Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 04:25 PM

142 posts, read 269,145 times

Advertisements

Hello again,

A year ago, city data folks helped us figure out where to live, and we've been very happy with our Woodbridge rental. Now it's time to decide where to buy a house.

We are 30 something medical professionals with no children. I work in downtown New Haven and Ansonia, and the spouse will be working in Hartford. We're looking for a place about 15-20 minutes from Hartford and 35-45 minutes from New Haven/Ansonia. We want to live in a diverse, pedestrian friendly, restaurant-farmer's market rich neighborhood with other young families. We're thinking of buying a starter home ($350-400 K) that we can sell/rent 4-5 years down the road.

Any/all suggestions will be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:18 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,191 times
I'm not sure that any town really exists within those time constraints. According to Google Maps the only ones I could find that are 15-20 minutes to Hartford and 35-45 minutes to both Ansonia and New Haven are New Britain and Cromwell (though Cromwell was at the upper limit) and both of those would be longer in traffic.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:19 PM

269 posts, read 607,736 times
Have you looked into Glastonbury? Others can give you more details but it's family oriented with a nice downtown and great schools.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
There's really no such animal within your time factors. The towns between Hartford and New Haven are mostly suburban towns . While you might find some downtown walkable areas , you're not going to get tons of restaurants/ farmers markets .

The town that fits your bill is West Hartford but it's not convenient to New Haven and Ansonia. West Hartford has plenty of families, but I don't know if you're going to find a specific, young family neighborhood there. Middletown has a small downtown several blocks long and a lively, but again small restaurant scene. There are plenty of young family neighborhoods there, but they won't be anywhere near downtown.

Newington has a very small, walkable center, but it's certainly not a restaurant scene. The same can be said of Wallingford, which has a cute, walkable center and restaurants. But Wallingford might be more than 15-20 minutes to Hartford. And those family neighborhoods are not necessarily going to be convenient to town center either.

Personally, I think you might do best to start your search in Middletown and make adjustments for a neighborhood not being near downtown. You can certainly get a lovely home in any of a number of newer, family type subdivisions within your price range. Then you'd just have to drive to city center or drive to West Hartford on weekends. Although, depending on where in Middletown, it's might be more than 15-20 minutes to Hartford. Cromwell, Berlin and its Kensington section might also be possibilities . Although with either of those you might be pushing the 45 minutes to Ansonia and neither has the densely developed town center you're looking for.

Good luck

Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I have to agree that a town like the OP wants does not really exist within the commuting time limits specified. Middletown comes the closest but I think it is more than 20 minutes to Hartford particularly during rush hour. The OP would have to be pretty close to Hartford to be a true 15 to 20 minutes away.

Another town that comes to mind though is Wethersfield. It is a great town with a lot of nice neighborhoods. It lacks a true downtown area but Old Wethersfield is one of the most charming places in the state and is very walkable to the few small businesses and restaurants there. Plus they have a regular farmers market. Still I do not think you can get to Ansonia in 45 minutes. Mostlikely closer to an hour. Jay

Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I was going to say Hamden, although it's further from Hartford than you want to be. Maybe Wallingford or Middletown?

There are towns that have those characteristics in both the New Haven (Milford, Hamden, Branford) and Hartford (West Hartford, Wethersfield) areas, but you're more limited in-between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut