Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM

109 posts, read 161,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's the first time I've heard someone say "Norwalk" and "vacation" in the same sentence that didn't involve leaving Norwalk.
My 7 year old thinks Norwalk is "cool"

OP - I'm sure the kids will love their mini-break. Save the trip further up the coast for when they are older, nothing worse than tired, hot kids and trying to squeeze too many activities into the day.....and then you have the longer drive home to contend with too!
My daughter is less thrilled about the children's museum, but LOVES the aquarium.

Another spot she raves about is the 101 ice-cream in Rowayton, which is a pretty little spot if you are driving around. And there's supposed to be some candy store she says is the "best ever" somewhere in SoNo, I think near the aquarium (altho of course you might want to be avoiding getting the kids on a sugar-high!). I haven't been to either myself, but get to hear all about them.
Have a fun trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:55 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Yeah, if they're that young it does limit things. Mystic is a decent haul.

I will say that I REALLY enjoyed Mystic Seaport and Aquarium when I visited at age ~8-9. Pre-school, maybe not.

If you find yourselves wrapping up things early and/or looking for something to do, I'd recommend the Beardsley Zoo or Silver Sands State Park (free parking and great boardwalk to walk with kids - not too long and easy flat, and then they can play on beach). Both within 30 minutes drive.

The whole lighthouse/Oyster Shell thing might bore them out of their minds. Especially Oyster Shell Park. Just a fair warning.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's the first time I've heard someone say "Norwalk" and "vacation" in the same sentence that didn't involve leaving Norwalk.
+1

Norwalk a vacation spot!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:53 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Don't forget to book ahead in the busy tourist city of Norwalk. LOL

Start off early in the morning, take a bird watching cruise. Norwalk Seaport Association
After that get some breakfast somewhere.
After breakfast head to the Aquarium Welcome to The Maritime Aquarium
After that, drive around and be part of the traffic
After that, grab some lunch maybe bring it to one of Norwalk's beaches or parks
After that, go pay your parking ticket
After paying the ticket why not check out the shopping district on CT Avenue
After shopping, finish the day off at the lockwood mansion Welcome to the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum!
After that, you're done. Travel to another city or back home. lol

Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 AM

173 posts, read 351,845 times
Depending on what else your kids (or you) are "into," there's the SONO Baking Company by the water, which is a fun place to pick out a pastry, cupcake, or muffin. Also, the aquarium generally has a great IMAX film for kids (if "Born to Be Wild" is still there, I recommend it highly), and they're having a lorikeet exhibit where the birds can sit on the kids' wrists and eat from little cups. It's a fun and a manageable-sized aquarium.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 AM

363 posts, read 635,340 times
FYI - The tower portion of the lighthouse at Sheffield Island is closed for renovation so keep that in mind if you plan on going. It's a nice quick boat ride, some ruins from the castle or whatever it was are there, a nature preserve and tons of room to have a picnic and the let kids run around.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
After paying the ticket why not check out the shopping district on CT Avenue
Oh, the majestic beauty of dumby strip malls.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,166 times
Have you thought about Playland in Rye? It might be more bustling and energetic than what you're looking for, but hey, adults need to have some fun, too.

Seems like many of the activities at Playland allow for super young kids to participate in (as long as a parent does the activity with them).

Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM

14 posts, read 20,027 times
Not a popular destination is a plus. I hate crowds.

I'm pretty flexible. If it gets boring we can pack up the car and head up the road. Maybe play land on the way back.

I have never been to Mystic, Essex or the attractions in/around New Haven where I've felt like it's crowded. There's a decent number of visitors, but never unmanageable crowds like you get at some NYC tourist attractions.

Last edited by Stylo; 07-12-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM

Norwalk isn't a destination, but it's still a bit crowded. Although that's more of a traffic problem than pedestrians. Things get much quieter past New Haven on the CT shoreline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut