Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,926 times

Advertisements

I am moving to New Haven in April to work at Yale and am looking for an apartment. We answered an ad for a place at 175 West Park Ave, across the street from Edgewood Park and are wondering if anyone knows the neighborhood and can comment on it. We're not afraid of urban areas, but we don't want to live in a warzone, either. It looks nice on google maps, but looks can be deceiving. Any input on this area of New Haven would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
It's a nice street, but it is near good and bad parts. Directly south and east of there can be pretty nasty, with a lot of the city's crime bring concentrated there (most of it, frankly). West of there is Westville, which is one of New Haven's nicer areas.

Last edited by Stylo; 03-02-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
dkv

96 posts, read 156,527 times
Not a warzone, but not an area I would choose to live in.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:12 PM

23 posts, read 68,389 times
I disagree with both comments, the area is a lovely one (I live just a few blocks away, and walk along West Park Ave a lot). The neighborhood is 100% residential, and is relatively safe. The Google Maps is a bit outdated; the intersection of West Park & Elm now has a gorgeous roundabout to calm traffic. I know people who live along the street, and they are wonderful people, so I can assure you that you will meet terrific neighbors. 175 is in between two bus lines that both go to Yale, if you'd like to use public transit, and a downtown bike route three blocks away, on Edgewood Avenue.

West Park is nice. There is a walking path on the street level, and if you walk down a staircase across the street, there is a pedestrian street with fields, a duck pond, and more.

The downs: Whalley Avenue from Pendeleton to the Grasso Boulevard isn't my favorite place to walk down, however, Elm Street just a block away is a nice and peaceful street. There aren't really any markets in that area, but a six block walk will bring you to a nice supermarket.

I'd really encourage you to check out the area. Don't listen to the other two responses, it really is a safe and nice neighborhood. Most of the city's crime is located far away from the neighborhood. It is indeed near Westville, which is known to be one of the nicer area, however, West Park is only surrounded by fields and the Edgewood Park Historical District.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 PM

158 posts, read 198,551 times
That street and area is PERFECT. Don't listen to the first two comments. Throw in that you are fine with urban areas and you won't regret it one bit. You have the beautiful park right there. The streets throughout are tree-lined. You can walk to the bus lines and walk to Westville Center at Whalley Ave for a couple of breakfast, food places, and stores... You are in a nice part of town. The only downside is it may be a little too quiet.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 PM

I'd be happy to take some pictures of the area, too, if you'd like.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I used to live 2 blocks from there (Elm St). I was living there as a single female for 2 years and really liked the neighborhood. It is a city, so yes, there are city issues but it is a safe area if you use common sense, e.g. don't go walking through the park at 10 pm at night.

I had great neighbors that were very friendly. On street parking was never really an issue (that only sucks on street sweeping days and when the snow plow would do its thing burying the cars). I used to always walk down Edgewood towards Central Ave- nice neighborhoods. I would easily choose to live there again.

The area to avoid is heading towards St. Raphael's Hospital. You'll notice Norton St, Winthrop, etc. are fine at the Whalley end then steadily decline towards the hospital. That area pretty much sucks but you really would have no reason to walk around there.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 AM

70 posts, read 210,220 times
Default Second That

I second this comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHWise View Post
I disagree with both comments, the area is a lovely one (I live just a few blocks away, and walk along West Park Ave a lot). The neighborhood is 100% residential, and is relatively safe. The Google Maps is a bit outdated; the intersection of West Park & Elm now has a gorgeous roundabout to calm traffic. I know people who live along the street, and they are wonderful people, so I can assure you that you will meet terrific neighbors. 175 is in between two bus lines that both go to Yale, if you'd like to use public transit, and a downtown bike route three blocks away, on Edgewood Avenue.

West Park is nice. There is a walking path on the street level, and if you walk down a staircase across the street, there is a pedestrian street with fields, a duck pond, and more.

The downs: Whalley Avenue from Pendeleton to the Grasso Boulevard isn't my favorite place to walk down, however, Elm Street just a block away is a nice and peaceful street. There aren't really any markets in that area, but a six block walk will bring you to a nice supermarket.

I'd really encourage you to check out the area. Don't listen to the other two responses, it really is a safe and nice neighborhood. Most of the city's crime is located far away from the neighborhood. It is indeed near Westville, which is known to be one of the nicer area, however, West Park is only surrounded by fields and the Edgewood Park Historical District.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:57 AM

I just took a video of my bike ride down West Park Ave from one side of the park, to the other. It starts by Edgewood Avenue, and goes down the road towards Whalley Avenue. Right by Whalley Avenue, I get off the street, and into the pedestrian path by the park, towards the Holocaust Memorial.

west park avenue - YouTube

Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 PM

I'm having some trouble getting the video on, it will be there soon though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut