Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 PM

109 posts, read 161,162 times

Advertisements

Still in MA but working on my move to CT (positive thoughts for 2014!). It looks as though I will have some job opportunities once I've moved, and I'd like to check out some routes.

Fairfield is still my top choice of town to live. If I was to commute to Boston Post Rd in Milford, I get a time of 16 mins on Mapquest via I95. I know from experience that probably isn't realistic (at least double the time?). How is a northbound commute (lighter than southbound presumably, or not?)
Are there any alternative routes? I admit I have only ever passed thru Bridgeport on I95, and don't want to "explore" in a nice car and end up in a bad area. Could I just drive Post Rd all the way from Fairfield to Milford or is that a bad idea? Any advice for getting thru Bridgeport using alternative route to 95 would be appreciated. I intend checking out the routes this weekend.

May be other options for work in Greenwich, or White Plains. Tougher commute than going to Milford I presume?
I may of course widen my search to other towns other than Fairfield now i have a commute to factor into my move, but as there may be flexibility/uncertainty on work location I'm also thinking that Fairfield puts me in a reasonably good spot to commute to any of them.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Ha, that commute will be cake. You will likely never hit traffic unless there's an accident or construction. 16 minutes is accurate.

Fairfield to Greenwich is a horrific commute that I wouldn't wish on anyone. It would be solid traffic the whole way most rush hours. Anywhere from 1-2 hours with traffic. White Plains from Fairfield is even worse. Fairfield to Greenwich via train is more doable.

If you're going to work in Milford, why pay the premium for Fairfield? There are a lot of nice towns in the Milford area.

Or if you really think you may need to work in Greenwich or White Plains at some point, you may want to go the other extreme and look in the Greenwich area. Fairfield doesn't really make sense as you're paying up to double the $ for the more southern location to work in Milford, yet it's not really commutable to Greenwich or White Plains. Even a Greenwich to Milford commute wouldn't be terrible. You'd hit a little traffic in Stamford and Norwalk, but that's it.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks Stylo, good to know that will be easy! If I were to move right now I'd be working out of Milford for sure, other locations are more speculative.

I've narrowed it down to Fairfield as I need a top notch school system, and reasonable proximity to Norwalk so its easy for my daughter to visit her Dad. Also the type of house I'm looking for seems to be harder to find in some towns but Fairfield has more for me to look at, plus the idea of being closer to the ocean appeals, and I like the feel of the town. Have another reason I'd prefer not to move any further east than Fairfield too at this point. So many factors to consider!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:25 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I wouldn't count on Greenwich/White Plains as work options if you live in Fairfield unless you're OK with very, very long and stressful commutes. Whether you live in Fairfield or a few towns east, it won't make a difference as the traffic tends to start in Fairfield and ends in Greenwich. I can't recommend against that commute enough.

I see why you are looking at Fairfield. Maybe throw Orange into the consideration set. The schools are just as good (they actually perform a tad bit better on average than Fairfield), the real estate is way cheaper, you're plenty close to Milford beaches (which are more abundant and varied than Fairfield's), and it'd be a real nice commute. It'll add 15 minutes to your Norwalk drive, though. How old is your daughter?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:24 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I remember the OP well. She has been looking for a town similar to where she lives now in MA for a while now so I understand why she picked Fairfield. I agree the commute from Fairfield to Milford will be reasonable. Depending on where they live and work, I think it will be more like 20 to 30 minutes even during rush hour. Jay

Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 PM

160 posts, read 446,878 times
There is no rush hour North bound in the morning and South bound in the evening, my GF does it everyday.

Roads are deserted while the opposite side is dead stopped. Haha.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:43 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
As others have said, the commute is extremely easy. Major traffic begins Fairfield and south, and it's all going in the opposite direction of your travel. Still, accidents happen and we have a lot of "weather" here, so keep an eye on that.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Thanks everyone, it sounds better than I expected. I haven't actually witnessed rush-hour on 95, only really weekends or during the day, when it can be hit or miss in either direction depending on accidents.

Sounds like home in Fairfield, work in Milford could work out well. I'll keep all your comments in mind should they want me at another location, may have to rethink a town to live in if that's the case, but right now Milford is most likely. I just started working for this company and they are aware I'm moving to CT, and seem very flexible.

Thanks again, can't wait to move to CT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut