Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,900 times

Advertisements

I have another question to ask. I notice that the cost of living (Apartments, places to rent) are a lot higher than where we live in NC. We also have a good income and probably could rent an apartment for $900. Has anyone moved from the South to the North with the same career and got paid more to afford the living expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 PM

25 posts, read 39,221 times
Default We are wondering the same thing

We are about to move from Cornelius Nc to Mid Conn. My wife was recently hired with a company based in East Hartford.
We have been concerned about what we are seeing for rent on Hot Pads and Zillow ,prices to rent a house seem to be a lot more expensive up in Conn.
Just wondering if you had any luck?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
I have family in NC and I can definitely tell you rent and overall cost of living down South is better. Housing market in NC (Charlotte/Raleigh, especially) is solid. Most of Connecticut has been built since the dawn of time, so, you won't see large scale new construction. It's got more of an old rich feeling to it. Think Myers Park, if you guys are familiar with that area in CLT.

Eastern and Northwest CT is generally less expensive compared to rest of the state. Fairfield County, is one of the most expensive in the entire country. Hartford and New Haven counties can vary, but, generally expensive. All of these are more expensive than anything in NC.

You might have to sacrifice alot if you are looking for around $900. You might find something in Danbury, Norwalk, or the not too popular towns like Ansonia.

As for the same net income as NC, I'm not sure. I want to say yes. I knew of people who'd live with a couple roommates in Manchester and work in Hartford and saved up a good amount of money. That's tougher to do in NC. An IT job difference can easily be $10k.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Over the years we have had several people move from the south to Connecticut. Yes, housing prices are higher here. And you will likely notice that taxes, utilities, gas and food are higher too. One thing you will also notice is that we do not tax groceries here and you will see more services provided. Like any move, you have to do your due diligence to be sure the salary you are getting here will be comparable to the salary you make down south. IT usually is but again, you need to do your own analysis. Jay

Old 04-01-2014, 07:05 AM

720 posts, read 920,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
I have family in NC and I can definitely tell you rent and overall cost of living down South is better. Housing market in NC (Charlotte/Raleigh, especially) is solid. Most of Connecticut has been built since the dawn of time, so, you won't see large scale new construction. It's got more of an old rich feeling to it. Think Myers Park, if you guys are familiar with that area in CLT.

Eastern and Northwest CT is generally less expensive compared to rest of the state. Fairfield County, is one of the most expensive in the entire country. Hartford and New Haven counties can vary, but, generally expensive. All of these are more expensive than anything in NC.

You might have to sacrifice alot if you are looking for around $900. You might find something in Danbury, Norwalk, or the not too popular towns like Ansonia.

As for the same net income as NC, I'm not sure. I want to say yes. I knew of people who'd live with a couple roommates in Manchester and work in Hartford and saved up a good amount of money. That's tougher to do in NC. An IT job difference can easily be $10k.

Deff not Norwalk

Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Deff not Norwalk
Norwalk is only nice if you live in the quieter parts of town, away from the main roads. But overall, the city is not impressive. I'm dying to leave, to be honest, and never felt so suffocated in my life with housing options and cost of living.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
$900 in Norwalk would be scary. $900 kind of limits you to small apartments outside of New Haven, Hartford, Danbury.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
$900 in Norwalk would be scary. $900 kind of limits you to small apartments outside of New Haven, Hartford, Danbury.
Wallingford has some places for around $900 and isn't bad. I didn't find my current place on Zillow though (to the 2nd poster specifically), I found it on rent.com ($929 w/ first month free and a very small security deposit compared to every other place around here), and my last place for $850 on Craigslist.

Honestly though OP/davidjames, I'd wager you'd be able to find a similar career (depending on what it is of course) that would pay much more here than it would down south. You could probably feasibly find a cheap place here even if only temporarily with your current job, while looking actively for a new one.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There is a dumpy studio apartment building in a good area(Main Ave.) that rents for ~$900.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
There is a dumpy studio apartment building in a good area(Main Ave.) that rents for ~$900.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjames70 View Post
We are about to move from Cornelius Nc to Mid Conn. My wife was recently hired with a company based in East Hartford.
We have been concerned about what we are seeing for rent on Hot Pads and Zillow ,prices to rent a house seem to be a lot more expensive up in Conn.
Just wondering if you had any luck?
I also look at Zillow. I notice the same thing also expensive. If you put your average salary (your career) in Connecticut then shows the pay is also more depending what you do. I'm still researching myself for my husband and I. I think we saw that same studio you were talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut