Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,660 times

Advertisements

The rule of thumb on re-locating to FFC: Unless you have the opportunity of a lifetime in Stamford or NYC, STAY AWAY.

The congestion alone makes it unlivable. Yes, I realize NoVa is one of the most congested areas in the US..but at least they're doing something about it. For example, the HOT lanes on the Beltway, the complete rebuild of the Springfield interchange, the upcoming HOT lanes on I-95, etc. If you can carpool or are willing to pay a toll, you can have a congestion-free commute. That is just not possible in FFC, and is highly unlikely to change within our lifetime. Moreover, the completion of the silver-line will further relieve traffic and provide a real mass-transit option for the region. The mass-transit option in FFC (Metro North) is a complete joke..and, similar to our freeway system, suffers from a highly outdated infrastructure that is quite unlikely to be upgraded within our lifetime.

The housing stock is also much nicer in NoVa--mostly newer builds and nice subdivisions. Get ready to pay at least half a million dollars for a 1200 sq. ft home that lacks any modern amenities whatsoever. People here tend to confuse 'outdated' with 'charming'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 11:44 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,647,117 times
OP if you must live in CT, I recommend Stamford if you don't mind sucking up the relaxing setting, or Westport and Fairfield if you don't mind paying more for rent.

OP you might also want to consider Mamaroneck, NY. Its closer to Fairfield then Tarrytown and a little more upscale. But at the same time it will be more expensive, but it wouldn't be hard to find something within your budget there. Its convenient and relaxed. An added plus is the schools there are great even though its not a priority yet but when your kids get older you will find great schools.

Mamaroneck is about 30 miles from Fairfield and 25 miles from NYC. You could probably make it to both in 30-45 min depending on traffic, but again you to Fairfield your commuting against traffic, and to NYC there are tons of options so one option is bound to have okay traffic.

So consider Mamaroneck as well. Another option is if you want a little cheaper you could move to Port Chester, NY which is the next town up from Mamaroneck and then when your kids get older you can move to Mamaroneck after that. Port Chester is cheaper but schools aren't as good. Port Chester is kind of and urban-suburban town.

Let me know what you think.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:54 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,660 times
An expensive option, and not a particularly great commute (even though it's a reverse commute). Lots of congestion around the state line in the AM....and I-95 south is a complete parking lot in BOTH directions coming out of downtown Stamford in the afternoon..sometimes all the way back to the state line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
OP if you must live in CT, I recommend Stamford if you don't mind sucking up the relaxing setting, or Westport and Fairfield if you don't mind paying more for rent.

OP you might also want to consider Mamaroneck, NY. Its closer to Fairfield then Tarrytown and a little more upscale. But at the same time it will be more expensive, but it wouldn't be hard to find something within your budget there. Its convenient and relaxed. An added plus is the schools there are great even though its not a priority yet but when your kids get older you will find great schools.

Mamaroneck is about 30 miles from Fairfield and 25 miles from NYC. You could probably make it to both in 30-45 min depending on traffic, but again you to Fairfield your commuting against traffic, and to NYC there are tons of options so one option is bound to have okay traffic.

So consider Mamaroneck as well. Another option is if you want a little cheaper you could move to Port Chester, NY which is the next town up from Mamaroneck and then when your kids get older you can move to Mamaroneck after that. Port Chester is cheaper but schools aren't as good. Port Chester is kind of and urban-suburban town.

Let me know what you think.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,647,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
An expensive option, and not a particularly great commute (even though it's a reverse commute). Lots of congestion around the state line in the AM....and I-95 south is a complete parking lot in BOTH directions coming out of downtown Stamford in the afternoon..sometimes all the way back to the state line.
There's also the Merritt Pkwy as well, plus I-95 can be avoided with both commutes. The Merritt is not congested if your going against traffic. As I said for the commute to NYC there are several options. Its true that Mamaroneck can be an expensive option but its not more expensive then Westport or Fairfield. Your right about Stamford, but you must go through Stamford if your commuting from Norwalk or anywhere farther north. And again there is also the train option for Stamford and Mamaroneck. If its too expensive the OP can also look at Port Chester for the first years and move to a better school district when the kids get older.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 PM

267 posts, read 448,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
The rule of thumb on re-locating to FFC: Unless you have the opportunity of a lifetime in Stamford or NYC, STAY AWAY.

The congestion alone makes it unlivable. Yes, I realize NoVa is one of the most congested areas in the US..but at least they're doing something about it. For example, the HOT lanes on the Beltway, the complete rebuild of the Springfield interchange, the upcoming HOT lanes on I-95, etc. If you can carpool or are willing to pay a toll, you can have a congestion-free commute. That is just not possible in FFC, and is highly unlikely to change within our lifetime. Moreover, the completion of the silver-line will further relieve traffic and provide a real mass-transit option for the region. The mass-transit option in FFC (Metro North) is a complete joke..and, similar to our freeway system, suffers from a highly outdated infrastructure that is quite unlikely to be upgraded within our lifetime.

The housing stock is also much nicer in NoVa--mostly newer builds and nice subdivisions. Get ready to pay at least half a million dollars for a 1200 sq. ft home that lacks any modern amenities whatsoever. People here tend to confuse 'outdated' with 'charming'.
Outdated can be charming. Idk if the price is always warranted but those cheaply made new homes in cookie-cutter subdivisions .. *puke*

Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 AM

26 posts, read 64,643 times
I am from VA, central, and went to college and grad school in VA. Worked after in NOVA. Now in lower FC with kids, husband commute to NYC. I think many parts of CT are beautiful, and the beaches are lovely to look at, but I really pine for VA - the schools, the friends, the familiarity, the openness and kindness that is harder to undercover here. Its cold. Cold in every measure of the word. The schools are competitive - its a rat race from K on... the foreign language, that sport, this after school, etc. The commute is horrible, I rarely see my significant other. There are places that are nice, people are nice... but as a system, as a whole... it has not worked for us. Defiantly try things on, spend some time...

Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTMOFF View Post
I am from VA, central, and went to college and grad school in VA. Worked after in NOVA. Now in lower FC with kids, husband commute to NYC. I think many parts of CT are beautiful, and the beaches are lovely to look at, but I really pine for VA - the schools, the friends, the familiarity, the openness and kindness that is harder to undercover here. Its cold. Cold in every measure of the word. The schools are competitive - its a rat race from K on... the foreign language, that sport, this after school, etc. The commute is horrible, I rarely see my significant other. There are places that are nice, people are nice... but as a system, as a whole... it has not worked for us. Defiantly try things on, spend some time...
What town are you in?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 AM

26 posts, read 64,643 times
I would rather not be specific... but its consider one of the more affluent and aloof ones, for sure, within commenting distance of NYC.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 PM

3,351 posts, read 4,170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTMOFF View Post
I would rather not be specific... but its consider one of the more affluent and aloof ones, for sure, within commenting distance of NYC.
Based on your name, I would say Darien CT. I don't see what the big deal in this day and age of Facebook and a trend away from anonymous posting.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:26 PM

679 posts, read 1,191,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Based on your name, I would say Darien CT. I don't see what the big deal in this day and age of Facebook and a trend away from anonymous posting.
My name doesn't have any hints...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut