Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:15 PM

654 posts, read 945,646 times

Advertisements

Within the next few years, I'm looking to relocate back to the Northeast. Living in Pittsburgh is horrible, a complete nightmare--the crime here is through the roof. (When people tell you it's "America's most livable city", don't buy that garbage. However, that's a whole different topic unrelated to this inquirey.) While I unfortunately can't afford my native Long Island, I do like the state of Connecticut, and I've noticed that Windham County, generally speaking, seems to be the most affordable county in the state. So, my question is, what cities and towns within the county are safe, stable, and affordable? I'm looking to purchase a house for no more than $110,000 in a safe, stable community. Also, do certain areas flood? If so, which ones? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 05:38 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,763 times
$110k does sound low, but you can likely find a completely outdated 800 sqft place somewhere like Danielson or Willimantic within budget.

However, why would you want to? You're going to live in a shoe box...and a shoe box in a highly undesirable area, at that. These towns are HIGHLY isolated from civilization (we're talking a potentially 20-30 minute trek on slow back-roads just to get to a major highway). Moreover..while you don't mention whether or not you have kids...the poor schools in these towns make for little possibility of a decent return on your investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Within the next few years, I'm looking to relocate back to the Northeast. Living in Pittsburgh is horrible, a complete nightmare--the crime here is through the roof. (When people tell you it's "America's most livable city", don't buy that garbage. However, that's a whole different topic unrelated to this inquirey.) While I unfortunately can't afford my native Long Island, I do like the state of Connecticut, and I've noticed that Windham County, generally speaking, seems to be the most affordable county in the state. So, my question is, what cities and towns within the county are safe, stable, and affordable? I'm looking to purchase a house for no more than $110,000 in a safe, stable community. Also, do certain areas flood? If so, which ones? Thanks for your help.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Are Danielson and Willimantic safe? Will I have to live in fear of crime? In Pittsburgh, I have people dealing drugs in front of my house. Moreover, my neighbor was just robbed, and several properties in my neighborhood have recently been vandalized. This is not uncommon in Pittsburgh. Do Danielson and Willimantic have these problems? These are the things I'm trying so desperately to escape.

Honestly, I don't care about schools, since I'm a single gay male who has no children and doesn't ever plan on having any. The isolation of such a rural region (the "Quiet Corner," right?) doesn't bother me so much. Currently, living in a large city, especially a dicey part (the Northside of Pittsburgh), I do have to live in fear of crime. So, I'd prefer to live far away from it all so I don't have to deal with people harassing me, breaking into my house, throwing litter into my yard, etc.

I collect antiques and prefer quite time alone. The reason why I want such as inexpensive house is because I'd prefer to pay with cash. In other parts of CT, I could never afford to purchase a house outright. Living a simple live in the country is what I desire.

My ancestors, a couple hundred years ago, lived in the area--literally dozens of them are buried all over Windham County, but especially in Woodstock. That's another reason the region appeals to me. Genealogy is quite fascinating.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Quote:
Are Danielson and Willimantic safe? Will I have to live in fear of crime? In Pittsburgh, I have people dealing drugs in front of my house. Moreover, my neighbor was just robbed, and several properties in my neighborhood have recently been vandalized. This is not uncommon in Pittsburgh. Do Danielson and Willimantic have these problems? These are the things I'm trying so desperately to escape.

Honestly, I don't care about schools, since I'm a single gay male who has no children and doesn't ever plan on having any. The isolation of such a rural region (the "Quiet Corner," right?) doesn't bother me so much. Currently, living in a large city, especially a dicey part (the Northside of Pittsburgh), I do have to live in fear of crime. So, I'd prefer to live far away from it all so I don't have to deal with people harassing me, breaking into my house, throwing litter into my yard, etc.

I collect antiques and prefer quite time alone. The reason why I want such as inexpensive house is because I'd prefer to pay with cash. In other parts of CT, I could never afford to purchase a house outright. Living a simple live in the country is what I desire.

My ancestors, a couple hundred years ago, lived in the area--literally dozens of them are buried all over Windham County, but especially in Woodstock. That's another reason the region appeals to me. Genealogy is quite fascinating.
Honestly, you wont find anything at that price point. I live right next door to Willimantic and do all of our shopping, etc there and its perfectly safe. There are some extremely nice, well kept neighborhoods as well as run down crappy ones. Stay away from those. My wife and I have never felt fear at all while in town. Willi is a college town (ECSU) so theres alot of young folks around. I'd say look to spend ~200k and up for something nice, not in the ghetto. Its gay friendly as far as I can tell too.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:21 PM

I'd ideally be looking for a 2-bedroom, 1-bath home--something modest just for me. I wouldn't mind if it's out of town.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 PM

12 posts, read 21,584 times
Quote:
I'd ideally be looking for a 2-bedroom, 1-bath home--something modest just for me. I wouldn't mind if it's out of town.
I would rent there for a while then decide if to purchase. It'll give you time to experience the neighborhoods and accumulate more money, maybe meet a partner to purchase more decent house together with.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,209,783 times
Or you could look into the other corner of the state -- northwest. Towns like Goshen, Winsted, maybe even New Hartford -- you might find modest homes around 100k, which would also need some work.

You would also be close to the Berkshires and the Pioneer valley towns, if you''ll want some quality entertainment. Winters will be tough in both corners.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcan View Post
I would rent there for a while then decide if to purchase. It'll give you time to experience the neighborhoods and accumulate more money, maybe meet a partner to purchase more decent house together with.
Renting might not be a bad option. I want to purchase a decent home, but it doesn't have to be modern or luxurious--just something modest, small, and kind of cute. I'd like a little yard with a few shade trees. Most importantly, I don't want to be near Section 8 or any projects!!! I can't stress that enough!!! They're all over Pittsburgh--seriously, they're everywhere over here, and if you speak against them, you're branded a racist--and they've been the downfall of this city in terms of crime, home values, etc.

The current house I rent is slightly less than 1000 SF, so I'm used to living in a shoe box. I don't mind small houses one bit. When you're single and don't have a family, 800-1000 SF is all you need--especially if you're a minimalist like me and don't have much furniture, possessions, etc.

So, tell me more about Willimantic, Danielson, Plainfield, Killingly, Moosup, Sterling, and the other small towns in the area.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,977,743 times
^^ What Henry10 just said!

I was going to suggest the same thing - Litchfield County. You can find plenty of decent sized houses at your price point in Torrington. Surrounding towns like Winsted, Harwinton, Thomaston, and Plymouth have a few as well, although they may not be in as nice shape as the ones in Torrington.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Or you could look into the other corner of the state -- northwest. Towns like Goshen, Winsted, maybe even New Hartford -- you might find modest homes around 100k, which would also need some work.

You would also be close to the Berkshires and the Pioneer valley towns, if you''ll want some quality entertainment. Winters will be tough in both corners.
It's my understanding that NW CT is much, much more expensive than NE CT. Also, I don't mind cold winters. They can't be much different from Long Island's or Pittsburgh's gloomy winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut