Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:42 AM

109 posts, read 161,575 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone who responded to my Madison thread a while back. As promised, I'm about to start looking at other towns, starting this Sunday in Darien. I still like Madison, but like some suggested, I think the drive to Norwalk might get a bit old. If it were still just every other weekend it would be fine, but it won't be easy for my daughter to just 'pop round' to her Dad's, and I think she'll be wanting to do that a lot more once we're in CT.
Madison still has a lot going for it, but I want to check out other suggestions and have trips to Darien, Westport, Fairfield and New Canaan planned

Would love to hear any suggestions you have for me to get a feel for these towns, things to see, lunch suggestions, areas to drive etc. Also neighborhood info, esp if any areas to avoid, crime, noise etc ( I need to get maps!). I've been checking out suitable real estate and have a drive-by list (I'm sure THE house I love in Fairfield will be gone by the time I can move, but its still good to look)
Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 AM

123 posts, read 166,737 times
Hi there,

I read your Madison thread and agree that the drive would get old every week. Although the train was a great idea too, you probably can't coordinate that regularly.

I live in Fairfield and grew up here as well. The town has changed quite a bit since I was a child (I'm 46). Out of the 4 towns you are considering, Fairfield is the most diversified demographically, but still fairly affluent. You will get the most for your money in Fairfield, but you have a healthy budget so that shouldn't be a problem. I work in Westport so I'm pretty familiar with it as well. The schools are excellent in all of these towns, so you can't go wrong there. I don't want to taint your opinions since I'm looking to move OUT of Fairfield, but I will say that I think Fairfield is the most realistic in terms of socio-economic diversity (if that makes any sense). My husband always says that Fairfield is the last town on the Metro North line in Fairfield County that is somewhat reasonable, desirable and commutable.

The beach area of Fairfield has been booming since right after 9/11. Personally I prefer more land and less house, so I don't like the McMansions that are maximizing the lots. Many of the houses by the beach that have been re-built all seem to have the same architect! If I had your budget, I would look in Greenfield Hill, which is northern Fairfield near the Merritt Parkway and has 2 acre zoning. The traffic south of the Post Road can be quite trying at times

I can't tell you much about Darien or New Canaan, except that there are a lot of NYC commuters and investment bankers living there. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it gives you a little perspective.

Hope this helps and best of luck in your search!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM

35,029 posts, read 57,124,462 times
All of the towns you mentioned are great. They are among the most desirable towns in the country. I do not think there is a bad area in any of them, just some neighborhoods that are not as desirable as others. I agree with ConnNative's recommendation on Fairfield. To get a feel for the town, just head to Fairfield Center which is the downtown area centered around the intersection of Post Road (U.S. Route 1) and Unquowa Road/Reef Road. The are a number of nice shops and restaurant there. Also check out Southport Village (generally Main Street at Harbor Road) and Greenfield Hill.

Westport is also a great town. I know others here will comment more but the schools in Westport are among the highest rated in the state. While very affluent, Westport is a more liberal feeling town and has a lot of more artistic events. The nationally recognized Westport Country Playhouse is wonderful. Check out downtown which is sort of centered on Post Road (U.S. Route 1) at Main Street. Lot of nice shops and restaurants as well. It and Darien would be the most convenient town for your daughter to pop in to visit her dad in Norwalk.

Darien is also very nice but a bit more conservative in character. There is a nice but small downtown with upscale shops and restaurants center on the Post Road around the train station. The schools are very good but the town is pricey so you will likely get less home for your money there. Similarly New Canaan is very nice but very expensive. It has a nice downtown too centered around the train station area. You can't go wrong with either town. Jay

Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 AM

21,819 posts, read 28,202,351 times
Fairfield is the closest in feel and demographics to Madison out of all those towns. It's just a lot more dense (so are all the shoreline FFC towns). Based on your previous wants/needs, that would be at the top of my list.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 PM

109 posts, read 161,575 times
Definitely considering tweaking my original wants/needs......and the density may well be one of them.

Fairfield happens to have the most available housing right now that I'd be interested in viewing. My realtor from MA is originally from Fairfield and agrees its far more congested now. But I've lived in London and its suburbs before so it won't come as a complete shock, I'm pretty adaptable and flexible. There's definitely pros and cons wherever I choose!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM

21,819 posts, read 28,202,351 times
Fairfield is no more congested than other shoreline towns in that region. New Canaan is more spread out, but it also comes at a much higher cost (and less down-to-earth).

Old 06-03-2013, 01:19 PM

519 posts, read 584,029 times
I would certainly not call Fairfield congested. Can it get busy at both ends of the commute times: sure, but other than that it generally is not a problem AND if you live in Greenfield Hill there is no congestion. Congestion is really centered on Post Road.

For the record, we looked hard at Madison, but decided Fairfield (Greenfield Hill) made more sense because a) access to NYC when we want a "city-fix" and b) we felt we would always be in the car and leaving Madison for nearly all of our restaurent/shopping needs.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,895,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Canaan is more spread out, but it also comes at a much higher cost (and less down-to-earth).
I'm not so sure that there is a measurable difference in "down to earthness" between Westport/Darien/New Canaan. Most people would say Darien is the least dte, Westport the most dte, but it's really a splitting hairs argument. IMHO. Fairfield of course would be the most down to earth of the 4.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,159,365 times
I think you're in a can't-go-wrong situation. All four are great towns with great schools. It really depends on the experience you want to have, and the character of the town you like.

I think if you found the home that you are the most happy with, you'll be happy in any of these towns. Fairfield is great-- Lots of shopping, convenient, good restaurants, variety of housing. Westport is a bit more affluent, but probably less friendly. The schools are reputed to be better, but I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,959,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm not so sure that there is a measurable difference in "down to earthness" between Westport/Darien/New Canaan. Most people would say Darien is the least dte, Westport the most dte, but it's really a splitting hairs argument. IMHO. Fairfield of course would be the most down to earth of the 4.
+1. Each town has a different feel, so it worth spending time in each to see which appeals to you. But at the end of the day they are all affluent towns, and all have the things (good and bad) that goes along with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut