Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 61,474 times

Advertisements

Relocating from the Los Angeles Area.

Is it practical to work in Mahattan (near Lincoln Tunnel) and live in Connecticut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 11:42 AM

44 posts, read 325,949 times
That would be easy. The majority of commuters from CT prefer to take the commuter train Metro-North so they can avoid traffic and parking problems. The train terminates in Grand Central on the east side of 42nd Street, from there you could walk or take the subway to the westside.

The New Haven line of Metro-North runs up along CT's coast and the Harlem line runs on the New York side five minutes away from CT. There are a lot of CT commuters from the Danbury area that drive or take the bus to the Brewster village train station on the Harlem line.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
If coming from southern California, housing prices will be lower even in Fairfield county- and you will get much more for your money.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 PM

139 posts, read 636,353 times
Oh sure, another Californian coming to raise the price of housing in Connecticut What's to become of Fairfield County now...

Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 PM

Be Nice Kirb

they (Californians) are all over the Hartford area as well- and love eastern CT- welcome them- many are very nice. And they buy RE and spend money for the local economy- and besides New Jerseyites and Long Islanders, Washington and Northern VA and even Bostonians are looking around ......and buying as well- they cash out in CA- sell their tiny house for 600-700K and buy a mini mansion here for 350-400(In central/eastern CT- not a bad deal--If you can pull it off. :-)

The Californians will have to adjust to the climate

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-26-2007 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-26-2007, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 61,474 times
Ok you guys…. I have already heard all of the rhetoric about Californians. But you have to understand the demographics of Calif. For instance where I work there are two New Yorkers and one guy from New Jersey. One of my wife’s best friends is from Connecticut. This is a pretty common situation here. These people have lived in Calif for more than 20 years that I know of. So why did these people come here in the first place? Well for the jobs of course. But you never hear of Californians complaining about being invaded by people from out of state. Lol except for the huge influx of illegal Mexicans that is. Now that these people are getting close to retirement age they seem to retire and go back to there state of origin. Of course they cop out and say….” Oooh no I’m not from Calif…. I’m from here.

By the way…… thank you for your input. I am taking the rhetoric as tongue in cheek. I’ll probably be seeing you very soon now…. ;-)

Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 PM

Eastwordho

how right you are. In California many people come from someplace else. Kirby was kidding- and I welcome you warmly.
Seems like many are coming here- and since I also once lived there- and still love the state for many reasons- I do however feel CT has a better quality of life- and as A Californian here you will get great Sushi, Thai, Brazilian, Moroccan, Chinese, Vietnamese, the BEST Pizza here- Mexican? Well a few good places but not like California. NYC has some great Mexican though. There are great Arts here, beaches, mountains, and so much in the way of culture and recreation. The main adjustment will be climate for you- just prepared to sweat in the summer some, and learn to drive in snow.

I know that in many western states like AZ, NV, OR, WA ID Utah they complain about Californians coming in. Well that IS Not the story here-

Welcome! You love southwestern CT- its too expensive for me- but you should do well.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 PM

139 posts, read 636,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
they cash out in CA- sell their tiny house for 600-700K and buy a mini mansion here for 350-400(In central/eastern CT- not a bad deal--If you can pull it off. :-)

I know. I kick myself each morning when I get up. If only I had stayed in CA after I got out of the Air Force in 1988

Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Yep Kirby

I should have bought a new ranch in Sonoma Ca in 1988 for 102K (was actually going to buy 2)

I still wake up in the middle of the night and think what the 2 are worth today (1.2 million+)

Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 AM

52 posts, read 283,016 times
It is very possible to live in CT and commute to NYC. The decision on where is really a question of time you are willing to commute, money you have to spend on living and lifestyle you are seeking. The closer you are to Manhattan, generally speaking, the more expensive housing will be. I am a realtor in the area and if you can give me some guidelines on what you'd like I would be glad to give you information on the different towns. You can check commuting times and stations on the Metro North site http://www.mta.info/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut