Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,314 times

Advertisements

Hi- We used to live in Guilford and now are moving back to shoreline. Husband will be commuting to Plainfield and Branford or Guilford is a bit too far. He would love to live on the water, and I would too, in theory, but never knew much about old saybrook, niantic, etc. in terms of personality of towns. We're interested in good schools, we're both in our 40's, and we would love some sense of artsyness/stuff to do (although i realize these are small towns). But for me, as i work part time, i would like to be able to meet and find other parents with young kids and not feel isolated or that there is nothing "going on" for parents with kids (again, i realize these are not bustling places). Can someone please give me a sense of these different towns? Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
It does get a little isolated by design in those towns. That's part of the appeal. Old Saybrook has a nice town center. I am not as familiar with Niantic, but Essex has a charming feel.

Madison might be worth considering. Real nice town center, excellent schools. But it's also more expensive than the towns you are asking about. That said, it's still a lot cheaper than southwest CT. Bit of a haul to Plainfield though.

I'd consider Stonington and the Mystic area too. You're close to New London and the Westerly/Misquamicut area, which gives you lots of stuff to do in the warmer months. Also not too far of a drive to Newport and Providence.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla118 View Post
Hi- We used to live in Guilford and now are moving back to shoreline. Husband will be commuting to Plainfield and Branford or Guilford is a bit too far. He would love to live on the water, and I would too, in theory, but never knew much about old saybrook, niantic, etc. in terms of personality of towns. We're interested in good schools, we're both in our 40's, and we would love some sense of artsyness/stuff to do (although i realize these are small towns). But for me, as i work part time, i would like to be able to meet and find other parents with young kids and not feel isolated or that there is nothing "going on" for parents with kids (again, i realize these are not bustling places). Can someone please give me a sense of these different towns? Thanks so much!!!
East Lyme (Niantic) was more "blue collar" but they have really REALLY been working on the downtown RT1 strip and it's looking nice. It's not all swank like Madison but it's nice. New brick sidewalks, gas lamp lights, an oceanfront park, the new boardwalk along the ocean (Still being worked on) and there are a lot of shops opening up DT and a nice new Irish Pub etc.

You should also be looking at Waterford, Mystic, and Stonington IMO. I like Stonington the best for living as Mystic while great can be a little touristy.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
East Lyme also has good schools, so I would agree it would be a good place to start. Jay

Old 08-25-2011, 05:59 AM

168 posts, read 275,423 times
O.S. has better schools. Go look at greatschools.org Lyme does too.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post
O.S. has better schools. Go look at greatschools.org Lyme does too.
The only problem with Old Saybrook and Lyme is that there isn't "much going on" as the OP specified that she wanted. Old Saybrook is a notoriously quiet town with a population that grows in the summer. There is a small art community in town, but I wouldn't characterize it as bustling. Essex is also very nice, but you'll have to drive a few towns away for a variety of restaurant/shopping options. If your top priority is finding a nice coastal suburb with quite a few kids and some things to do, your best bets are Madison and Mystic.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
The only problem with Old Saybrook and Lyme is that there isn't "much going on" as the OP specified that she wanted. Old Saybrook is a notoriously quiet town with a population that grows in the summer. There is a small art community in town, but I wouldn't characterize it as bustling. Essex is also very nice, but you'll have to drive a few towns away for a variety of restaurant/shopping options. If your top priority is finding a nice coastal suburb with quite a few kids and some things to do, your best bets are Madison and Mystic.
Obviously you don’t spend much time on the Connecticut coast;

Old Saybrook and East Lyme are close to the largest shopping area between Milford, CT and Providence, RI (at exit 82 on I-95). If one seeks proximity to restaurants (both indoor and outdoor), shopping, book stores, clothing stores, etc they would want to be closer to either Milford or Waterford. Madison, while a nice beach town, is stuck right in the middle on a shopping void: It’s 25 miles (and the traffic of the Q Bridge) to get to a mall in Milford….and it’s 25 – miles to get to the big shopping area at exit 82 in Waterford. Even locally - Madison has fewer restaurants and downtown shops than both East Lyme and Old Saybrook.

If one seeks the convenience of malls, food, big box stores, ...etc Madison is not the best choice along the central and eastern Connecticut coast.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Obviously you don’t spend much time on the Connecticut coast;

Old Saybrook and East Lyme are close to the largest shopping area between Milford, CT and Providence, RI (at exit 82 on I-95). If one seeks proximity to restaurants (both indoor and outdoor), shopping, book stores, clothing stores, etc they would want to be closer to either Milford or Waterford. Madison, while a nice beach town, is stuck right in the middle on a shopping void: It’s 25 miles (and the traffic of the Q Bridge) to get to a mall in Milford….and it’s 25 – miles to get to the big shopping area at exit 82 in Waterford. Even locally - Madison has fewer restaurants and downtown shops than both East Lyme and Old Saybrook.

If one seeks the convenience of malls, food, big box stores, ...etc Madison is not the best choice along the central and eastern Connecticut coast.
I agree. If the OP thinks Guilford is too far, then Madison will most likely be too far also. It is only the next town over from Guilford. Madison is a nice town but it is a suburb of New Haven and not close to Plainfield. Also it is not near any large scale shopping and will be more expensive than towns closer to Plainfield. Jay

Old 08-25-2011, 04:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
All of those towns are a hike from Plainfield, honestly. I would look into North Stonington or Montville. Maybe even Preston.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:11 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,976,191 times
Old Saybrook has the Katherine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center. Niantic has cinema downtown that plays some artsy movies at times. I personally love Niantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut