Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 AM

399 posts, read 853,837 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, anyone familiar with Gouveia Vineyards in Wallingford? The Mrs. heard it was a nice place to take the kids for an afternoon outside. Any other good spots in the area to stop by, any good lunch spots or places to get food to take out and eat at the vineyard (the web site said come for a picnic)? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 07:28 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,097,851 times
Great place! It gets crowded so get there early and grab a spot. Wine is good, views are amazing.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,793,770 times
When they say picnic, they mean pack a picnic lunch and bring it with you. They're out in the country and pretty much miles from any stores so cook at home, make sandwiches ,find a deli near where you live, etc.

They don't allow you to bring any beverages onto the property,including bottled water ( zoning issue). Whatever you want to drink you'll have to buy there. They have soda, coffee, water besides wine.

Great place, wonderful views, people do bring kids along so you won't be alone in that regard.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:50 AM

21,886 posts, read 28,268,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
Hey guys, anyone familiar with Gouveia Vineyards in Wallingford? The Mrs. heard it was a nice place to take the kids for an afternoon outside. Any other good spots in the area to stop by, any good lunch spots or places to get food to take out and eat at the vineyard (the web site said come for a picnic)? Thanks.
You're not far from Bishop's Orchards for apple picking and whatnot. You could also time it to visit the Durham Fair, largely considered the best county fair in CT.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks all! Here now, it's great - lots of kids too. Packed a lunch and bought a bottle - much better than I expected. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 PM

Stopped by bishops and picked some apples. Now at the guilford location (kids fell asleep). Thanks for all the tips, any lobster roll or fried clam recs around here?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:50 PM

21,886 posts, read 28,268,116 times
Lobster Shack in Branford for the best lobster roll itself, Lobster Pound in Guilford for the best view near there. I seem to remember you lived in Fairfield County so you could also do Seven Seas in Milford on the way home, a personal favorite of mine for lobster rolls.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Ok, so after I wrote the last post, I checked the lobster roll and CT Foodie threads. Seemed like the best place, besides Seven Seas, is Lobster Landing in Clinton. Someone also mentioned the High Tide truck. As it was only 15 min away from Bishop's, we decided to head there. Kids were still sleeping so we took the slower US 1 route all the way. As we passed through Madison, my wife noticed an antique market in a green and asked me to stop in. Low and behold in the parking lot was the High Tide truck, so we shared a roll - definitely top notch, and the owner/chef was pretty cool to talk with also. 10 min later we were at Lobster Landing, and as soon as we pulled in we knew we had come to the right place. BY FAR, this was the absolute best roll either of us have ever had. Hints of lemon and lobster juice mixed in with the butter put it over the top. Again - absolute best ever.

We live in Fairfield town, and hit up Lao often in Milford. Next time we go that way we're definitely trying Seven Seas based on your and others' recommendations. Thanks a bunch for your help today!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:45 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,513,003 times
It's a nice place for scenery, but you can get better wine around the corner. Lookup Paradise Hills and check them out. They are literally around the corner at the end of a cul de sac. 65 acres and a much smaller, more intimate setting with I think better wines.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 AM

Hi, thanks a bunch. The scenery and ambiance was definitely the draw over the wine - will check out Paradise Hills next time too. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut