Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,972 times

Advertisements

I'm not here to start a war on this forum, I like Connecticut personally but in a recent Forbes report, New Haven was voted as one if the worst cities to visit in the United States.

High crime and unemployment were cited as the biggest reasons which I found to be odd because it's the home of Yale University, one of the most prestigious schools in America. I would think a college town with the caliber of Yale would attract lots of jobs and have a stronger economy.

I know where I live in Virginia UVA kinda helps Charlottesville economy wise, it's pretty decent here, especially if you have a skilled trade or degree in certain fields like Nursing and such, UVA is looking to hire more nurses actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 07:36 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I'm not here to start a war on this forum, I like Connecticut personally but in a recent Forbes report, New Haven was voted as one if the worst cities to visit in the United States.

High crime and unemployment were cited as the biggest reasons which I found to be odd because it's the home of Yale University, one of the most prestigious schools in America. I would think a college town with the caliber of Yale would attract lots of jobs and have a stronger economy.

I know where I live in Virginia UVA kinda helps Charlottesville economy wise, it's pretty decent here, especially if you have a skilled trade or degree in certain fields like Nursing and such, UVA is looking to hire more nurses actually.
Why bash one of the best foodie cities in the US? While it may not be up to NY or SF standards, it still beats Chicago and LA by overall restaurant quality JMHO.

Oh, and OP, source please.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:38 PM

It was in a recent forbes report

Old 06-14-2014, 07:44 PM

As a Yankee myself I think New England is beautiful, I would go into Connecticut all the time when I was living in Putnam County New York, always liked Patterson, quaint little country town, 15 minutes you were in Danbury.

Gosh I get homesick sometimes and when I read some of these things I'm like man there's no way I could ever live up there again, 105k a year I can live pretty nicely, except in the north east.

Don't feel bad though, Connecticut wasn't the only place getting picked on, Camden New Jersey was the worst, you have a 1 in 36 chance of being a victim of a crime in that city.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:46 PM

21 posts, read 50,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
As a Yankee myself I think New England is beautiful, I would go into Connecticut all the time when I was living in Putnam County New York, always liked Patterson, quaint little country town, 15 minutes you were in Danbury.

Gosh I get homesick sometimes and when I read some of these things I'm like man there's no way I could ever live up there again, 105k a year I can live pretty nicely, except in the north east.

Don't feel bad though, Connecticut wasn't the only place getting picked on, Camden New Jersey was the worst, you have a 1 in 36 chance of being a victim of a crime in that city.
Just for the record that 100% false. You can live VERY comfortably allover Ct EXCEPT for a couple of small pockets on 105k.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:03 PM

The most dangerous cities according to forbes:

1. Detroit.
2. Chicago.
3. Memphis.
4. Oakland.
5. Camden New Jersey.
6. Cleveland.
7. St. Louis.

I am trying to remember them all but the most dangerous of all and is considered the poorest in America is Camden New Jersey. Unless you're wearing a flak jacket and packing an AR-15 tactical weapon, probably best not to go there.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 PM

And what state had the highest foreclosure rate? California.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:14 PM

I was just reading it today while waiting to get my hair cut. See if I can find this thing again.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:19 PM

10 Worst Cities to Visit in the United States
Email
Facebook
Tweet
Pinterest
by Stuart Smith on Jun 24, 2013

8. New Haven, Connecticut
New Haven is best known for being home to Yale University, one of the most prestigious universities in the U.S. However, the surrounding area suffers from a dark reality, and one of the highest crime rates on the East Coast—with approximately 16 in 1000 incidents of crime, 22 murders (a rate that has doubled in the last year), and rapid unemployment (9.6% unemployment rate). Unfortunately much of the city is impoverished and crime-ridden, leaving New Haven with the eighth highest rate of robbery and the fourth highest rate of assault in all of America.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,112 times
OP, go to where you found it and give us a link that leads to the source .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut