue in certain areas of the city and not widespread, downtown is relatively safe. The Linden I think are condominiums so renting one would rely on if the owner is renting.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Downtown is safe as is the West End and the South End. I understand that Clemen's Place is a nice older group of apartments however I heard that there have been management issues there. Not sur eif that is still true. You might also consider West Hartford for a place. Nice upscale town. Jay

Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM

Thank you Srib and Jay...
so downtown is safe are there managed apartments you would recommend there?
are there shops/grocery stores around that area?
thanks for your help!!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:34 PM

Probably the nicest apartment building downtown is the new Hartford 21 building. It is right in the heart of the city next to the Civic Center and a block from Bushnell Park. It is a stunning structure but is pretty pricey. Lofts on Main is another which you know about. There is turmbull on the Park and 55 on the Park. not sure what they go for and there are some new ones going up across from Lofts on Main but I am not sure they are ready yet. There are a couple of other new buildings going up in the area, but I do not know their names. Maybe some others here can help.

As for grocery stores, that is a problem. The owners orf Hartford 21 are promising a store soon. They had a deal with a local store to occupy a spot there but that did not work out. They still insist another store will be there. We will see. Jay

Old 01-29-2008, 04:07 PM

thank you so much Jay..
I checked out Hartford 21...wow...from the pics, it is such a beautiful building and the aprtments look great but it is pricey...the apts start at $1400 so I will have to forget about that one...lol
I have now enquired about Turnbull on the park, Bushnell on the park (1bd is at $1275 but all utilities are included...is it worth it?) and the lofts at main and temple....
do you know where is the nearest grocery store? something that can be compared to Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury....do you guys have anything like that over there?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:00 PM

94 posts, read 419,719 times
I don't think Clemens Place is a very safe area. I know a few people who lived there several years ago and their cars were broken into. I also know someone who was mugged nearby. The apartments weren't that nice and they weren't well managed.

711 Farmington Ave is just past the Hartford/West Hartford border. Keep in mind that Farmington Ave is a very busy street. You may hear a lot of street noise from the apartment.

I don't know anything about the Regency Towers, but I had several friends who lived nearby in the Woodland House. The area is ok, but not somewhere I'd necessarily walk around alone at night. You'd be near St. Francis Hospital, so you'd probably hear ambulances often.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:46 AM

NY2CT...thanks for your comments...I need all the help i can get...it's difficult to find the right place....
so far I have been using apartmentratings.com to screen the apartments...
and there are quite few bad reviews about Clemens Place...
have you recently moved to CT from nyc?
I will be spending 40% of my time in nyc for work but fortunately I will be staying in Chelsea and i have already everything sorted for there

Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,459 times
Whatever you do, Stay away from Woodland House!! The apartments for rent there are condos owned by individuals and managed by a management group. There is a huge communication gap between renters and the property managers to the point where tenants are treated like second class citizens. There are alot of senior residents in the building (apparantly it used to be some sort of luxury apartments in the 60s) and they think they still live in some sort of luxurious high end apartments. Oftentimes you feel like you live in a senior citizen home, and the seniors do not take too kindly to new residents.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM

This thread is over 2 year old. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut