Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 21,154 times

Advertisements

Hi, Can you list the top best towns to live and worst towns to live for a young (30 something's) with children? We'd like a neighborhood where we can grow old and not have to deal with any racial issues. Our family is mixed Latino/Caucasian. My husband works throughout the state so being close to a major highway is a plus (atleast 10-20 from highway). I have kids in elementary and high school so good public schools is a must! My priorities is (1)- schools, (2)- Culture/Diversity of ethnicity, (3) a 3 bed home up to $250,000

So far, we like Glastonbury and West Hartford, but any other towns out there we should look at? We don't mind moving to a predominantly Caucasian town as long as my children don't stick out like sore thumbs because of the color of their skin....

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 07:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiFamilia View Post
Hi, Can you list the top best towns to live and worst towns to live for a young (30 something's) with children? We'd like a neighborhood where we can grow old and not have to deal with any racial issues. Our family is mixed Latino/Caucasian. My husband works throughout the state so being close to a major highway is a plus (atleast 10-20 from highway). I have kids in elementary and high school so good public schools is a must! My priorities is (1)- schools, (2)- Culture/Diversity of ethnicity, (3) a 3 bed home up to $250,000

So far, we like Glastonbury and West Hartford, but any other towns out there we should look at? We don't mind moving to a predominantly Caucasian town as long as my children don't stick out like sore thumbs because of the color of their skin....

Thanks!!
I asked someone else this: why would your children stick out like sore thumbs because of their skin color?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiFamilia View Post

Thanks!!
I'm not going to nitpick your post. Glastonbury is a great town but mostly white. I was going to suggest West Hartford - I believe it's a bit more diverse than Glastonbury and is equally as beautiful. Check it out.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-29-2010 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,859 times
WH is more diverse, but both of these towns are tolerant communities with many beautiful neighborhoods. The only downside I can think of is you might have a harder time finding a house in your budget in Glastonbury. Most of the housing here is newer so it's bigger and more expensive. Still, it's a great town and so are the schools.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:05 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times
Live anywhere you want. CT isn't West Texas.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:42 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Live anywhere you want. CT isn't West Texas.
Agree with this. There are a lot of interaccial families all over CT.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
No one gives a crap about the color of your skin here. What people seem to care more about is if you are a decent person or not. If you want to be all "hood" they yes, some people in the "burbs" may look at you with a cautious eye. (That's white, black or hispanic)

Other than that you'll have a hard time in WH or Glastonbury topping out at 250K. If you look more towards New Britain Ave area in West Hartford you might do okay.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:57 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
What about places like Windsor, South Windsor or Enfield?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 AM

54 posts, read 153,738 times
Mixed family here...

CT is probably the most tolerant place we've lived and we try our best to not mistake someone "noticing" us for someone giving us the stink eye.

People are curious by nature and most will often notice you and your mixed family... the real question is does it bother them and does that even matter.

We've always felt that our race is someone else's problem. We're good with it and so are our kids . We also try to not turn someone being rude or obnoxious to someone being racists... I talk to white families and they run into rude people all the time.

Good luck

Old 03-31-2010, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 21,154 times
thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut