Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,873 times

Advertisements

Hello all!! New here!

My partner and I are looking to move to CT from NYC (Brooklyn) in the next year or so. I've been reading up on CT for some months now and have narrowed our apartment search to the Middletown area. I feel like that's what our budget could get us. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apt for what we pay now (for a 1 bedroom) which is $1300 (want to keep it cheaper than that if possible)

Now, I work in Fairfield and wanted to know what the commute would be like from Middletown to Fairfield. Keep in mind that I already commute from Brooklyn to Fairfield so I'm used to a long commute. Would that commute be any worse? I would only need to do this commute at the max 4 times a week. My partner is getting a transfer to the Hartford area so I'm assuming her commuting time wouldn't be bad...right???

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have tons of other questions but I'll start off with this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:41 PM

123 posts, read 166,696 times
Hi there!

I'm not familiar with Middletown or the surrounding area, but I do live in Fairfield. Assuming you will take the Merritt/Rte. 15 once you get to the Meriden area. My guesstimate would be a minimum of 1 hour, possibly more if there is an accident. Luckily you will miss the worst part of the commute from Fairfield to Stamford. Still, I think this will be a long drive, even if there is no traffic.

Best of luck!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM

68 posts, read 196,176 times
Default Commute

I think it's a rather lengthy commute, although I realize you said you are used to long commutes. I think you can either go 66 & 91 or up 9 to 91 & to 691 to 84 - but most are busy areas - (691 is not too bad). I wouldn't want the commute, especially in the winter.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,888,048 times
I think i would be looking at a town like Wallingford, or somewhere in the greater Waterbury vicinity.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:54 PM

21,795 posts, read 28,174,061 times
Won't be terrible traffic, because most of the traffic starts in Fairfield. But still very long.

Middletown doesn't offer anything special and isn't so cheap that it's worth the drive. Save $100+ in gas and move closer. For a little more you could have a nice 2BR in Shelton, Milford, etc.

Or just move to Seymour, which is just as cheap as Middletown.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,888,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
For a little more you could have a nice 2BR in Shelton, Milford, etc.
Those choices would make for a long commute for the OP's partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Or just move to Seymour, which is just as cheap as Middletown.
Seymour is a better suggestion, although i think slightly further north along Rt.8 closer to Waterbury would be more ideal.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM

21,795 posts, read 28,174,061 times
Oh, I missed that. Wallingford is the best option, then. Hamden would work too.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 AM

837 posts, read 2,086,500 times
My vote is for Hamden or Wallingford.

Although Middletown is geographically closer to Hartford, I would agree that a more "equal" balance in commute would be Hamden or Wallingford, and both of those towns offer much more to residents than Middletown. That's not to say Middletown isn't nice, as it is, but is subjectively less of a bang-for-the-buck.

If you choose Hamden or Wallingford, be sure to ask for neighborhood advice as there are certain areas that you should potentially avoid (e.g. Dixwell Ave south of the Merritt towards New Haven is not desirable).

In terms of commute, I would suggest Merritt/Route 15 down to Fairfield.
- I would advise against using Route 8 to switch from Merritt to I-95, as the Route 8 interchange is usually backed up for a mile or so.
- I would advise against going down I-91 and trying to catch I-95 in New Haven, as that interchange is also usually backed up in the morning.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,873 times
Thanks guys!!

I will branch out the search to Hamden. That one didn't even come up on my list of places so I'm curious to see what's available.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM

34,982 posts, read 57,077,795 times
Depending on where in Middletown the OP lives and where in Fairfield they work, I see the trip taking 45 to 60 minutes. A little more if it is during peak traffic hours. The commute to Hartford would be 20 to 30 minutes again depending on locations and time of travel. Moving to Hamden would flip the commute (30 minutes to Fairfield and 45 minutes to Hartford). It all depends on which way the OP and their partner want to do it. Wallingford would work, but I would also add North Haven to the list.

Personally, I would NOT recommend Seymour. The commute to Hartford would be very long and not fun getting through both Waterbury and then Hartford. Stick with the section of Route 15 and I-91 between Middletown and Hamden. JMHO, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut