Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
5 of those zip codes are Greenwich. Does Greenwich actually need 5 zip codes? And Southport is a section of Fairfield..
So the most expensive list really is:

1Greenwich
2New Canaan
3Darien
4Westport
5Norwalk (part of)
6Weston
7Fairfield
8Wilton

Personally IMHO, these lists that color ALL of suburban CT by the golden status of 8 municipalities does the rest of us a disservice. There's 169 cities and towns in CT, only 8 fit this list, so 161 communities are full of regular homes & hard working people.
What is more of a regular home - a 1,200 square foot ranch in Greenwich or a 3,500 square foot colonial in Glastonbury? Sure, the ranch home in Greenwich might for for $1.2 million, while the colonial in Glastonbury goes for around half that, despite being nearly 3x bigger.

(not to pick on Glastonbury - it could be any suburb of Hartford or New Haven.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 08:44 AM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Fairfield and Norwalk are due to Rowayton and Southport, and waterfront properties in the $ Ms in the beach area and east Norwalk.
You DO realize that 06824 (which is the western side of Fairfield from the beach area/Old Post rd to Greenfield Hill) has a HIGHER average than Southport. This is actually pretty impressive given how much more land mass (and homes) are in 06824 than 06890. What it says is that Southport is very, very high directly in the village (and along Pequot Ave.), but much of Southport is lower valued homes (north of 95).

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 10-11-2014, 08:46 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Hey hey .. slow down.. No rant, no anti success sentiment intended, I know folks work hard everywhere, but come on.. have you really never noticed just exactly how many non-CT folk come on this board with a really bad impression of CT wealth, COL, excesses, etc, that translates to utterally nondiserved negative view of CT citizenry as a whole, regardless of zipcode- before they even come to visit? I'm just saying it doesn't, IMHO, help to make the gold coast sound larger than it really is. It doesn't beat back the awfully comical country club stereotype that gets portrayed about our entire state. And no, I don't hate country clubs- they're great, nor do I have a negative bias to the gold coast, it just isn't the majority of our state.
As an out of stater who lived in NJ and MA most of my life, this is exactly how I feel about CT. I think all 3 states have extreme wealth and poverty, but for some reason I always think of CT when I think of the wealthiest state.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
You DO realize that 06824 (which is the western side of Fairfield from the beach area/Old Post rd to Greenfield Hill) has a HIGHER average than Southport. This is actually pretty impressive given how much more land mass (and homes) are in 06824 than 06890. What it says is that Southport is very, very high directly in the village (and along Pequot Ave.), but much of Southport is lower valued homes (north of 95).

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Yes I do I'm in 06824, right, beach area and greenfield hill. Southport north of post is pretty expensive as well though, other than a couple of streets and the condos.

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 10-11-2014, 09:18 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
As an out of stater who lived in NJ and MA most of my life, this is exactly how I feel about CT. I think all 3 states have extreme wealth and poverty, but for some reason I always think of CT when I think of the wealthiest state.
I have several friends who moved down to the South or Southwest in their 30s and they say that if you tell women you're from Connecticut, they'll automatically think you're rich.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:55 AM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I have several friends who moved down to the South or Southwest in their 30s and they say that if you tell women you're from Connecticut, they'll automatically think you're rich.
Good to know...

Old 10-11-2014, 10:37 AM

74 posts, read 735,701 times
As I am working in real estate, I can tell the list is not accurate at all.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:01 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
CT is full of educated people from Ivy League schools not surprised at all by this. Lawyers, Dr's and CEO's making more than the average I am so shocked. My dad is a Dr, my mom is a math professor, my brother is a lawyer, I am in business health care.. want to get paid get a master's degree or higher on average. Advanced and professional degrees lead to success and a hard work ethic.
Oh please. Doctors graduate owing 200,000 or more, people become CEO's because they've been at a company their whole lives, lawyers can't find jobs but still graduate 200,000 or more in debt.

And if I needed a CEO the first thing I would look for is leadership experience through military service. I would want a man or woman who actually knew what commitment and sacrifice actually meant. A boss says "I" a leader says "we". Feed off the strong points, mentor the weak points, retain within the organization.

Finally most of the Ivy Leaguers are very academically inclined and get the jobs they do because of the the people their parents know or the family traditions are deeply rooted in those Ivy League Schools. Mom went to Yale, Dad went to Princeton, that sort of thing.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:54 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Keep in mind many of the top zip codes on these lists are only a couple hundred people, which means they only make up a small neighborhood - not a whole town.
Bingo. If there was a population standard those zips in Greenwich would be much higher.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Oh please.

And if I needed a CEO the first thing I would look for is leadership experience through military service. I would want a man or woman who actually knew what commitment and sacrifice actually meant.
Oh please.

I've worked with many colleagues who served. I've worked for many bosses within my organization that served in the military.

My experience has been that they overwhelmingly lacked any type of leadership skills. They possessed the ability to take directives from someone above them.

That is not leadership skill. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut