Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times

Advertisements

Back at the end of February the weather was so nice we decided to go to a place that I had read about for several years and always wanted to see in Connecticut. This past winter we hiked in several areas of the Tri-State/Middle Atlantic, going through the Pine Barrens in New Jersey and walking along the coast of Assateague Island National Seashore (amazingly beautiful, wild, and windswept). I felt bad that I didn’t spend much time in the natural areas of Connecticut this winter.

So I Feb 19th I went to what some consider the most unusual natural place in Connecticut –The Rhododendron Sanctuary. Nestled in the mild climate of the southeast Connecticut, this botanical wonder is in the middle of a swamp forested Atlantic white Cypress and native rosebay rhododendrons up to 20 feet tall with massive deep green leaves. That’s right – wild Rhododendrons. Those of you more familiar with hiking and the flora/fauna of the USA, might remember that most wild Rhododendrons are normally found in the foot hills of the central/southern Appalachian Mountains (from Georgia to West Virginia) and in the Pacific Northwest coast. There are still some surviving patches through the lowlands of NJ, CT, and RI from what I’ve read. We actually have the largest concentration of wild Rosebay Rhododendrons north of West Virginia here in Connecticut.

Atlantic White Cypress (Chamaecyparis thyoides) is another rare tree native to the Atlantic coastal plain. It grows on wet sites on the coastal plain at altitudes from sea level up to 50 meters from Mississippi to Rhode Island –and is one of only two native Cypress trees to the eastern USA. The area is part of the Pachaug State Forest in Voluntown along the Rhode Island state line. So we decided to take a look on a mild day near the end of February. I finally got around to downloading the pictures to my drive.

The Rhododendron Sanctuary was an unusual sight; As we entered we moved over the lowland swamp covered with thick and deep green moss:

As we got deeper into the swamp - we saw the first few wild Rosebay Rhododendrons:

Then suddenly, the were huge tangles of towering green Rosebay Rhododendrons so thick one could not see into the forest. The leaves seemed way larger than typical landscape Rhododendrons:

Then we saw the first bark of the Atlantic White Cypress. Some of the Cypress trees looked more than 120 feet tall:

Overall it was interesting to see and a nice way to spend a winter day in an unsual forest environment for the Tri-State area. Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 10:17 AM

633 posts, read 1,645,413 times
The image dont feel very winter lol

Old 03-18-2012, 02:59 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
That was cool, I'd like to check that out.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:10 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Very cool!

Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Same location as Mount Misery.

So if you do the Nature Trail I recommend hiking to Top of Misery.

Mount Misery · Trails of Freedom
"Its low elevation of 441 feet allows hikers of all abilities to reach its twin summits, providing expansive views of Connecticut and Rhode Island"

Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Interesting. The Rhododendron Sanctuary actually looks more like Virginia than Connecticut.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Interesting. The Rhododendron Sanctuary actually looks more like Virginia than Connecticut.
This reminds me of the movie The Last of the Mohicans I saw the other day. The movie supposedly takes place up near the Adirondacks (Lake George area) but they actually filmed it in the mountains of North Carolina.

They are pretty similar in some aspects but the vegetation gives it away that it is not the Adirondacks. First is that there are not enough pine trees and also there is ALOT of rhododendrons in the movie lol. Anyway, it is still a great movie.

To Wavehunter. It almost look like it is not winter in your photos. I wish we had more places like that in the NE. Would cheer things up a bit in the winter.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 AM

633 posts, read 1,645,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This reminds me of the movie The Last of the Mohicans I saw the other day. The movie supposedly takes place up near the Adirondacks (Lake George area) but they actually filmed it in the mountains of North Carolina.

They are pretty similar in some aspects but the vegetation gives it away that it is not the Adirondacks. First is that there are not enough pine trees and also there is ALOT of rhododendrons in the movie lol. Anyway, it is still a great movie.

To Wavehunter. It almost look like it is not winter in your photos. I wish we had more places like that in the NE. Would cheer things up a bit in the winter.
But is it that Mohicans native to northwestern of Connecticut, as well?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 AM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Very nice WH! Thanks for sharing.....

Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
But is it that Mohicans native to northwestern of Connecticut, as well?
I think you mean the Mohegan Indians of Connecticut. The Mahican Indians lived in the Upper Hudson Valley. The Last of the Mohicans mostly takes place in the Lake George/Fort WIlliam Henry area of New York. Yet the younger Indian is named Uncas, the same name as the famous Mohegan chief oF Connecticut. So the theory is that either James Fenimore Cooper combined the two tribes for his book or he got them mixed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: