Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:27 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Didn't notice the 55+.

Either way, lots of nice cheap choices around there (rural eastern NHC and Middlesex) if they need to be closer to New London for the CC. It's a less expensive area than northern FFC, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC Vibe stop at Westport after than Welcome to New England
I generally agree, however someone from out of town might argue it doesn't stop until central/eastern CT. Having lived along the central CT shore, I can say there is still a heavy NY influence all the way up to Old Saybrook. While they aren't commuters, lots of NYC/Westchester residents visit on weekends. Then there is the CT boater crowd who seem to be more familiar with Long Island than the Hartford area.

As far as Torrington and Brookfield - they could not be more different. Torrington is a blue collar community that has some rundown areas while Brookfield is an upper middle class suburb of Danbury. On a 200k budget, I can't imagine you'd get much more than a tiny condo in Brookfield. In Torrington, you can probably get a modest but nice house.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Just as a side note I could go up to 200k but why if I can find just as nice a home in a similar town for less money.

I'm not the materialistic type, I do enjoy wearing nice clothes when going out and such but a smaller home in my opinion is easier to maintain and less of a tax burden. I don't need a mansion nor would want to have to clean one.

I just need cozy, compact, neat and tidy. I love cottage homes, a small ranch would do fine as well.
Armyvet,

Don't worry there are plenty of houses that will meet your criteria in Torrington. There are also a fair number of nice homes under $200k in nearby Harwington, New Hartford and even Litchfield.

Your best bet is to take a trip and scout it out.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I wanna try restaurants that can only be found in Torrington or Brookfield, ......
I also would seek information on activities from visiting the cities to farmers markets, orchards, state parks, and sports car races at Lyme Rock.
For restaurants, you might try DaCapo on Litchfield Road in Torrington.

As you know, Lime Rock is a unique resource. My brother's son is a driver-coach. PM me if you want an introduction.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:35 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
Thanks

Old 07-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Try Crown & Hammer in Collinsville. Charming little spot.

Also, lots of nice restaurants in Litchfield. Gorgeous town center. Arethusa is nice.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:57 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
West Street Grill near the courthouse in Litchfield is famous for having celebrities eating there. I have been a few times and saw a couple there (Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, Dustin Hoffman).

Torrington has a couple of old fashioned Italian restaurants right downtown that are still good though not very trendy. The Venetian and Bachi's have been around for years and were still good the last time I went to each. Jay

Old 07-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
West Street Grill near the courthouse in Litchfield is famous for having celebrities eating there. I have been a few times and saw a couple there (Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, Dustin Hoffman).

Torrington has a couple of old fashioned Italian restaurants right downtown that are still good though not very trendy. The Venetian and Bachi's have been around for years and were still good the last time I went to each. Jay
West Street gets mixed reviews but I had an awesome meal there, and the atmosphere is really nice.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:38 PM

127 posts, read 135,333 times
I don't know if you like to travel at all, but be aware that Torrington can be somewhat secluded if you are going anywhere but south, since that's the only way the highway really goes. It's not really a great spot to get to Hartford/Springfield/Boston/Albany as the location should be. This is moot point though if most of your plans take you to NYC area.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
I travel a lot and enjoy road trips. I'm kinda old fashion in that sense, I wish we still had the huge American made tanks called station wagons with the cheap wooden panels. The Chevy Caprice, Dodge Aspen, Ford LTD, Buick Roadmaster, those things were like the M1 Abrams of cars, and if you don't know what an M1 Abrams is it's a United States Military battle tank.

The Volvo and Honda Accord wagons were also pretty cool.

Sadly in the world we live in today, everybody is in a rush, the minivan replaced the station wagon, nothing says soccer mom more then a Dodge Grand Caravan.

Back in the good days of America family vacations consisted of loading up the wagon and hitting the open road. No matter what demographic you chose to live, that wagon and the highway was your ticket to freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut