Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:25 PM

38 posts, read 59,943 times

Advertisements

We are exploring moving to FF County and would like more info on the hyper-local neighborhoods that are family-friendly in the sense that kids are outside playing, neighbors chat, maybe walking to the local public elementary school together. We would love a beach-feel, easy access to the Sound a bonus.

We have very young children (oldest in early elementary) that we would enroll in public school. Aside from great schools, a community where people know one another and see one another at parks or other community spaces is most important. I've roughly narrowed down our search to Westport, and Southport/Fairfield, but are open to other places (suggestions?) if the town, community amenities, and neighborhoods are fantastic. Our budget is around $2M - we'd like a nice home but are willing to pay for location and friendly vibe over huge house. Job would be local, no commute to the city, though we like access for special occasions.

We will be visiting the area this weekend so if you have street/neighborhood suggestions for us to drive (or walk!), they would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 PM

21,783 posts, read 28,147,687 times
Out of those towns, Fairfield 100%. There's enough friendly people in Westport/Southport, but Fairfield is another vibe altogether. Much more outgoing and grounded, with a more broad socioeconomic base. Schools are fantastic with less of the pressure-cooker feel and materialistic competition in Westport schools.

Where's the job?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Thanks Stylo. I've been reading the archives for a while and always appreciate the input you give on threads. Job would be in the Greenwich area if we moved.

Do you have any specific neighborhood suggestions in Fairfield? I'd prefer something close to the water. Are you saying general Fairfield over Southport? Like Fairfield Beach Road area?

Could you suggest a particular neighborhood or park/playground/beach to explore and give us a sense of the vibe while we are there this weekend? Maybe in both Westport and Fairfield so we can compare?

Also, I've read that Westport has Longshore with community pools, docks, etc. Does Fairfield have someplace comparable? I do not want to live where everyone retreats to their separate country club so Westport/Longshore was very appealing.

Thank you for the reply!

Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Fairfield has tons of community recreation facilities. It is not an isolated country club atmosphere.

Southport is a great choice, but much more expensive than other parts of Fairfield. Please understand it is just an area of Fairfield, not really its own town. If you can afford it, it is a beautiful area - however even $2MM might not get you into the most beautiful part of Southport - the harbor area. And you definitely won't get a waterfront. You will get a lot more for the money south of downtown along Jennings/Fairfield Beach Road, and potentially be within walking distance of the train station.

I take it you'll be using the train for commuting purposes?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks Stylo. We won't be using the train for commuting. We'll check out the Jennings Rd area this weekend.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,770,444 times
Take Stylo's advice and look throughout the entire town. Southport is not going to give you what you want in regard to kids walking to school, etc.

The water area of Southport is a small section of the town along Pequot Ave. & Harbor Rd. and going perhaps a bit east to to Sasco Hill Rd. Southport Beach is on Pequot Ave. The local grade school for Southport is on Mill Hill. The water area of Southport is south of highway 1-95 and the grade school north of 1-95. If you want to live near the water in Southport, your children are not going to be walking to school. If you found something you liked near Mill Hill perhaps, but you're not going to get both near the water & school proximity in Southport.

The town of Fairfield school system has a good website. Their zoning maps for each grade school are within the website. You can check to see where grades schools are and perhaps plan your home search accordingly. Roger Sherman School area may be more what you want. There is also a master street index. Click on link

http://www.fairfieldschools.org/down..._8-16-2011.pdf

Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,880,774 times
Fairfield is too far away if the position is in Greenwich and you'll be driving during peak commute time.

I would look at Darien, or if you're willing to go inland, New Canaan.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM

3,351 posts, read 4,174,136 times
Run from Fairfield with that commute.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the link to the schools, I've been checking them out. Theres another possible job that would be closer, right now we are just in exploration mode. Regardless, hours would most often be off-peak and a 30 min drive is (I think?) workable.

We started looking online at Darien and my concern is that it seems very homogenous income-wise . Is there an active, young, community? The school district looks impeccable.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM

Darien is stuffy. Don't know if you'd like it. New Canaan is marginally better. Young people? Maybe wealthy young bankers or trust funders. Greenwich has a bit more diversity in its neighborhoods. None will be as outgoing and down to earth as Fairfield IMO.

Just keep in mind from around ~730-10AM going south, and ~3:30PM-6:30PM going north, the Merritt/95 can be a parking lot from Fairfield to Greenwich. If hours are totally off-peak, you should be OK, but I'd invest in some sort of live traffic in your car as it's still a crapshoot sometimes.

I totally agree with the Roger Sherman area reco on that map. Again, you would be amazed how expensive it is to be in Southport with easy Sound access. It is a very high demand area, and rightfully so as it's breathtakingly gorgeous.

But that Sherman area is lively, active, near the beach (better than any beach east of it in CT, mind you), and has a friendly neighborhood feel. If I were moving to Fairfield, that's where I'd reside.

Last edited by Stylo; 08-08-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut