Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 AM

46 posts, read 99,118 times

Advertisements

The post title pretty much says it all

I was looking online and I am finding some pretty nice updated homes right around 100K (some lower).

A move to CT wouldn't be for a few years potentially, but with her family there I am sure it might happen sooner or later. We are smart with money and with our student loans, we currently live below our means and are not afraid to stay that way for quite awhile.

I ran a search on the forum and some reasons are crime, perhaps? I know trusting a trulia website is dumb, but they research crimes in the areas and many of them have a 'green' zone and report very few crimes.

Would you live in Waterbury if you had to live frugally?

Any insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,428,667 times
Watch the taxes. I have seen some listings for about $100,000 where they are $6500 a year

Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 AM

43 posts, read 64,666 times
I would not raise kids in Waterbury.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Watch the taxes. I have seen some listings for about $100,000 where they are $6500 a year

Hartford, New Britain, Bridgeport, East Hartford, New Haven, Ansoina/Derby, Hamden, Manchester, New London, Meriden, West Haven has high taxes also

Bridgeport, Waterbury, Hartford, East Hartford pay the highest then New Haven

Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loque View Post
The post title pretty much says it all

I was looking online and I am finding some pretty nice updated homes right around 100K (some lower).

A move to CT wouldn't be for a few years potentially, but with her family there I am sure it might happen sooner or later. We are smart with money and with our student loans, we currently live below our means and are not afraid to stay that way for quite awhile.

I ran a search on the forum and some reasons are crime, perhaps? I know trusting a trulia website is dumb, but they research crimes in the areas and many of them have a 'green' zone and report very few crimes.

Would you live in Waterbury if you had to live frugally?

Any insight is appreciated.

Waterbury typical have the cheapest average house prices in CT even than Hartford and Bridgeport because Waterbury is in middle of nowwhere, nothing much is in waterbury...Crime is bit above average some parts of Waterbury is nice it not a place to raise a family though.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:32 AM

720 posts, read 1,708,996 times
High taxes, low performing schools , some areas of serious crime. Have to know your way around to locate a good neighborhood, and probably private schools for the kids. Daughter and sil are teachers there, and it's a tough job.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:49 AM

627 posts, read 1,057,982 times
Given that not many people are going to be actually working in Waterbury, the question is really, why would you rather live in Waterbury than one of the neighboring towns? If the answer is "nothing," that's going to drive Waterbury prices down.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
Waterbury is one of CT's old , blue collar, factory towns that has seen better days. It's economically depressed. As others have noted, schools under perform and some neighborhoods can be very sketchy.

If I had children, private or parochial schools might be the way to go. That said, there are some nice areas, although I would worry about resale.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 PM

21,731 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Lack of jobs, old infrastructure, lower income, high taxes, underperforming schools are good reasons to be cheap. It's in a funny area in CT, not really "close" to any major job centers.

The crime actually isn't THAT bad (slightly worse than the national average), it's just economically blah.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,806 times
Taxes and quality of the town. I'd never want to live there.
I'm in Hamden and now see why some home prices were lower compared to other towns. Taxes and Hamden has a lot of New Haven spill over. Its not as bad a a place as Waterbury though, imo. But if I could do it over again, id rent longer to afford to love in a nicer town and have lower taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut