Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM

12 posts, read 19,119 times

Advertisements

For various reasons, I need to get out of NY state. I'd like to stay near my family though, so I'm thinking of moving to the Scranton/Lackawanna County sections of the state. Of course, this all will hinge on my ability to get a job in the IT sector. Anyone know how the outlook on that is currently? What's real estate like? What can I expect? Property taxes? Any info would help a lot. The sooner I get out of NY and into PA, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
NEPA is not a hotbed for IT, but there are always companies around who are hiring for positions in IT, software and systems. Check out the "PA Job Gateway," an online job search tool of the state employment service, now called PA Career Link.

If you have an extensive IT resume, my best advice is to head out to the "silicon valley" where IT jobs are going begging.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 PM

452 posts, read 682,233 times
Scranton is in a financial downslide to be polite. Crime is just plain getting worse. Taxes will keep going up with little return to the property owner. And to be honest, "getting out of NY State for various reasons" sounds like your running from something. I don't know or care what your motive is, but moving to the area will only compound your problems. By the way, there is no geographic cure to 99% of anyones problems. Good Luck.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush3pwood View Post
For various reasons, I need to get out of NY state. I'd like to stay near my family though, so I'm thinking of moving to the Scranton/Lackawanna County sections of the state. Of course, this all will hinge on my ability to get a job in the IT sector. Anyone know how the outlook on that is currently? What's real estate like? What can I expect? Property taxes? Any info would help a lot. The sooner I get out of NY and into PA, the better.
If you are looking to stay in PA, the IT sector is big in southeast PA near the Philly area. Problem is, the taxes are pretty high there, too.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:23 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush3pwood View Post
Forget about finding any job in I/T that pays what your probably getting paid in the city...I work in I/T and have to commute to NJ where I lived before moving out here...and I've been coming out here since '96 and moved out here permanently in '07...the only major employer, for example, is in Swiftwater in the Poconos and that's Aventis Pasteur...makers of the flu vaccine...and their I/T department is outsourced so good luck with that...they wanted to hire me when I was job hunting and desperate back in 2006 but fortunately at the same time the company where I currently work also called me for a permanent full-time position...well that was a no-brainer since I knew that with outsourcing companies the future is not too bright...you can be with them for a year or two and then out the door...if you really need to get out of NY as quick as you say you do then I would look in Westchester or Sullivan counties...at least there you can take the Metro-North into the city...don't believe any stories you may hear of trains going to the city from Scranton or anywhere in NE PA because it ain't gonna happen, as they say...they've been saying that for more than 20-30 years...good luck!!

Old 01-09-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Scranton is in a financial downslide to be polite. Crime is just plain getting worse. Taxes will keep going up with little return to the property owner. And to be honest, "getting out of NY State for various reasons" sounds like your running from something. I don't know or care what your motive is, but moving to the area will only compound your problems. By the way, there is no geographic cure to 99% of anyones problems. Good Luck.
The only thing I'm running from is a tyrannical state government and ridiculous taxes. Hopefully those types of problems don't follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Forget about finding any job in I/T that pays what your probably getting paid in the city...I work in I/T and have to commute to NJ where I lived before moving out here...and I've been coming out here since '96 and moved out here permanently in '07...the only major employer, for example, is in Swiftwater in the Poconos and that's Aventis Pasteur...makers of the flu vaccine...and their I/T department is outsourced so good luck with that...they wanted to hire me when I was job hunting and desperate back in 2006 but fortunately at the same time the company where I currently work also called me for a permanent full-time position...well that was a no-brainer since I knew that with outsourcing companies the future is not too bright...you can be with them for a year or two and then out the door...if you really need to get out of NY as quick as you say you do then I would look in Westchester or Sullivan counties...at least there you can take the Metro-North into the city...don't believe any stories you may hear of trains going to the city from Scranton or anywhere in NE PA because it ain't gonna happen, as they say...they've been saying that for more than 20-30 years...good luck!!
I'm from upstate (Syracuse) so I don't need to make a killing.

I don't need to get out quick, in fact, with the wife pregnant, I have a little time, but the sooner the better! I've had it with this place.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:00 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
when we looked into relocating full time to nepa the finances were really not to scale.

being in a technical field i found the pay less than 1/2 of my new york pay but we figured out we could make do with about 20% less income in nepa. that wouldn't work.

all the big expenses were very close in cost.

medical insurance, college , a car, food was a little cheaper ,repairs on things were close, clothes were close.

even our housing costs were close because a two bedroom co-op in ny had to be sold for a 3 bedroom house in nepa.

none of the kids stay with is when they visit in ny since they are local. everyone was staying with us when they came to pa.

the costs were about the same you just got a whole house in pa vs an apartment but from a cash flow standpoint they worked out about the same.

usually cheaper cost of living follows cheaper pay and the two are not always proportional.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:27 AM

I'm assuming it's comparable to syracuse, but with much lower taxes.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
many other aspects to look at. like i said giving up things like public transportation if needed are big issues.

paying for garbage collection and snow removal are other expenses in nepa we didn't pay in the city.

pa has an inheritance tax.

where you will work in nepa may have other taxes associated with it.

work outside of pa and you may find you are payng other states tax rates.

work in scanton and i think they have a local tax.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 AM

452 posts, read 682,233 times
Thank you for your clarification. Now, bottom line, Scranton will be a mistake. Period. Again, best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania