Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 PM

36 posts, read 39,014 times

Advertisements

OP, what is your square footage? If you want over 3000+, you will have to move somewhere else unless you can afford 3-4 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 PM

413 posts, read 1,106,284 times
What concerns me about recommending Greenwich, in this case, is that the kids I know from Greenwich aren't particularly well spoken. They don't make eye contact with adults. And, they are very competitive with other kids, in kind of a mean way. They don't swear. They do put kids down via social aggression quite effectively. They are very sophisticated socially at very young ages. The query seemed concerned with language? The kids from Bronxville, hands down, are the most polite verbally that I've ever met. The kids in rural CT do not swear. On the other hand, they seem a little isolated and awkward in new situations. But, it depends on what you're looking for. Some people like their kids aggressive. Some people like their kids a little sheltered.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:10 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
What concerns me about recommending Greenwich, in this case, is that the kids I know from Greenwich aren't particularly well spoken. They don't make eye contact with adults. And, they are very competitive with other kids, in kind of a mean way. They don't swear. They do put kids down via social aggression quite effectively. They are very sophisticated socially at very young ages. The query seemed concerned with language? The kids from Bronxville, hands down, are the most polite verbally that I've ever met. The kids in rural CT do not swear. On the other hand, they seem a little isolated and awkward in new situations. But, it depends on what you're looking for. Some people like their kids aggressive. Some people like their kids a little sheltered.
This is a ridiculous post. All I see is "they, they, they", which means you're painting with a very broad brush. They don't make eye contact. They are competitive. They don't swear. They put kids down. See what I mean?

And if you don't think kids in "rural CT" swear, then you're completely out of touch.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,059 times
I like California people and don't care how freakish they are, as long as they are open minded and kind to others

But I prefer Northern California intellect over Southern California gaudy celebrity richy fad life. And I do not like the squandering of money on fad services like facelift Botox, very expensive teeth-whitening, an autographed Bieber album, bentleys...fancy limo, very expensive fancy stuff to impress friends that have absolutely no useful longterm benefit to one's life or memory. That plain fruitless richy stuff I dislike strongly...classless richiness

Spend the money on things that are timeless

Last edited by EricS39; 04-19-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 PM

Here is an example of Greenwich behavior that is disturbing to some, but not to others. Although it is hearsay, I have no reason to doubt the following anecdote that was related to me by a woman I met in a swim store whose swim team I was admiring. I believe it was 2013. The woman was from either Darien or New Canaan. She said that her daughter's swim team had beaten the Greenwich swim team the year before. As a result, during a dual meet that season, the Greenwich team did the following, in retaliation. The Greenwich team did not attend warmup. (Swim teams always warm up ahead of time.) The Greenwich team came onto deck late enough so that it was unsettling, but not so late that they forfeited. (Teams are always at the pool before start. If they are late, they are often given the option of warming up before start.) All the Greenwich swimmers had their long red jackets on. (Swimmers wear swim suits, not jackets to the starting blocks.) Then, when the whistle blew, the Greenwich swimmers took off their jackets. Underneath, they all had performance suits. (Performance suits -- the super expensive, fast suits -- are worn for championship meets, never for dual meets.) And then the Greenwich swimmers did other weird things too. None of it was illegal. It was a major psych out. Some people would applaud the Greenwich team for psyching their opponents out. Others would consider it bad form, bad sportsmanship. Regardless, it was mean, and socially aggressive. Greenwich won the dual meet, not because of skill, but for other reasons. Imagine Michael Phelps holding a meet up, and then wearing a jacket up to the block, not taking the jacket off until the last minute, and underneath it having a bathing suit that was 6X the cost of everyone else's bathing suit, and was designed to give him a competitive advantage. And, yes, there are regional differences in language and customs. If you haven't read anything academic, consider the existence of these forums.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:44 PM

36 posts, read 39,014 times
Reporting for duty Captain!

I still need more info.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:35 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Check out Southport Village in Fairfield. It is unbelieveably charming and as close to Norman Rocwell pretty as you can get. In fact I am pretty sure Norman Rockwell painted parts of Fairfield. Jay

Old 04-20-2014, 03:45 AM

Would Ridgefield work? I'm new to the area so am not sure. It seems like a gorgeous town with a lot of cultural action.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:19 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
Ridgefield is a lovely town- very good schools, family oriented, nice restaurants. Not nearly the pretense of NC, Greenwich or Darien. A bit harder commute to the city (Wilton or Katonah trains).
I know a lot of people who live there and everyone of them loves it.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:09 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Check out Southport Village in Fairfield. It is unbelieveably charming and as close to Norman Rocwell pretty as you can get. In fact I am pretty sure Norman Rockwell painted parts of Fairfield. Jay
This is true. Also Greenfield Hill, and Old Post Road in Fairfield. Very charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut