Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:58 PM

145 posts, read 338,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Lighen up brother...were just talking about hooking up to the end of the LIE.
Not destroying the Hamptons.

Have you been to Rt 58 in Riverhead lately...looks like Nassau to me?

Ive hugged a few trees in my day too.
I dont think we have much to worry about environmentally other than the Hot Air of NIMBY opposition...and of course Broadwater.

C
I'm glad you've hugged 'em in your day...I hope we can all keep on huggin'...except I'm not a brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 03:41 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,680,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygabs View Post
I'm glad you've hugged 'em in your day...I hope we can all keep on huggin'...except I'm not a brother.

Ok Sister

Im not too worrried about spanning a bridge over the Terminals on Edwards ave.
I pretty sure no trees will be hurt in that endeavor.Its all toxic anyway.

I'm really more interested in what CT thinks.

Perhaps you might weigh in over here.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ge-ct-off.html

C

Old 09-26-2007, 05:29 PM

34,968 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Name one bridge that's raped the environment.
Everything effects the environment according to the Environmentalists. The Q Bridge project in New Haven took over 10 years to get environmental apporval and that was just for widening 7 miles of I-95 along its existing alignment through New Haven, East Haven and part of Branford. Believe me there are people everywhere that would fight this. Jay

Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,126,152 times
This thread reminded me of this picture of a "Water Bridge-Over a River"!

So I posted it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/other...ml#post1592156

Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,361 times
Is there a regular ferry/boat service from Easter Nassau/Wester Suffolk to the Greenwich area?

Short of boating to work in your own boat everyday, would there be enough demand to arrange for a water taxi service?

Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 PM

578 posts, read 2,099,750 times
I really don't understand why there isn't a bridge crossing the LI Sound into either Westchester or CT.

They have an almost 20 mile bridge in VA, and that is in a rural area with a very delicate environment.

Why is it that in a heavily populated area serving 18 million in the NY region, trapped Long Island, and the needs for access from New York to Boston and New England this bridge hasn't been built?

I really think either NY or CT residents/governments are being wrong.

The traffic on I-95 in CT is terrible and there is no way to expand, the land is not there.
Why not take advantage and offer a bypass of NYC and the panhandle of CT to ease I-95 traffic?

It makes no sense to have a 20 mile bridge in rural VA but to not have a 10 mile bridge in the tri state region.
NONE.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,090,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
Why is it that in a heavily populated area serving 18 million in the NY region, trapped Long Island, and the needs for access from New York to Boston and New England this bridge hasn't been built?
Connecticut is the home of NIMBYism. Goes way back - the no-exit zone on the Merritt is a very old example.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 AM

223 posts, read 1,173,877 times
I strongly oppose the idea of a bridge between Connecticut and eastern Long Island. I believe the exorbitant costs associated with designing, planning and constructing such a structure would far outweigh any perceived economic benefit to both regions. I also believe that any foreseeable increased demand in transportation between eastern L.I. and S.E. Conn. could be met by increasing ferry service between Orient, Montauk and New London.

If New York wants to do a better job linking Long Island with the mainland, then New York can construct a bridge between Nassau and Westchester, assuming all of the costs that go along with it.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 AM

333 posts, read 468,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Everything effects the environment according to the Environmentalists. The Q Bridge project in New Haven took over 10 years to get environmental apporval and that was just for widening 7 miles of I-95 along its existing alignment through New Haven, East Haven and part of Branford. Believe me there are people everywhere that would fight this. Jay
NIMBYism is alive and well in Connecticut - thanks to environmentalists, Connecticut is a very well-planned and lush state. Without the protests of residents, we could have fallen prey to chain developers, 5 lane highways and tiny, .25 acre lots. Imagine CT being like suburbs in Charlotte, Phoenix, Atlanta and even Orange County? EEK, makes me quiver! lol

Old 11-04-2007, 09:42 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,090,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
NIMBYism is alive and well in Connecticut - thanks to environmentalists, Connecticut is a very well-planned and lush state. Without the protests of residents, we could have fallen prey to chain developers, 5 lane highways and tiny, .25 acre lots. Imagine CT being like suburbs in Charlotte, Phoenix, Atlanta and even Orange County? EEK, makes me quiver! lol
Well, it does leave the state with a completely inadequate transportation network. Lousy transportation is the biggest barrier to further economic growth in Fairfield County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut