Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 08:32 PM

140 posts, read 259,563 times

Advertisements

Well we are all ready for the storm, lol, and we've only in been in Connecticut for a little over a month. This storm is truly dangerous, and I think we are well prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 PM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RashidWilliams View Post
You might want a few more gallons depending on where you are and how easy power is lost. Just FYI, I keep around 20 gallons for most storms of this magnitude, whatever doesn't get used just goes right back into the car .

I can't find any larger cans, I do have larger cans but it's two 5 gal cans of kerosene, heck walmart was almost out of Sta-bil.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
Winds are gusting to gale force across long island as of 10 pm. This
evening`s high tide resulted in some inundation...next high tide
is at midnight on the sound with moderate flooding forecast...just
a hint of things to come.

Winds will very slowly increase overnight...with 50 mph winds
reaching coastal long island just after midnight. Note the 49kt
gust on buoy 44025 in the past hour.

Other than some sprinkles...no significant rainfall will reach us
before sunrise. Measurable rain arrives in nyc around sunrise.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 PM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
I'm thinking about calling the CT consumer protection over these two gas stations one in Norwalk and one in Greenwich in the price going up.. in the case of the Shell station in Norwalk 14 hours ago the fuel for regular was $4.29 and now it's $4.49/gal

Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
You might want a few more gallons depending on where you are and how easy power is lost. Just FYI, I keep around 20 gallons for most storms of this magnitude, whatever doesn't get used just goes right back into the car .
I wish I'd known that earlier. We only bought 10gals of gas for the generator and we had to drive into NJ to get it. All the gas stations around here were out of gas.
The cars are filled so if worse comes to worse, we'll siphon the gas out of one of the cars.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,969 times
Stay safe, everyone! The real challenge will be later on today/tonight. I really hope the power companies are on standby this time, unlike last year!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 PM

72 posts, read 197,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I wish I'd known that earlier. We only bought 10gals of gas for the generator and we had to drive into NJ to get it. All the gas stations around here were out of gas.
The cars are filled so if worse comes to worse, we'll siphon the gas out of one of the cars.
Laurie: Depending on the size of the generator, 10 gallons may last you 18 - 24 hours. I have a portable siphon implement I picked up from Autozone a few years ago that I may use if the gas stations in my area also have no power. I typically will fill the generator to max then go back out and get more gas a day before the storm. Good luck with everything!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 PM

275 posts, read 419,505 times
This storm is spooky. It's very quiet out there right now.. I'm hoping & praying it won't hit us too bad, but there's too many tree limbs hangin over power lines and near them and I'm afraid we'll lose power quickly, and we have NO generator either.
I bought a bunch of ready to eat food & a bunch of water, flashlights, batteries, and paper plates & cups & soda, so I'm just hoping we'll be stuck at home for a while.
I don't know, the winds sound very strong though. I bought some little bottles of Bailey's Irish Cream too, so I'd be less stressed out this year, than last!
Gosh, I wish this storm would go out to sea!
I heard that Virginia was getting coast flooding already.
I cannot imagine how ppl will get around in NYC if the subways flood!
Waaaa.... let's pray for Sandy weakening somewhat.
y'all take care and good luck to y'all!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 PM

275 posts, read 419,505 times
Default How much do generators costs?

Quote:
Laurie: Depending on the size of the generator, 10 gallons may last you 18 - 24 hours. I have a portable siphon implement I picked up from Autozone a few years ago that I may use if the gas stations in my area also have no power. I typically will fill the generator to max then go back out and get more gas a day before the storm. Good luck with everything!
What type of generator did you get Rashid? How much do they cost? Can you use them down in a cellar, or must you have them stay outside instead?
I envy the neighborhood a few blocks away from us, all their power lines are underground instead of overhead... that's so much smarter when it comes to a storm.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:37 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Here is a live cam from Long island

http://www.camstreams.com/asx.asp?user=sychuricam

Right now it doesnt appear to be raining..... Dont know how long that will be the case though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut