Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM

6 posts, read 7,350 times

Advertisements

Greetings ~ My husband and I have lived in San Diego for the past 13 years. I grew up in Fairfield County, CT (Wilton/New Canaan). We met in law school in upstate NY, and knew we wanted a change of pace, change of lifestyle, nice climate, etc. So we packed our bags after graduation, moved to San Diego and have never looked back. We both have good jobs (attorneys) and raise our 3 children in sunny SD. I am currently expecting baby #4. Although I love So Cal, I have always felt a terrible homesickness that hasn't disappeared in 13 years. Each time I visit the east coast, CT in particular, I long to live there again. I miss the beautiful trees, the nature, the wonderful schools (my kids are in private school) and most of all - being close to my parents and siblings. We are alone in San Diego, except for my brother who also lives here.

My husband loves San Diego, but also loves Connecticut and has said he would relocate there if I wanted to move. He's a midwesterner. We would likely settle in New Canaan (where my parents currently live) or thereabouts. I'm so torn because we have made some great friends out here, and everything seems so "easy" with our life. The kids' school is great, they love their friends, we have a nice house (postage stamp sized backyard aside), good jobs, belong to an awesome swim/tennis club that has activities and camps for the kids, have a Trader Joe's 2 minutes away (big deal for me!) - life really is great. I wonder if I will regret moving back to Fairfield County. The weather is NOT great, and seems to be getting worse. Winters are long and cold, and summers hot and sticky. Although you get more land and I love the colonial houses and history, nothing seems as close and convenient. On a positive note, we could put our kids in public schools, which would save money. I think the kids would also benefit from experiencing the different seasons and all that comes with that.

The main thing is that I miss my family. As I get older I know that my parents are missing out on my children's lives. We would love to experience a change and move back to the east coast. The only thing is - would we regret it?? Any insight is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
As you know, it's apples and oranges. You pretty much know the differences pretty well, so it's really up to personal choice.

That said, New Canaan is even more expensive than when you left - and quite a bit more expensive than even the priciest areas of San Diego. If you have the means ($1MM+ budget) and don't mind that part of it, it's a nice place to live.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you clamor for more convenience where you live - maybe Greenwich, Westport or Fairfield would be more fitting as far as FFC towns are concerned? There's quite a bit more shopping/dining/etc. in those towns than NC.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
As Stylo said, you seem to have the differences down. Also, lower Fairfield County is about on par with the most expensive areas of San Diego, so be prepared to pay big for a modest home in New Canaan, Darien, Wilton, Greenwich. You don't mention budget, but you can get a little more for your money north and east of this immediate area, as $1m buys a modest home in the area you're looking.

North: Ridgefield, Redding, Weston all have home prices that are slightly lower, though they're much more rural and further from amenities. Schools are still excellent.
East: Westport and Fairfield are great towns; Fairfield being the best bang for your buck.
Depending on where your job would be, we could recommend other towns as well.

If working in lower Fairfield County, keep in mind that traffic here along 95 is very bad during rush hours and some summer weekends.

We had the opportunity to leave and move west but decided not to for the reasons you stated - family.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Thanks! Yes, we would consider other towns as well. Some you both mentioned definitely have more shopping/dining/amenities. Something to consider. We don't have an unlimited budget, but could afford a modest but nice home in NC, or a larger home in one of the neighboring towns.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:26 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,101,033 times
Having lived in SD and now back on the east coast(western mass) I miss SD more than words can describe. While I don't live in FFC I am there for work a lot and it has nothing on SD. I know you are wanting to be closer to family and that too me is the only benefit of moving back.

There is nothing in FFC that compares to Pacific beach, Coronado , Mission Beach, La Jolla , Balboa Park , The weather in general. The traffic is actually better in SD than FFC, public transportation is better in SD. If you want snow just drive up to Julian or Alpine. If you want desert just head east a little.

There are endless things for kids in SD ranging from skateparks to beaches to tennis/swim clubs to dance and theater classes and just about any sport under the sun is offered year round in SD. Things in CT are cyclical and usually only offered during certain parts of the year.

Just my opinion but I feel as though SD has it head and shoulders over FFC. I know no one here will agree but just my opinion. Family is a big factor though and one of the reasons I am back on the east coast. Actually the only reason I am back.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Thank you! I appreciate your honest opinion. San Diego has so much to offer, especially for the kids - I do agree with you!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Just my opinion but I feel as though SD has it head and shoulders over FFC. I know no one here will agree but just my opinion. Family is a big factor though and one of the reasons I am back on the east coast. Actually the only reason I am back.
I agree 100% with this statement. SD is amazing.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:11 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,963 times
WesternMass and KidYank are correct. SD has it all over FFC except for two things - your family and schools. FFC schools are fantastic. We went from Wilton to Thousand Oaks a few years ago and couldn't get over the differences. We opted for the private-school route, which you'd never have to do in FFC. Assume all those towns have fabulous schools and here are some other things:

Greenwich, the most expensive town, has beach access and an amazing library.
New Canaan has Waveny Park, New Canaan MOunted Troop for horse riding and a nice downtown area.
Westport and Weston both have beach access (Compo Beach, a treasure). The further you get from the beach area, the more rural it gets.
Darien - beach. I don't know much more about that town.
Wilton is a quiet country town with a small-town feel. We were very happy there. It has a great Y.
Redding is very rural. You'll live in your car, driving kids around (ditto Weston).
Ridgefield has very rural areas but a very lively downtown.

Summers are hot and sticky and winters are long, long and cold. And long.
Good luck making your decision!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
WesternMass and KidYank are correct. SD has it all over FFC except for two things - your family and schools. FFC schools are fantastic.
Yes, public schools in CT's suburbs are hard to beat.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
I wanted to move to SD for a while too. Family, job, friends kept me here. I'd still consider going for a few years to experience it - not sure if I could be there long term though due to ties here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut