Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:18 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I actually prefer the Merritt in the morning and 95 at night.

Using that combo, I've got a pretty consistent 25-35 minute commute going on right now, even if traffic is bad in the morning I have a backroad route that saves me.
Funny you should say that, because on my commute the opposite tends to be true. But I've pretty much given up on either of the highways for the commute home and take back roads now. Worst part of the backroad commute is getting out of Stamford. Smooth sailing after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Funny you should say that, because on my commute the opposite tends to be true. But I've pretty much given up on either of the highways for the commute home and take back roads now. Worst part of the backroad commute is getting out of Stamford. Smooth sailing after that.
Well, I'm commuting from Milford to far western Westport. The Merritt is just plain nasty from Stamford to Norwalk.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM

241 posts, read 543,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

1. Around the West Rock Tunnel, why do most people slow down and/or hit their brake lights approaching (or even when inside) the tunnel?
Honestly, I'm a lot less bothered by people slowing a bit for a tunnel than the huge number of people who seem to have a desperate need to switch lanes during the tiny section of road at the tunnel with a solid line that you aren't supposed to cross. It is unclear to me why so many drivers don't have sufficient patience or attention wait the few seconds it takes to get through the tunnel to move lanes and/or go faster. Every time there is an accident inside the tunnel it is a hugely slow mess to clean up.

Although I understand the other complaints about 15, I personally find it a much more pleasant commute than 91/95 (and I drive the entire Wilbur Cross and part of the Merritt every day).

Old 09-13-2012, 12:29 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Well, I'm commuting from Milford to far western Westport. The Merritt is just plain nasty from Stamford to Norwalk.
It is awful. Plus my office is right off 95, so travelling across Stamford in the morning can be painful.

I take it you use the Congress St./Cross Highway route when traffic is bad?

Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
It is awful. Plus my office is right off 95, so travelling across Stamford in the morning can be painful.

Yeah - at that point, you're better off just sticking with 95, as it'll take you 15 minutes just to get to the Merritt.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Yup! Seem to only need it rarely though. I was actually shocked the last few weeks that traffic didn't get worse when school opened. Mornings have been super easy for me lately. Very odd. I don't get our traffic patterns at all. Maybe the fact they're done with construction on that stretch helps.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:26 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Quote:
Yup! Seem to only need it rarely though. I was actually shocked the last few weeks that traffic didn't get worse when school opened. Mornings have been super easy for me lately. Very odd. I don't get our traffic patterns at all. Maybe the fact they're done with construction on that stretch helps.
Don't jinx yourself!

I agree that Construction contributes to congestion, and to how poorly people drive.

For example: take the New Haven I-95/bridge construction (West of the Quinnipiac River right outside Ikea) where it seemed like the lanes changed every week. Each time the lane divisions change, it throws off drivers who have to slow down and actually pay attention to the new alignment. The driver has to also be aware of OTHER drivers who may not see the new lane divisions.

Off Topic: By the way, what purpose does that gray building outside of Ikea serve? It seems like the building belongs to Ikea (since they typically hang advertisements off of the side) but why aren't they doing anything with that building (e.g. make some money by leasing the space to someone else)? Or turn it into a Secondary Showroom?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Yeah, watch next week be horrid... but like I said, taking backroads is pretty easy. I'd be singing a different tune if I had to drive to Stamford.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
It's funny you say that... That IS the section of highway for both 95 and the Merritt that have more traffic during the morning commute. Unfortunately, this does not hold true for the evening commute which is abysmal from exit 31 (or 34 on a good day) through at least 42. 95 opens up after Westport.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM

The "no exit" zone in Westport/Fairfield and the stretch from Norwalk to Stamford are the worst in the morning. I'd say in the afternoon Stamford area beats everything. Just horrid. Greenwich is where it really clears out. I really can't complain much about my commute though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut