Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 02:28 AM

7 posts, read 9,104 times

Advertisements

My husband has decided he really likes CT & thinks we should move there. He's currently there working in Stamford. Problem is it's summer right?! He's forgotten what it's like in winter. He's visited many times for work so "knows" what it's like in a hotel/taxi living way. I'm happy to move, it'll be a good experience I assume.

My problem is what on earth do you all do in winter? On a day to day basis, how do you get out & about and exercise if you're 6 foot under snow? (I don't even know what a foot is!)

Whilst I'm not looking to replicate what we have here in Sydney (Australia), I know we are an outdoorsy family with kids. & I need for them to be outdoors running around / doing sports or whatever.

So please tell me what your kids do in winter to stay active & how that works?
How do you (adults) stay active? Join a gym? indoor sports centre?

Our winter days range from approx 10-20C (50-68F I think) days - so I truly have no idea how to live in your climate!

Thanks!

PS - My son would like to find a rowing club. Any recommendations?

Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 03:31 AM

304 posts, read 397,176 times
2 meters of snow here (6 feet) has not ever been recorded. Over the history of the state 3 feet or 1 meter has been seen, but during an average winter 2 feet is not common. Usually a foot is maximum. If you live in Stamford, which is on Long Island Sound, during an average winter about 30 inches falls- less then a meter from November to April. At Hartford, 38 miles from the coast, and slightly colder in winter on average just over a meter of snow falls from late autumn to early spring.

We do have a winter here compared to the Temperate climate of Sydney. This does not mean people stay inactive, and live like they might in northern Canada or Alaska. Seasons of course are reversed. We are now in late summer here, with temperatures over the next 7 days to range from 27C- to 32C. In September with the declining Sun, daytime temperatures become cooler ranging from 22-27C- but heat waves with high temperature's can occur with uncomfortable humidity exceeding 33C. Heat waves in summer can see temperatures sometimes exceed 38C.

Autumns are benign here- with mild to warm days, with cool to chilly nights. The first frosts usually occur in late October. Mild weather from 12-18C can last well into November. Snow in light amounts can begin in late November into early December.

January is the coldest month. For a Sydneysider- it will be an adjustment. Daytime highs in the winter will sometime not rise above 0C and at night may on occasion drop to minus 15C. But usually daytime temps range from 2C to 6C with over night lows below freezing.. Raw overcast days with snow, sleet, or rain are common, sometimes this disagreeable weather is accompanied by strong persistent winds. Air conditioning will be needed some of the time from May through September- heating costs can be expensive here if you rely on home heating oil- natural gas is more economical, better yet solar.

Winter begins to fade in early to mid March. Springtime gets into full mode from mid to late April with flowers and trees blooming. There are climate variations with coastal Connecticut having an almost humid subtropical climate, while inland Connecticut having a humid continental climate. One can enjoy most outdoor activities here from sailing, to hiking, golf, biking, gardening, tennis from mid April to sometimes late November- during the winter months depending on the weather one can still go hiking, walking, and some winter sports (though this is better further north of us). 'Beach' weather is confined from late May, through September. The main difference for you will be learning to drive on roads/highways that sometimes may be covered with snow or ice. Though these conditions do not last long - the local towns and state usually clear them quickly- its something you will need to adjust to. Since we have a strong seasonal variation here- different options in clothes will be needed.

Last edited by newerabuzz; 08-23-2014 at 03:58 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 AM

7 posts, read 9,104 times
So maybe I'm 'worrying' about nothing.
What sports do kids play in winter? (Ages 5 & 13. )

Old 08-23-2014, 04:55 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
If you are not used to snow and cold temps, winters here in CT can be difficult. I've lived here over 30 years and freeze all winter, I really loathe winter. However, many people who live here in CT are hardy souls and think temps below 30 are comfy. They are the ones who are quick to say winters here are mild, or it could be much worse. For me, fall begins rather quick, and spring is late to arrive. Summer is only a couple of months long. If winters here were on average 50-68 I would think I had died and gone to heaven. Now, it's true we don't get 6 feet of snow all at once, but it does accumulate over time. It's not uncommon to get snow in November, and have it stick around until March, with additional snow accumulating during those months. We had snow piled on the sides of the road up and over our mailbox, with a few feet of snow everywhere else by March or so this past winter. A couple of winters ago we got just under 3' of snow during one snowfall, but that much snow at once is rare. If you live along the coastline you'll generally get less snow than further inland. The Stamford area is a bit milder than further inland. Towns and cities are pretty good at keeping the roads clear, though.

There are a number of outdoor recreational activities people can enjoy here, such as skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, sledding, snowmobiling...kids in particular enjoy playing in the snow. There are indoor sports centers where kids can play soccer, basketball, football etc. I belong to a gym, there are numerous gyms in CT.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:42 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
and, don't forget, ice hockey in the winter as well.

Snow usually falls several times during the winter, but rarely more than a few inches at a time. Last year, Bradley Airport has 50 inches total for the winter, which was much higher than normal.

The previous winter, it was 47 inches total, also well above average. However, over half of that was from the huge blizzard in February 2014 where some of the state got up to 1 meter of snow in total (around the New Haven area). Other than that, it was a fairly mild winter in terms of snow - 18-24 inches in total.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
However, over half of that was from the huge blizzard in February 2014 where some of the state got up to 1 meter of snow in total (around the New Haven area).
Yeah, some towns got up to 40" in that one snowfall. It was crazy. Editing to say I think that we have been in an unusually snowy weather pattern in recent years. We had around a foot of snow in October a few years ago, before the leaves had even fallen from the trees. Many of us had no power for up to a week, or more. Power outages as a result of wild weather has be a problem for many in recent years, too.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 08-23-2014 at 06:04 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 05:56 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Some towns got up to 40" in that one snowfall.
1 meter is about 39 inches, I believe.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 AM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Where do I start?

1. 6 feet? Maybe you were exaggerating.. We're lucky to get 6 inches of snow in more than 2 storms a month. lol

2. Roads are fine and most of the time melted the next day. Life carrys on 24/7 except when a storm hits for few hours.

3. Snow is not always on the ground and it's not always cold! That means you see grass and pavement most of the time except during an extreme winter.

4. Kids go to school, sleigh ride, play video games, ice skate, build snowmans, bundle up and play hide and seek, play football, basketball, Ski, snowboard, snow angles, build igloos, play paintball, read, do homework, ect..

5. Yes, Northern Hemisphere it's Summer here now. Southern Hemisphere its winter. Southern tip of South America is very cold right now.

6. Sometimes it doesn't snow but it gets cold and you can't row when our rivers freeze like this. lol (Jan 4, 2014)

Old 08-23-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

2. Roads are fine and most of the time melted the next day.

3. Snow is not always on the ground and it's not always cold!
You live on the coast, but inland there is often snow on the ground ALL winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
4. Kids go to school, sleigh ride, play video games, ice skate, build snowmans, bundle up and play hide and seek, play football, basketball, Ski, snowboard, snow angles, build igloos, play paintball, read, do homework, ect..

Love those snow angles.
Attached Thumbnails
What on earth do you do in Winter??-snowangle.jpg  

Old 08-23-2014, 06:10 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
You'll get plenty of exercise shoveling snow!

Having lived in CT most of my life, it has been my experience that kids will play in the snow after a snowfall, ice skate when the lakes and ponds have frozen sufficiently, and sign up for basketball. You can still take walks in the winter as long as the wind chill isn't low enough to cause frostbite. When my kids got older, they went to a gym for exercise.

Unless you make a concentrated effort to stay active in the winter, it is normal for most people to kind of hibernate. Many have indoor hobbies they pursue, while they wait for spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut