Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:11 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Uh-huh. Waiting for Superman was a huge piece of propaganda brought to you by the same people behind ConnCan and other non-grassroots "education reform" groups whose ultimate goal is privatizing public education. I think you'd be wise enough to wonder why they only had one person representing the union and twenty more people representing union bashers. As my third grade teacher always said "put on your thinking caps".
I so agree with you. To say you hate a group that dedicates itself to improving the education of our children is really kind of silly. Despite what others think, most teachers just want to teach children the best they can. They find interferance from administrators and politicians to distract from what really should be going on in the classroom. They get blamed for failing schools which really is not their fault when you look at the home life of their students. How do you get a child to improve their grades when there is little or no support at hime? You can't. I would love to see a politiian get up and say the truth, that it is not the school that is failing it is the parents. They won't do that because they would alienate the people that vote for them. Too bad because that would likely be the thing to bring about real change and corrective action. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 02:23 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Teacher's Unions dedicates itself to improving education of children? I thought unions were to protect the "workers" against management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I so agree with you. To say you hate a group that dedicates itself to improving the education of our children is really kind of silly. Despite what others think, most teachers just want to teach children the best they can. They find interferance from administrators and politicians to distract from what really should be going on in the classroom. They get blamed for failing schools which really is not their fault when you look at the home life of their students. How do you get a child to improve their grades when there is little or no support at hime? You can't. I would love to see a politiian get up and say the truth, that it is not the school that is failing it is the parents. They won't do that because they would alienate the people that vote for them. Too bad because that would likely be the thing to bring about real change and corrective action. Jay

Old 10-25-2014, 08:21 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Something I found absolutely troubling in that documentary was the amount of parents and kids who think a lottery will make or break their educational future. These parents need to be empowered to guide their kids and get involved in their school. These reformers have them believing their fate lies in a drawing from a hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Teacher's Unions dedicates itself to improving education of children? I thought unions were to protect the "workers" against management.
Protect the workers against management so that they can do their job. Go to a school board meeting once in a while. Some parents can be vindictive if their snowflake gets less than an A; taxpayers are darn cheap and would easily fire veteran teachers and replace them with less expensive first year teachers; administrators could easily mandate a reading program or disciplinary procedure that makes no sense and teachers would have no voice for themselves or the students.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:09 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
"Vindictive" parents and "snowflake" students....and teacher's unions primary focus is student learning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Something I found absolutely troubling in that documentary was the amount of parents and kids who think a lottery will make or break their educational future. These parents need to be empowered to guide their kids and get involved in their school. These reformers have them believing their fate lies in a drawing from a hat.

Protect the workers against management so that they can do their job. Go to a school board meeting once in a while. Some parents can be vindictive if their snowflake gets less than an A; taxpayers are darn cheap and would easily fire veteran teachers and replace them with less expensive first year teachers; administrators could easily mandate a reading program or disciplinary procedure that makes no sense and teachers would have no voice for themselves or the students.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:33 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
"Vindictive" parents and "snowflake" students....and teacher's unions primary focus is student learning?
You're not making sense. I just explained a few reasons why teachers are given due process rights. I'm not a teacher or in a union and those were my words. What's your problem with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: