Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 11,488 times

Advertisements

I've been happily settled into my rental home in Milford now for 9 months (was in a rental home in Hamden for 3 years prior- you all helped me choose Milford to be closer to my business in Westport) and I'm now about 1-2 years away from wanting to buy for the first time. I'm starting to casually shop around and know what's in my price range.

I originally thought I would buy along 95 for convenience to work. Milford, Trumbull, Stratford, Fairfield if I could pull it off, etc. I actually was diagnosed last year with a panic disorder and although it's 98% managed- the only time anxiety creeps up for me (even on meds) is in 95 and meritt traffic. I have no idea what caused my association between CT traffic and anxiety (okay maybe I do- maybe it's 9 years of suffering through it and finding it only getting worse by the day) but anyway- I'm starting to realize I might want to consider driving a bit more mileage and driving a bit more time wise- but letting the extra 20-30 minutes being worth it without so much anxiety. I'm not set 100%- but I'm looking into considering that for a more peaceful way of life in general- more similar to what I grew up with.

For what it's worth- my business and job are VERY flexible and I only have to commute into FFC 2x per week. My fiancé has to commute into FFC as well 2x per week at whatever hour is best for us (so clearly we do our best to avoid rush hour- not that it really matters these days with the traffic). Very flexible jobs.

Just as a side note- I grew up in Canton and LOVED it. Dream town in most ways- and wish it was closer to where I work now.

Okay so what I'm looking for:

-Avoiding 95 and the merritt as much as possible- preferably 7, 8, & 84
-A more country town- I prefer more of a rolling farmland kind of country (think Litchfield) but am not opposed to more wooded mountainy country (like I grew up mostly with in Canton).
-300ish budget- looking for about 1500 square feet and a little bit of property. Not a ton- but would love to have some space between neighbors for the dogs to bark their little heads off at squirrels without bothering too many people.
-A town that isn't upper class nor very blue collar. Something right in the middle or at least not too far to one extreme. (I grew up for 5 years in Naugatuck before Canton- and it's not my cup of tea for instance. Just too.... mill town ish?)
-Schools are not a major concern as I'm hoping to homeschool for many years now- but since a change of heart is always possible- somewhat decent schools (don't have to be the best) would be a plus just in case it isn't the right choice for my future kids. (So far one on the way- via adoption! )
-Something that wouldn't be ridiculously far from Westport. Open to a long drive if it's more peaceful- but curious about what you guys think is ridiculously far for each of us commuting 2x per week (on opposite days).

Curious to hear your answers- thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:48 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,352,262 times
Valley Towns (Seymour, Shelton).

I would stay off the 84 corridor, as that is also getting worse year by year. 7 is so-so, my older brother does the commute and he is eh about it becuase of the traffic lights.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
I'm thinking Bethel, especially for your commute. You'll get everything on your wish list, except for the country, rolling hills/farmland request.

Ps. Southern Bethel

Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 AM

678 posts, read 847,730 times
I nominate Upper FFC, myself. Newtown, Bethel, New Fairfield, etc. I suggest you check out these towns and see which one suits you best. New Milford is another suggestion. New Milford is the farthest from Westport, which means roughly an hour off peak time. 300k is perfect for all these places. You should find 1,500 sqft easily. Newtown's real estate is generally the most expensive from the towns I listed. You might find something more of value in the other towns.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 AM

New Fairfield is not a good suggestion for a Westport commute IMO. It's too far west and is MUCH better suited for a Westchester County commute. (And If you're familiar with the back roads and using a combination of 684 and some Westchester county roads, a commute to Stamford from NF would even be easier than a commute to Westport.). Unless the route 7 widening project has improved travel conditions so drastically, I wouldn't do it. It used to regularly take me over an hour to get to Norwalk from New Fairfield during rush hour (vs the 45 minutes it takes on a Saturday). Westport wouldn't be much better.

Bethel seems so obvious and perfect to me for this OP.

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-09-2014 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,171,712 times
Route 7 is really not problematic during rush hour. The widening project has drastically changed the flow dynamic.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Route 7 is really not problematic during rush hour. The widening project has drastically changed the flow dynamic.
^ good to know. Last time I did the commute to Norwalk was many years ago and it was pretty awful then. Glad to hear it has eased up.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:34 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I'm thinking Bethel, especially for your commute. You'll get everything on your wish list, except for the country, rolling hills/farmland request.

Ps. Southern Bethel
I agree on Bethel. Appropriate for budget. Pretty easy Westport commute. 35-45 minutes. I did that commute for 4 years. Via Route 53 or 58 it's a very peaceful drive. I used to get very frustrated behind slow cars, but there's no real "traffic" except on Route 57 with the Weston schools, and once you get into side streets in Westport.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Ugh, same here. I currently live along I-95 and it's hell on earth.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:28 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,648,420 times
Trumbull and Shelton are good options. They are partly rural towns, and really convenient to Westport. You might struggle a bit finding a house there within your budget, but I looked on zillow, and there are quite a few houses within your budget if you only need around 1500 sq ft. But be careful Trumbull has somewhat high taxes. Shelton is average and more rural then Trumbull and cheaper as well, but it is farther commute from Westport, although it should still be OK. From Shelton you can take CT-8 S and then take back roads from Bridgeport to Westport rather then I-95 or the Merritt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut