Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 02:06 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Hard to believe those 20s to 30s are with family. I tend to believe those who moved to New Haven county recently are single.
Why do you say that? I know more than a dozen 30 somethings with kids that have moved to New Haven county in the last few years. Word's getting out about relatively cheap housing and good schools.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:56 PM

413 posts, read 317,391 times
New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu: ‘I come and poach businesses all the time’ from Connecticut and New York.

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu took a shot at Connecticut’s lackluster economic growth Wednesday, asserting if he were governor here, “I’d fix Connecticut in 20 minutes.”

“The problem with places like New York and Connecticut and California is they don’t manage themselves, they don’t put themselves in a position to be successful because they’re worried more about the politics and less about what actually gets better results,” Sununu, a Republican, said during an in-studio interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” in New York City. “When business screamed to the state of Connecticut ‘You need to cut taxes, stop abusing us or we’re walking away,’ and then they did walk away ... what was Connecticut’s response? Nothing. It’s insulting.”

Lamont's response? “You might have your catcher’s mitt, but you’re striking out on attracting Fortune 500 companies, CT has 16 and NH has 0."

Considering that Lamont had zero to do with any of the Fortune 500 companies in Connecticut and his Democrat predecessor lost a Fortune 500 company to Massachusetts, the response is pretty lame.

https://www.courant.com/politics/cap...5py-story.html

Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I know one thing with our Northern neighbors is they have income exemption. Feel the State should adopt that policy. A flat 7.5% rate for income ranges of $30,000 to $530,000. Then a flat 5.5% on any income over $530,000.

With the minimum wage going up. If we made it $11 an hour would have hopefully a smaller impact than a $15 an hour spike. With the income exception someone making $11 an hour is making $2,000 less than someone making $15 an hour with the current tax set up in CT.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:38 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu: ‘I come and poach businesses all the time’ from Connecticut and New York.

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu took a shot at Connecticut’s lackluster economic growth Wednesday, asserting if he were governor here, “I’d fix Connecticut in 20 minutes.”

“The problem with places like New York and Connecticut and California is they don’t manage themselves, they don’t put themselves in a position to be successful because they’re worried more about the politics and less about what actually gets better results,” Sununu, a Republican, said during an in-studio interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” in New York City. “When business screamed to the state of Connecticut ‘You need to cut taxes, stop abusing us or we’re walking away,’ and then they did walk away ... what was Connecticut’s response? Nothing. It’s insulting.”

Lamont's response? “You might have your catcher’s mitt, but you’re striking out on attracting Fortune 500 companies, CT has 16 and NH has 0."

Considering that Lamont had zero to do with any of the Fortune 500 companies in Connecticut and his Democrat predecessor lost a Fortune 500 company to Massachusetts, the response is pretty lame.

https://www.courant.com/politics/cap...5py-story.html
Except that Lamont is right. If New Hampshire is that attractive they would be more successful attracting businesses from here. I don’t know of many, if any. Actually a New Hampshire Company Verico, is moving their offices here. And the New Hampshire based Coca Cola Bottling Company of Northern New England is expanding here with a new $42 million sales center and a $22.6 million expansion of their East Hartford facility.

Verico to move New Hampshire corporate office to Enfield plant | HartfordBusiness.com

Coca-Cola announces E. Hartford expansion, new CT sales hub | HartfordBusiness.com

Also I will remind you that Boston and Massachusetts paid a LOT to attract just 200 of the 900 jobs GE had here in Fairfield. The rest of the jobs remained here. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 05-08-2019 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 05:14 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Except that Lamont is right. If New Hampshire is that attractive they would be more successful attracting businesses from here. I don’t know of many, if any. Actually a New Hampshire Company Verico, is moving their offices here. And the New Hampshire based Coca Cola Bottling Company of Northern New England is expanding here with a new $42 million sales center and a $22.6 million expansion of their East Hartford facility.

Verico to move New Hampshire corporate office to Enfield plant | HartfordBusiness.com

Coca-Cola announces E. Hartford expansion, new CT sales hub | HartfordBusiness.com

Also I will remind you that Boston and Massachusetts paid a LOT to attract just 200 of the 900 jobs GE had here in Fairfield. The rest of the jobs remained here. Jay
Southern NH has an economy because of Boston. Without that proximity to the jobs here, NH would be North Dakota.

As for GE, they wound up getting nothing. They returned the $80+ million they had been given and are staying in Boston without further incentives. The city and state ensured that would happen should GE not meet it's targets. The only money that isn't being recaptured is the funds used for infrastructure which was going to happen anyway. 200+ new jobs were created in Boston and GE is still supporting the endeavors they would.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Southern NH has an economy because of Boston. Without that proximity to the jobs here, NH would be North Dakota.

As for GE, they wound up getting nothing. They returned the $80+ million they had been given and are staying in Boston without further incentives. The city and state ensured that would happen should GE not meet it's targets. The only money that isn't being recaptured is the funds used for infrastructure which was going to happen anyway. 200+ new jobs were created in Boston and GE is still supporting the endeavors they would.

Sounds like sour grapes. The economic numbers speak for themselves and NH has much better economic growth than Connecticut.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:40 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Sounds like sour grapes. The economic numbers speak for themselves and NH has much better economic growth than Connecticut.
Not sour grapes at all. 80K people a day leave NH to come to work in MA mostly in Boston and the NW burbs. North of Manchester, NH has limited job opportunities. One could say the same about FFC - without it's proximity to NYC, it would be less economically advantaged.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Not sour grapes at all. 80K people a day leave NH to come to work in MA mostly in Boston and the NW burbs. North of Manchester, NH has limited job opportunities. One could say the same about FFC - without it's proximity to NYC, it would be less economically advantaged.
I am glad you posted that because if it was me, they would be jumping all over me. If New Hampshire was such a great place to do business, they would be attracting a LOT more from Boston than they have. And the Governor's recent comment on poaching is not backed up in fact. As I noted, I don't know of many Connecticut companies that have moved there yet I know of at least two NH companies that either moved or expanded here. Jay

Old 05-09-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
It is hardly like the Connecticut economy is really in shambles. Our unemployment rate is low and just slightly above the national level. Depending on what data you go by, we have recovered more than the number of lost private sector jobs lost during the recession. AND more importantly, during the recession our unemployment rate did not go into double digits. Those places that have had great growth also had great job losses during the recession with much higher double digit unemployment rates, so of course they are seeing great growth. The term growth is a function of jobs gained from their lowest employment and their lowest was pretty bad. Jay

Old 05-09-2019, 08:34 AM

Jay, you confuse the advantages that Connecticut has by inertia with the current political disadvantages thrust 0n the state every day. Connecticut had a very strong economy thought the previous century. The companies that are here are not because of anything done in the last 50 years. The currency crop of politicians is simply eating away at the bounty of the past. The state badly lags the current economic boom enjoyed by the rest of the country. Time for them to wake up.

https://www.cbia.com/news/economy/tr...rowth-numbers/

First, the final 2018 numbers were revised down nearly 50% from the initial forecast of 19,900 new jobs to a modest 10,000 gain.
And today's release of the February employment report reveals a terrible start to 2019, with January's initially reported 1,000 job gain revised down to a 2,500 job loss, with a further 400 positions lost last month.
CBIA president and CEO Joe Brennan said that pair of troubling reports should sound an urgent call to state lawmakers, with the 2,900 lost jobs since December all in the private sector.

"We've had some very troubling job numbers over the last two weeks," Brennan said.

"These numbers confirm that Connecticut is still mired in low economic growth and job creation, well below the national average and much of the New England region."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut