Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:20 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Oh yea...CT won't shut down from snow. Many businesses will stay open and the plows/towns know how to manage storms.
Yup. And even if it does, the next day we're back. Kinda sad in a way that they manage it so well that snow doesn't stick around on the roads for days. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Oh, but as for driving....you'll be fine. I have a Civic coupe and didn't put snow tires on last year and I survived getting to the family/friends I have up there. I'm putting on Pirelli's this year, but driving wise...you will be fine.
I put snow tires on last year, makes you realize the All Season Tires are crap. Now I have a new car so I'll just keep the new tires on and use the snow tires that are still good next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datas View Post
I am looking at apartments and trying to determine if the snow and road conditions would be different between Walnut Beach and Downtown Milford. I am moving in November and will commuting to Shelton for work. I didn't know if the beach area would be less plowed and, as a result, be more difficult driving. I drive a civic and plan to get to get snow tires.

Thanks!
There will always be roads here and there that are plowed later then the rest especially if its a road less travelled.

Yes, get snow tires, you'll love them and feel safer BUT anything over 4" will be tough anyway but at least if you get stuck on the road while its snowing you'll appreciate having them.

tell them you want to keep your original tires of course. Then in March they will swap them and you keep your snow tires for following year. (put them back on Nov or Dec)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 01:27 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yes, get snow tires, you'll love them and feel safer BUT anything over 4" will be tough anyway but at least if you get stuck on the road while its snowing you'll appreciate having them.

tell them you want to keep your original tires of course. Then in March they will swap them and you keep your snow tires for following year. (put them back on Nov or Dec)
I agree with the suggestion, but it may not be practical for the OP, unless she wants to rent a storage unit to store the tires.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:09 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I agree with the suggestion, but it may not be practical for the OP, unless she wants to rent a storage unit to store the tires.
Exactly--it wasn't feasible for me. I just did crazy research and consulted the crap out of my mechanic....I found great all season tires, specific to my car, that will plow through our winters.

My storage units aren't built yet, so I have nowhere to keep regular tires!

Old 10-28-2014, 02:40 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
I don't recommend keeping snowtires on all year round

1. They aren't as a quiet ride as reg tires
2. You will wear them out for next winter. Why thin the tread out for no reason.

So yeah if you don't have a place to store them then get the seasonals. Not sure how many miles u do a year but you will notice they won't be as good as the 1st winter with them.

Maybe family or friends has a spot? I have them in a closet in the basement. Doesn't take up much space as they are stackable.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:18 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I had these for a while on my daily driver, which was RWD. Pretty solid in all conditions. I've recommended them to friends and family and everyone seems to like them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut