Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 07:48 AM

642 posts, read 859,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There was the state sales tax which was higher. The problem with it was the amoun t collected went up and down each year and it was hard for politicians to raise it without creating a stink. I wil say that if you look back at the state in the 70's things were not well maintained. There was a lot of bandaid approach to things back then. Example: the Mianis Bridge collapse. Jay
Thank You Jay.

I am glad to have that information. A higher sales tax is regressive to the poorer people and seniors in CT. Although I believe spending may be to high in CT I do favor the state income tax. I believe the first $50,000 of income (if married) is exempt from the state tax. It is a more fair tax system than just having a sales tax to pay for things. And I say that as someone that lives in Fairfield County where most households make more than $100,000 a year.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:39 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Will you vote for governor Malloy in 2014?
Would you?

Absolutely not. I wrote him off 2 summers ago when he implemented his retroactive (and illegal) tax hike. Dead in my eyes ever since...

Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiazer123 View Post
Canidates

Declared
. Thomas C. Foley

Potential
.Toni Boucher
.Mark Boughton
.Michael Fedele
.Mark Lauretti
.John P. McKinney
.Chris Shays

Declined
.Lawrence F. Cafero
.Pauline R. Kezer
.Linda McMahon

Got from wikipedia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The list is not accurate.

Fedele is running for Mayor in Stamford. And i don't think Boucher would have the nerve to declare that she's exploring a run.
I stand corrected: UPDATE: Boucher announces intent to explore bid for governor | The Weston Forum.

I won't vote for her. I'm certain of that.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Does anyone find it appalling that Gov. Malloy goes to these Governors retreats all of the country and world (I think he's been to 5 or 6) in the past 2 years? First off, nothing wrong with going to a function. Businesses do it all the time and running a State is like running a business. Networking is the name of the game, however; I would like to see some type of report from these conventions. I know when I go to conventions I have to write a report of everything I did. From who I talked with to new companies to watch.

If he came back with a report of what he did I don't think people would bat an eye at it. But going to Canada at a luxury hotel and not coming back with anything to show would get others in hot water. I'm all for it, please get people to come to this State. Show us that you are working on something.

Don't forget about the peoples choice awards he attended. ;p

Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
If he came back with a report of what he did I don't think people would bat an eye at it. But going to Canada at a luxury hotel and not coming back with anything to show would get others in hot water. I'm all for it, please get people to come to this State. Show us that you are working on something.
His record speaks for itself, and its a record of failure. Personally, I'd love to see a national law that required any incumbent governor up for reelection to show the following at the ballot booth:

Governor Smith
Economic Growth during his tenure: % filled in
US Economic Growth during his tenure: % filled in
Tax Incr/(Decr) % per capita during his tenure: % filled in
US Median State Tax Incr/(Decr) % per capita during his tenure: % filled in

I'd also like to see the Federal Election Commission require every ad and every piece of literature by an incumbent be required to print that , top and bottom, or beginning and end of ad, in size 16 font.

I'm sure Danny Boy wouldn't want that info out. Wonder why?

And this guy had the audacity to compare himself with the successful Chris Christie.

P.S. My relatives in Ct are registered Dems, who have already said they will vote for whomever is the GOP nominee. No qualifications. They haven't voted for the GOP in decades.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

P.S. My relatives in Ct are registered Dems, who have already said they will vote for whomever is the GOP nominee. No qualifications. They haven't voted for the GOP in decades.

Sure they will.

I'm Repub and i can unequivocally state that Toni Boucher and Linda McMahon would never receive my vote. I'd vote for the indie candidate or abstain entirely.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Sure they will.

I'm Repub and i can unequivocally state that Toni Boucher and Linda McMahon would never receive my vote. I'd vote for the indie candidate or abstain entirely.
I am not sure about Tom Boucher, but a monkey would get my vote before Linda McMahon. Maybe John Rowland will return. Oh wait, RI already did that. Jay

Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
I support the busway and being tough on guns so yes I'd vote for him since there won't be another Democrat to challenge him. But by the time election season rolls around I won't have a vote in CT any longer.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:37 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
With the exception of McMahon, I don't think it matters who the republicans put on the ticket --fairly certain he/she will win, in a landslide. The election is going to be total referendum on Malloy's administration, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he decides not to stick around for the verdict. He hasn't announced yet, has he? Maybe he'll just quietly go back to Stamford with his tail between his legs.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
With the exception of McMahon, I don't think it matters who the republicans put on the ticket --fairly certain he/she will win, in a landslide.
Don't be so sure about that. If it were Boucher, the people of this state will crap themselves when they see the tax proposals that she rubber stamped out of the finance committee and sent to Hartford. Proposals that the Democratic controlled house and senate even realized wouldn't fly with voters. And she's very much anti transit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut