Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM

9,787 posts, read 7,507,148 times

Advertisements

You can do 84 and than get off on route 20 right before the entrance ton90 and take either 20 or 9 further north into the city.

An alternate if your going to south Boston: 84 to route 6. Follow that into Providence for 195 east to the Cape and take route 24 north to Boston.

I forgot 195 doesn't go directly into 3.

Another alternate: 84 to route 2. In Norwich follow that to 165, and take 138 in Ashford or Pomperert. Follow that into Rhode Island, and take that across the bridge to Newport. Once on the other side of the bay continue following 138, that'll turn into 24, and take that directly to Boston.

Last edited by 7express; 01-23-2014 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 03:41 PM

691 posts, read 1,152,572 times
I-90 in MA from Sturbridge-Boston is really only problematic during holiday weekends and summer weekends.

The alternative route would be 15 (Parkway)-->I-91-->I-84-->Route 20 East, right before the I-90 split. This is a really good alternative for when 90 is congested thru the Worcester area, but Route 20 gets a bit slow and narrow the closer you get to Boston.

Aside from holiday weekends and such, 84 to 90 is the way to go (assuming you can avoid 90 east during the morning rush hour, which is only bad about 10 miles outside of Boston).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchester2 View Post
Hi all, I drive from Philadelphia to Boston a lot. I take the Tappan Zee Bridge which is know problem, but the problem is after the Tappan Zee Bridge? I sometimes take I-95 all the way to boston from the TZB, and other times I take I-684 to I-84 to I-90 to boston from the TZB. Is there any route around I-95 and I-90? No matter which route I take I always am delayed in traffic for hours.

I-95 through connecticut until after New Haven has serious congestion issues. After New Haven it clears up a little though and goes smoothly the rest of the way, I also face some congestion issues around providence area as well, but thats not as bad, its usually over in 30 min, and then It goes good the rest of the way. but from I-287 to New Haven, thats a good 45 miles.

I-90 from Sturbridge to Boston also appears to be a parking lot as well, OMG when I get to the toll on I-84 it starts there, and then there is TONS of back up traffic on I-90. Basically After I reach I-495 it clears up a bit but then when I hit I-95 just before Boston, it starts to be congested again. Thats also a good 45 miles as well. Also going west I-84 has back up traffic near danbury as well.

Anyone know an alternative route to avoid I-95 through CT and I-90 through MA? Its becoming a ridiculous issue as I have to drive there almost every month, and get tired of that. Sometimes I delay 2 hours OMG.

Please help me with a better alternative. If there isn;t one which do you think would be my best bet usually. After driving them both ways 3 times, I decided to go with I-95 route to save tolls, and there is the bay which is good scenery, but traffic is still annoying me like heck.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM

21,806 posts, read 28,190,303 times
I've never had issues on 90 anywhere near what can happen on 95, or even 84 around Hartford. Just don't go at rush hour.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM

316 posts, read 725,692 times
The way I suggest involves bypassing the approach to the Mass Pike entirely. If Medway is your destination, it takes about 20 minutes longer to do the back roads per Google Maps, but if there is a jam at the Pike entrance (and OP - I'm with you - this can be awful at times) take the exit for Route 171 in Union, then take 197 east into Mass. Eventually you'll get onto Routes 16 and 109. The back roads in northeastern Connecticut are fast-moving and rather pretty - it's an unusually sparsely populated part of the world when you consider the overall density of the eastern seaboard states.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 AM

46 posts, read 135,643 times
Default Re

thanks professeurpablo, I will take your route

Stylo, on weekends which is when I always go the pike is jammed heck. On weekdays I-95 is jammed like the pike. On weekdays 84 to the pike would be better, but on weekends I-95 will get you there faster even though it does have quite a bit of traffic its faster then the mass turnpike on WEEKENDS.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Definitely check it out on Google Maps first - it will tell you how to negotiate some of the route switches along the way. Just type in Union, Conn as your starting point and Medway, Mass as your endpoint. You'll need to select the "avoid highways" option to get this route to come up. I remember learning of traffic backups via WBZ 1030 while driving home and doing this instead once or twice. It's definitely a slower route, but to me, being able to move is more important. I hate sitting on the highway in a traffic jam!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 PM

249 posts, read 355,527 times
Roue 9 from Worcester to Boston is a nightmare with all of the lights. Especially now that it's even more built up since I lived on route 9 in Worcester and commuted into Natick, MA 18 years ago. Without looking at a map, isn't Medway south of Boston on route 27? I would probably take 95 to 495. But that doesn't avid what you want to avoid.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:37 AM

46 posts, read 135,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekski View Post
Roue 9 from Worcester to Boston is a nightmare with all of the lights. Especially now that it's even more built up since I lived on route 9 in Worcester and commuted into Natick, MA 18 years ago. Without looking at a map, isn't Medway south of Boston on route 27? I would probably take 95 to 495. But that doesn't avid what you want to avoid.
Medway is off of MA-109. Its right next to milford off of I-495. I-95 to I-495 is the route I usually take, and I am asking for others.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 AM

A fun, somewhat offbeat pit stop suggestion for you: the Traveler Restaurant in Union, Connecticut. This is the place just off Route 84 with the sign announcing "Food" and "Books", and it is kind of fun. The food is nothing to write home about, but it's perfectly fine, and if you're a bookworm, you'll love the used book store. There's also a gift shop. After you take a break, you can resume your journey on the pretty back roads of northeastern Connecticut. Let us know how the trek goes!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,133,817 times
Maybe it's the time of day/night you are travelling. There really aren't alternatives beyond what others have said or taking side streets/local county roads. When I was travelling between Providence and NJ, I varied the time of my travel to avoid the heaviest traffic: stay out of western CT during work hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut