Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,976 times

Advertisements

I live in Danbury, CT. They just replaed the bridge on the state line of CT and NY. But now, the bridge that was replaced gas a massive left shoulder, big enough to carry another lane. Also, the ride in Brewster over the Croton River on I-84 got a widened left shoulder a few years ago. Are there any widening plans from Brewster, NY to somewhere in CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,976 times
Correction: replaced by* a massive...

Auto-correct changed it

Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 PM

214 posts, read 290,431 times
I really hope i-84 doesn't get widened in any part of Connecticut.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM

627 posts, read 1,059,867 times
There are various sections that have already been widened. I know the Southbury area did it a few years ago. Generally increasing the width of the shoulders and redoing the barriers is considered upgrading the highway to modern standards, so I think it's easier to get federal funding for. And after seeing how much work it takes just to widen the shoulder on a bridge (basically building a whole new bridge that is 3 feet wide), I have no problem with them future-proofing it and adding enough space for a whole lane.

There are also plans to widen 84 from two to three lanes in Waterbury. I think that is finally going forward after being in limbo for a few years. That should be a good change, since that merge going East is always a mess.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,402,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
I really hope i-84 doesn't get widened in any part of Connecticut.
Why? So you can have a major traffic jam every single day? I-84 In waterbury goes down to 2 lanes and causes enormous backups every day. I-84 should be 3 lanes all the way to hartford where the highway should be widened and straigtnened to 4 lanes.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,495,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post

There are also plans to widen 84 from two to three lanes in Waterbury. I think that is finally going forward after being in limbo for a few years. That should be a good change, since that merge going East is always a mess.
Work is bidding next year. It is about a $450M project, not sure of the time frame. This work will includes widening from Cheshire to about the mix master (not sure of the exact locations). This project is well warranted.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 PM

10 posts, read 18,833 times
I dont know. I know it might get widened in Waterbury, but in Danbury...never heard of it. I know they are rebuilding exit 5 and 6 and just replaced the bridges at Dingle Ridge, but never heard about widening. I saw the same thing over that bridge, the massive left shoulder. Also, the bridge over the Croton River was wide too. Dont know.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 AM

34,962 posts, read 57,037,363 times
I know the state has long range plans to widen I-84 in Danbury but it is not a high priority given other projects that need funding. There is talking of doing it if they can implement tolling on the highway but that will not be easy. The reason for the extra wide bridges are likely twofold. The first is that they need a certain width of the bridge to maintain/repair/rebuild it in the future. The problem they face when they need to repair the bridge is that there is no where to move traffic when the are working on it. With an extra wide bridge, they move traffic to one half while they fix the other half, then switch it and fix the final half. The second reason, which no one will publicly admit, is that if they do decide to widen, the bridge is pretty much done. Jay

Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 PM

214 posts, read 290,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Why? So you can have a major traffic jam every single day? I-84 In waterbury goes down to 2 lanes and causes enormous backups every day. I-84 should be 3 lanes all the way to hartford where the highway should be widened and straigtnened to 4 lanes.
It's hugely unpopular. Everyone I know wants 84 kept the way it is.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,402,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
It's hugely unpopular. Everyone I know wants 84 kept the way it is.
That's total b.s.
Go talk to the drivers stuck on it everyday in bumper to bumper traffic. No commuters want it kept the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut