Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:51 PM

27 posts, read 53,679 times

Advertisements

Is this doable or insane. Commute would be 4x week 9-5pm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 PM

462 posts, read 737,347 times
I used to commute from Teaneck to Stamford. Westport is going to be another 20 min or so. You'll sit in a lot of traffic until you get past Greenwich. It's doable, but it's going to suck.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:05 PM

27 posts, read 53,679 times
Is the traffic worse in CT or the 95 Bronx?

Old 08-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Don't take 95 past the GWB. Get on the Henry Hudson, take that to the Cross County, to the Saw Mill, to the Hutch to the Merritt. Take that to Westport.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:12 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Although you're somewhat "reverse commuting" there are going to be a lot of bottlenecks on your commute. I'll use your morning commute for the example, just reverse it from the drive home:

1) The GW Bridge, since going over it from Teaneck is not "reverse commuting". If it weren't for this it would be a lot more doable.

2) Then take 87/Deegan north (only way I'd go, I would not keep going on the Cross Bronx, just asking for lots of trouble) to Cross County Parkway East. This is actually not bad at all during rush hour (since it is a lot of "reverse commuting").

3) However, then the Hutchinson Parkway is a mess going north in Westchester until after I-287 (because of people in the Bronx and southern Westchester (and even over the bridge in Queens) taking that to White Plains. Taking I-95 north in Westchester not so bad, but you have a toll to deal with and right now where it meets I-287 they are doing construction that slows traffic.

4) After I-287, the Hutch and Merritt Parkways are fine in the direction you're going. If you take I-95, you'll see some traffic around exit 3 in Greenwich (especially if the Weigh Station is open and the trucks are sticking out onto the road), in Stamford, and around exits 14-15 in Norwalk, but nothing compared to what you had earlier (or what the people going the other way are dealing with).

That said, you wouldn't be alone. I used to (and may be again soon) commute from southern Westchester to Bridgeport (albeit a little earlier hours, varied but job was roughly 7:30-3:30, just before the Hutch north got bad) and while at least near Bridgeport I was somewhat surprised by the number of other cars with NY plates I saw (from Norwalk on south/west it's actually pretty common though), I was super surprised that I'd see a couple of NJ plates out there on the road every day. So you wouldn't be the only one of those "3 state commuters" (though I bet they leave early). Good luck!

NOTE ABOUT SVTJ's post (which posted in the middle of my typing the above): You got it a little backwards, Henry Hudson becomes Saw Mill, then you take Cross County Parkway, otherwise, you got it all right......I would still take I-87 North though off the GWB as it's just a little farther out and when you get on the Henry Hudson you still have to go over the Henry Hudson bridge and pay another toll.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Do not take 287/87/Tappan Zee. You will hate yourself. I occasionally use that route to get back to Teaneck to visit my parents, and while on a non-traffic day it's a nicer drive, it's too far out of the way for a daily commute. Trust me, take the route i said. I did it for a year.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
Do not take 287/87/Tappan Zee. You will hate yourself. I occasionally use that route to get back to Teaneck to visit my parents, and while on a non-traffic day it's a nicer drive, it's too far out of the way for a daily commute. Trust me, take the route i said. I did it for a year.
I didn't say go up to 287 to 87, as you say, that would be the most insane of all as it's bumper to bumper in all of Rockland over the Tappen Zee through Westchester. I said from the GWB take 87 north to the Cross County to avoid paying yet another toll as would happen if you took the Henry Hudson from there instead.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:22 PM

87 gets packed. Just get an easy pass, i think that knocks the HH toll down to $2. He's already saving the "Entry into CT Toll" on 95 by taking the Merritt.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
87 gets packed. Just get an easy pass, i think that knocks the HH toll down to $2. He's already saving the "Entry into CT Toll" on 95 by taking the Merritt.
87 North? I know 87 south into the city does, but I've never seen northbound 87 packed in the morning (though I'll grant even the short distance on 95 off the GWB from the HH Parkway exit to the I-87/Deegan exit may have enough traffic to make your suggestion worth it).

Anyway, what is the "entry into CT toll", do you mean the I-95 north toll in Larchmont? I had him taking the Hutch to avoid that.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
How is the OP reverse commuting if he's going from Westport to Teaneck, NJ? From Westport to the city, he'll be going with traffic.

Bottom line for the OP: move closer if you can. This commute will have you pulling your hair out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut