Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:08 PM

96 posts, read 124,974 times

Advertisements

This is also my first post, yay!

I'm offered a summer internship with BMS at Wallingford and I'm still deciding whether to take it or not. The problem is that I do not drive and as far as I know, there is no decent public transportation in that area, if anything at all. (I guess I can rent a car but let's just say I prefer low carbon emission at this point.)

The company is helping me find a solution. They suggest living in Meriden and rely on bus+bike to commute everyday. Now Meriden seems a run-down town and I've read some bad things about it on this forum. Is it safe to walk around or bike around in Meriden, especially after dark. As an Asian guy, I'm also interested to know if the city is friendly and open minded (i.e. not racist). And equally important, are there anything fun to do over the weekend, given that I have no friend in that area yet?

I'm not a picky guy and I can survive 10 weeks anywhere but the point is, if the living conditions are going to make me feel miserable, I could be better off somewhere else.

Any of your thoughts will be very helpful and much appreciated. The company has been really nice to me so I'd rather let them know my decision asap so that they can arrange accordingly. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:20 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
Hmmm..that's a tough one. I suppose I would say it depends on the area of meriden. Near Hubbard Park is a good area and I would walk around there after dark, the area near Thomas Hooker School is also a great choice. However, there are areas that I would avoid.

I will admit if you want fun things to do on the weekend, it will be tough to find anything without a car. It really is hard to get around CT in general without one.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:37 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Meriden isn't as bad as it looks. It's not the prettiest city, but it's still below average in crime for the US.

Wallingford Center is definitely nicer as a walkable community. You could live there and bike or take a taxi to work.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM

24 posts, read 37,484 times
Let me know what street you're looking at. In general anything close to Wallingford is pretty decent. I work there a lot, and know most of the town. Pick up a paper map of meriden. The center of the map is very congested and it's blown up on the back side of the map and it's in blue. That's the ****hole section of town. Stay away from there and you'll be fine in any other area of the town.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
Meriden is not as bad as the reputation. We went to Meriden fair many times in the past. But if you prefer a better and safer place, then stick with Wallingford town.

In general, it is better to drive than bus/walking. Meriden and Wallingford both are rural. It is difficult to move around without car.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Meriden isn't as bad as it looks. It's not the prettiest city, but it's still below average in crime for the US.

Wallingford Center is definitely nicer as a walkable community. You could live there and bike or take a taxi to work.
Wallingford Town Center is quite far away from BMS office. I am not sure bus and walk works here.

BMS location is actually quite rural, near mountain.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Thank you guys. Really appreciate it.

Right now I'm looking at Newbury Village Apts near E. Main street and Research Pkwy. The area close by seems to be convenient (with some restaurants, grocery stores and stuff) but finding temp rental there might be a problem.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
Newbury is $$$ but very nice if you can afford it and very close. You know, on Bee St. they have two large extended stay hotels; one runs about $1500/month and very nice. I bet a few people there work at BMS so maybe you could pool with somebody. GL.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Newbury is $$$ but very nice if you can afford it and very close. You know, on Bee St. they have two large extended stay hotels; one runs about $1500/month and very nice. I bet a few people there work at BMS so maybe you could pool with somebody. GL.
Thank you Rich but unfortunately I declined the offer already. Will just focus on big cities with decent public transportation (which seems a luxury in many states )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut